Mondeo v 407 v Freelander

Apr 14, 2006
Visit site
We're looking at getting a used car to tow our new (year old) Elddis Xplore 6 berth and have narrowed it down to the bwlow cars. Conventional wisdom would say to go for the Freelander as it's heavier and is a 4X4 jeep. But the power and torque of the Mondeo and 407 is far superior to the Freelander, which kinda confuses me a little, suggesting going for one of cars is a better option. What do people suggest.

The Elddis weights 1109kg with a 200kg max loading giving 1309kg.

Mondeo 2.0l TDCi Estate 130bhp 250lbs 81%

407 2.0 Est 134bhp 240lbs 80%

Freelander 2.0 Td4 110bhp 190lbs 78%

Thanks in adance.

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
A lot depends on when and where you caravan, if it i either all year round or on CL/ rally sites with grass then the 4x4 Freelander will aleays be the prefered option.As front wheel drive ten to spin/slip on wet/snow/ice. Nothing wrong with Ford or 407 but I personally would go the 4x4 option on every occasion.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian I have towed with both the Freelander for 9 years and the Mondeo briefly. In my opinion I would go for the Freelander every time. The pros being 4x4, comfortable, economical for the type of vehicle. The cons being reliability, could do with more power for acceleration and hills and head winds. The Mondeo pulls like a train, but if on wet grass you will suffer wheel spin. As said by Ian depends when and where you go caravanning. I also found the Mondeo incredibly uncomfortable so went back to the Freelander. Now tow with a Sorento, now that really is a tow car.

Apr 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. As for the when and where... we're Northern Ireland and will hopefully go away every second weekend to proper sites. Don't do Rallies. I'm getting a loan of my bro-in-laws Freelander (the one we might be buying) to collect our new 'van. So at least I can get a test drive towing the 'van.

Still really undecided wheather to go for the 4x4 or a car.

Thanks.

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Brian. I currently tow our Bailey Ranger with an Audi A6 Avant having previously towed with a Sorento. I have to say that I actually find the Audi a better tow car. It feels far more stable and pulls no problem at all, I always found the Kia to be a very twitchy car and didn't like the ride at all. We never rally or go to CL sites so don't need a 4x4, i'm also getting 15 miles per gallon more with the Audi. I'm noticing more and more people resorting to towing with large 'family cars' and I for one would never go back to a 4x4.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It is a personal choice but we used a Merc ML for several years but eventually opted for an Audi A4 with the 170 ps1 diesel engine. On roads, it towed beautifully and turned in about 29 mpg towing 1300 kg. However, in attempting to reverse on to a muddy pitch on a very slight slope, the clutch came close to burning out. Essentially, a great tow car on road, very poor off road. We now have a Freelander 2 and it is also a suberb tow car on road and is equally good in the mud but we only achieve 25 mpg towing, carefully.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
You could of cause have the quattro drive with A4 or A6, my first 4x4 was the A4 avant quattro. Ran it for nearly 5 years.

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

While a 4x4 like a Freelander may be able to always get you on and off muddy pitches, I have found the diesel Mondeo to be an excellent towcar for a van of similar mass as yours. It is very stable at motorway speeds. It has also also always got me out of 'sticky' pitches without problems - just keep your foot off everything and it winds itself out! It may be worth looking out for one of the 2.2 litre, 155 bhp models, which I have - just that bit more poke.

Cheers

Paul

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Check out your insurance band, tax band, and MPG - and like us you may go for the Mondeo. We've had Mondeo's for lots of years, and never had a problem. They make a more than adequate tow car, insurance is cheap, car tax is not too high, emissions are not a problem, and its cheap to service...... - an all round winner, and it tows well too!

We regularly do the A75 in France - lots of long uphills, and long downhills, and the Mondeo copes just dine. It will never be subject to those conditions in England - so if you're sticking to British roads you'll be fine with a Mondeo (cheaper to buy, too!!!)

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
The 407 has the best engine but suffers from more than its fair share of suspension & steering faults.

The freelander 1 is un-reliable & best avoided. The 2 is very good tho.

So it has to be the Mondeo.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Not sure of the age of the three cars you are looking at, but in recent years they have all shared the same excellent (Peugeot/Citroen) engines, so there should be no difference in the power department, but the Freelander is obviously heavier and less streamlined so will be less spritely on a public road.

Keith

Apr 14, 2006
Visit site
Not sure of the age of the three cars you are looking at, but in recent years they have all shared the same excellent (Peugeot/Citroen) engines, so there should be no difference in the power department, but the Freelander is obviously heavier and less streamlined so will be less spritely on a public road.

Keith
Just reporting back....

We picked up the Freelander, then went and got the Elddis and it was joy from start to finish ('cept for reversing with the 'van, but I'm sure that will come back to me). But cruising along at 65mph was fine, not a bother, and we even over-took a car on a long long hill.

Car, loaded with two adults and two kids, caravan loaded with gas and full size awning. Anyway, we were very very pleased with the towing performance. We're not too fussed on the Road Tax (as we get it paid for us, through a disability scheme) so I think it's gonna be the Freelander. BTW: it's a 2006 model.

The other thing with buying used cars is it's always a bit of gamble with its history. At least we know the history of this car, as it's my bro-in-laws Freelander.

Thanks to all.

Apr 14, 2006
Visit site
Just reporting back....

We picked up the Freelander, then went and got the Elddis and it was joy from start to finish ('cept for reversing with the 'van, but I'm sure that will come back to me). But cruising along at 65mph was fine, not a bother, and we even over-took a car on a long long hill.

Car, loaded with two adults and two kids, caravan loaded with gas and full size awning. Anyway, we were very very pleased with the towing performance. We're not too fussed on the Road Tax (as we get it paid for us, through a disability scheme) so I think it's gonna be the Freelander. BTW: it's a 2006 model.

The other thing with buying used cars is it's always a bit of gamble with its history. At least we know the history of this car, as it's my bro-in-laws Freelander.

Thanks to all.

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
we had an audi a6 towing an elddis odyssey 524, do rallying and CL's - it was a nightmare for slipping and getting stuck, now tow with a FL2 - amazing difference - go 4x4 every time

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Just reporting back....

Thanks to all.
Don't boast too loudly about breaking the legal speed limit !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts