Mondeo wheels

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The rolling radius of a 215/55 R16 is 321mm and that of a 215/50 R17 is 323mm, a difference of only 0.6%.
The 215/55 R17, which has a rolling radius of 334mm, is not featured in the homologation list of the Vectra so presumably it would cause wheel clearance problems.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Not according to my conversations Lutz buts lets not go there again!

You see my uncle works for a Vauxhall dealership in a managerial position. He had the 17” wheels put on for me, when I bought it; he as confirmed this. What is not known is if the ECU can be programmed to suit. My car was one of the first in the country and from what I can gather it basically came in as a blank with everything wired in ready and with an un programmed ECU? So the annoying bit is – some b***er swapped my wheels!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As the homologation data that I posted is the official list, I would seriously question whether, with the inclusion of a 215/55 R17 tyre in their releases, Vauxhall hasn't let an error creep in their information and would therefore insist on written confirmation. I would suspect that they confused the 215/55 R17 with the 215/50 R17.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I may have lead to some confusion. I had not got 215/55/17's on. Because (and my lack of looking correctly) knowing I had 17" wheels on I just assumed they were on the car. I have found that I have not got 17" wheels on and therefore I have said I was incorrect - how planer do I need to put it I was wrong. Why at the onset I had 17" 215/50 on and now I have 16" 215/55's on, I can only speculate that they have been swapped! I can narrow it down to a tyre place in Wednesbury, West Midlands in 2005 because that was when I left the car with them, I am not sure if it is an ATS or NTS, (it's the one oppersite Morrisons) I may have a ride passed to confirm! I know diddly squat about tyres and can only repeat what I am told and I am told that there is enough room to fit 215/55/17's (on 17 hubs) on my vec c, in fact I then checked suppliers and they quote that they will fit. Not that i'