Mondeo Vs Passat

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I have recently changed jobs and now qualify for a company car. We have narrowed the choice down to the 2.0 tdi 140 bhp versions of the Mondeo or Passat. Both would tow our van no problem so we really cant decide which way to go.

Any thoughts either way?

Thanks in anticipation.

Martin

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a Mondeo as my next company car,i test drove one for the weekend and thought it was a great drive and very comfortable but as a company car driver the emmissions on the 2.0.tdi are 165 and it is only a euro 4 engine.

The car tax was

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys,

My company car scheme works slightly differently to a standard one in that I lease the car and the company contributes the majority of the lease cost. The part I pay equates roughly to the level of tax that I would pay on a conventional car scheme.

Conseqently the cost of the Passat is slightly higher than the Mondeo but only very slightly - not enough to unduly influence me either way. Its purely a case of which car is the best.

Not really a badge snob by the way (well not that much anyway!!)

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Martin

Have you considered, the Mazda 6.Now fitted with the 2.2 diesel.

Outputs of 161 bhp or 182 bhp are available.

Rather than settle for the ford & passat 140, which only gives out 138 bhp.

Ford handling with Mazda reliability?

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have owned and towed with both and I would agree with some of the earlier comments. The Mondeo is a much better drive but the VW has a feeling of quality to it. Dont get me wrong the Ford is not shabby (I had the Ghia) but the Pasat just feels a bit better put together. Both are great tow cars by the way. The wife has just remined me that the Passat made our kids more travel sick than the Mondeo.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I quite like the Mazda but the better half is not so keen so that ones out.

Edging just towards the Mondeo I think but still time to be swayed either way.

Thanks again, Martin.

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Not driven a new Mondeo but I have the 140 Passat (57 plate Sport saloon version) as a co car and I would say the clutch/gear ratio makes positioning the van tricky sometimes. First & reverse gears (in comparison to our X-Trail) are quite high, which leads to a LOT of clutch slipping when manouvering the van. First time out the clutch stank for about an hour after having to reverse the van up a grassy slope onto an awkward pitch. Seems to have recovered and showing no signs of damage now but it does still concern me. Its also difficult in stop-start traffic or hill starts with the van again due to the high gearing. Tows brilliantly well on the motorway though.

Jan 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Martin

I have taken delivery of the new mondeo titanium X estate in the last two months and towed my 06 Pageant Bordeaux over Christmas to the south coast. Prior to the mondy I towed with my 04 Passat saloon 130 tdi. Both cars towed superbly.. both are company cars.. would I have been given the VW option as the replacement instead of the mondy which would I have chosen ??? its just the badge.. I was never a Ford man however as the new Mondy I understand is based on the Volvo S80 floorpan and the Volvo V50 on the Focus floorpan then whats in the badge ? Me I'm dead happy with the Mondy and trust it will give me many years service with the 'van in tow.

Catsparkey

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Weve just had a new mondeo, check they supply a hook up lead that fits it first. We have to go back to them as the lead they supplied won't go on the connection.

Our previous car was a mondeo, the new one isn't a patch on the old one.

They've changed the seats , the peddles ( I now have to have a block attached to the gas) Can't afford to change now. If we could it would be the audi a6 for me...ummmmmm more expensive though

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Have just covered 1000 miles (solo) in new Mondeo titanium Estate. Very impressed so far - great car to drive,supurb ride,very comfortable,loads of room and well specced. Lots of go in the 2 litre 140 version.

Only downside is car is (feels)long

G

Thanks everyone for your input. We have settled on the Mondeo tdci Titanium.
Good choice

Have owned and towed with both (previous models). Passat had new gearbox and a/c system at 72,000 (ouch, my own car) The Mondeo has passed that with no issues, and in my view drives better, beware the badge - build quailty is known to be an issue now on latest vw's, check owners forums.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts