Mondeo wheels

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi - in the process of ordering a new Mondeo diesel. One dealer has offered to fit 18" alloys instead of the standard 16" alloys for a reasonable cost. Would appreciate any comments regarding the advantages of 18" over 16", if any, but especially regarding better towing, wear and ride.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Im afraid I cant help regarding the advantages/disadvantages of the wheel size,BUT be sure to let your insurance company know IF you have them fitted.They could be construed as a modification (not standard Fit) & in the case of a claim could allow them a way out of paying out.This also applies to a tow bar if fitted

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Zackie
I'm no vehicle expert but surely if you fit wheels of a greater diameter than the vehicle design size it will create some problems. I'm sure someone like Lutz will put me right here but a bigger wheel diameter = greater circumference = greater distance travelled in one wheel revolution. Would not, therefore, the speedometer and mileometer and anything else connected with distance be incorrect as I assume these operate based on an assumed distance travelled, ie wheel circumference? There would also be a bit less space between the tyre and the wheel arch. Traction control, (standard on later Mondeos) may also be thrown into a bit of a tizz and not work correctly. You may also find that, as I believe there will be more stress on the engine, you may not be able to use 6th gear so readily when towing. This would increase fuel consuption a bit.
Fitting larger wheels may also be construed as increasing the performance of the car = higher insurance especially as it would then be 'non-standard'. Longer term, bigger tyres = more money when you need to change them although I suppose they may last a little bit longer as the total number of revolutions per mile will be less.
I have a Mondeo with standard 16" wheels and have to say it tows like a dream and has no ride problems at all.
Hope this helps.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
John
With larger wheels it does not mean the tyre overall diameter is bigger, its stays the same. It just means there is less rubber ie lower profile. Therefore the rolling distance in one revolution is the same.
Some people say that because there is less side wall to flex then stability is better, but my car doesn't have low profile tyres so I have no personal experience.

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
As has already been stated, the larger size wheels mean that the profile of the tyre is reduced but the overall size of the wheel and tyre combination stays the same. The visual effect is that the car looks sportier. Because there is less is less tyre wall to absorbs bumps the ride quality will be affected. Usually the ride if harsher with more buffeting from potholes and other imperfections in the road surface transfered to the car. As for towing,you will probably find because of the firmer ride the movement of the caravan is more noticable. The safety of the car shouldn't be affected just the comfort.

G

Don't?!....
Yes they look great but like for like, the tyres are more than twice the price when it comes to replace them!!!

Also and being stuck with them, I find they will follow every grove in the road so far less forgiving than higher profile tyres fitted to standard wheels, Have to say though, you can have some fun through the corners, the harder you push the better they grip?!

As an example and forget cheaper 'budget' tyres, they just don't work, I've just had two new Michelin sport 3 fitted, 245/40x18, etyres want £220 each! about £90 for exactly the same standard 205/55x16 tyres.
However, if your sold on the look and a bit mad on the bends?, my local independent tyre dealer, bless him, got me this pair for £290 so I'm smiling
smiley-smile.gif

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
zackie said:
Hi - in the process of ordering a new Mondeo diesel. One dealer has offered to fit 18" alloys instead of the standard 16" alloys for a reasonable cost. Would appreciate any comments regarding the advantages of 18" over 16", if any, but especially regarding better towing, wear and ride.
Bigger wheels are fitted as a fashion statement - apart from on a race track the extra grip from a very low profile tyres is of little use to most drivers who don't drive at the limit. Ride comfort will deteriorate a lot with bigger rims and tyre replacement costs will be higher.
If the dealer's being generous ask to keep the 16" wheels and get a further discount!

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
As said above, stick with the standard 16" ones. Cheaper tyres, less wear and tear on the running gear, less chance of a pothole buckling a rim and much more comfortable.
I did the experiments with my old car (Discovery 3) using 17", 19", 20" and 22" rims. The 17" were by far the most comfy ride whereas the 22" made it almost un-driveable. Best on road were 19" and best off road were 17". 17" tyres started at about 75 quid a pop whereas the cheapest 22's were twice that figure. Buying premium brand tyres made the difference even more ridiculous.
Definitely stick with the standard rims.
smiley-smile.gif

May 8, 2010
Visit site
We have very low profile tyres on our Mondeo (bought new), and it is fine with no noticable problems with ride or towing, the tyres are very expensive to replace though. can't say if regular tyres are better as never had them on this car.
Our car came with a sport pack, of alloys, spoiler and stiffened suspension, we didn't choose it particularly, it was just what they had in stock nearest to the spec we wanted.

I think the only advantage is aesthetic really, as low profile tyres are fashionable, and as others have pointed out there may be disadvantages.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have 17” with a full tyre on my vec making it bigger than the std 16”. If they are optional when new, then they are not a modification! (Although body kits can have an effect). And they will not effect any of the measuring instruments. They are great when travelling down hill with the car being controlled by the computer but you do quickly pick up speed and going up hill is easier because of the greater travel per revolution but there is a tendency to wheel spin more easily, even before the TC clicks in. Once you get used to the increase in size (as the bishop said etc) you don’t have any problems but! on slippy grass pulling a van you really do have to concentrate.

Original continental tyres are about £160ea and rated to 130mph, other branded tyres are about £100ea and rated at 150mph. I had 4 brand new, for £200, 8 months ago fully balanced and fitted. You have to shop in the back street and haggle. So cost is not really an issue unless you go for low profile.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The wheelspin problem problem that Kelvin encounters can have nothing to do with the wheel size, but only with tyre width and/or tread pattern and rubber compound. A different brand of tyre or a slightly narrower tyre could make a world of difference.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all.
on the subject of sports wheels I have only one comment to make which sums up my view of them " the last car I had with sports wheels will be the last car I have with sports wheels".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kelvin,
In your last post you state you had 17" rims with full size tyres fitted to replace 16" rims. Now if I have understood your comment correctly, that means the diameter of the whole wheel will have increased. An inch increase on 16"in diameter will give about a 3% increase in the circumference of the tyre, which corresponds to about 3 to 4% under-read of speed and milage.

Unless there is some special adjustment in the cars ECU that controls speed readings, the systems will under read speed and mileage, meaning the car is actiulaly traveling faster and further than indicated.

There are regulations that cover the permitted error in a cars speedometer reading. They must never indicate a slower speed than the cars actual real speed, and typically they will over read by 2 to 5%. It is possible therefore that your car fitted with the larger diameter wheels may under-read your real speed, which is not only endangering your licence but is illegal from the construction and use regulations.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
One cannot deduce what Kevin means by 'full size' tyres without knowing what aspect ratio they had on his 16" and 17" wheels. Normally, lower aspect ratio tyres are fitted when larger wheels are used, so the net change in overall diameter should be minimal.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Fitting larger overall diameter tyres can have serious implications regarding the wheel envelope and hence clearance to other suspension and body components in full bounce and/or full lock.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Agreed lutz but if they are an optioal extra, then the manufacturer as already worked this out. Apparently the std for my vec c is 215/55 or 50 but it can take 225/55's on the same hubs. What I think should be looked at more closely is the letter configuration e.g. mine are WXL's (w=max 168mph and XL=extra load). I would have thought for pulling a van 'XL's' should be a must!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As the GVW must not be exceeded whether towing or not, the maximum static load on the tyres will not be higher when towing a caravan.
In the homologation list for the 2002-2008 Vectra I can only find releases for the following optional tyres: 215/50 R17, 215/55 R16, and 225/45 R17.
225/55 R17 is not approved and the 215/50 R17 only without snow chains. The 17" tyres need 7J rims and the 16" ones 6½J ones

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Lutz please link your source of infomation because I have checked avialability and it say yes it will take them? I have not got them on but hard facts need back up. To offer off hand max load as never been an issue shows imaturity - at full pay load you are saying that you never hit a bump and hence never exceed the down ward pressure pushing the load over max pay load.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As Opel is responsible also for the homologation of Vauxhall models, the data that I have is all in German so I doubt whether the link would be of much use to you, but if you let me know whether it's a saloon or an estate car, the model year, the engine designation and the EU type approval number shown on the VIN plate of your car, I could copy an excerpt out of the respective homologation details (the full pdf file covering the tyre equipment of all Vauxhall Opel models encompasses 251 pages), together with a translation of the terms mentioned and post a scan of the information in this thread.
The noseweight is part of the payload of the car so towing the caravan has no influence on its GVW.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll help, What you say is in the owners manual and I am not disagreeing with you - read what I have put!

What you will not find in the manuals are the things that can be safely done that have been found by others. An example of this is the air box modification! To reduce noise a small plastic piece is fitted in the airbox (pre filter) but this in some cases creates a stutter/flat at 1500/2000 revs, by removing it helps smooth out the engine acceleration but it is a bit noisier.

With high torque and low revs it is very easy to spin a vec c, when I first had it (from new) The answer I got was because of the larger wheels especially when friction is deminished i.e. grit, water, oil! but as I have previuosly said you adjust to compensate. Having now experienced larger wheels, I recommend them! Even with the 55 to 50 wall %age differance if you follow the link I posted earlier there is a dfference.

Please post the link, I may not be able to read German but my wife can and I suspect many others will be able to! Mind you when ordering parts I have to quote Vauxhall not Opal because they have different part numbers?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've uploaded the pdf file to the following link:
Opel/Vauxhall Tyre/Wheel Combination Data
To save ploughing through all the pages, the details for the Vectra saloon are on pages 131 to 152 and for the estate, pages 168 to 196.
"Gen.-Nr." is the EU type approval number (I think that the last two digits, the ones in red in the chart, refer to the year that approval was given.)
"Einpresstiefe" is the wheel offset in millimeters
"zul." means approved
"nicht zul." means not approved
"Nur als Sommerreifen" means approved for summer tyres only, i.e. snow chains must not be fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With regards to my last posting, and Lutz answer,

Thank you Lutz, I was aware that differnt tyre profiles may eliminate any overall wheel diameter effects, It was Kelvins comment of 'Full Sized' that concerned me, If the larger rim had the the same tyre profile, then as I stated the the increased circumference would lead to circa 3% to 4% in speed and distance measures.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
OK! Apparently although my external rims are 17.5” they are indeed only 16” wheels so my assumption that 215/55 were on 17” is incorrect. Although it is possible to put 215/55 on 17” it would as prof says alter the speed read out!

I bought the car from new understanding that I had 17” wheels on, which gives me a problem?!? My speedo reads 1.5mph down at 70mph and the difference between 215/55 r16 and 215/50 r17 is about that. I only found this out last year, I just go into the tyre place and say put tyres on this please and haggle over the price. Only once have I left the car with a tyre fitter and I had all 4 changed. The last 4 I had were a lot cheaper but I put this down to the times. Looks like I was done the time before, there is no difference in look between 16” and 17” vectra c, GSI wheels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts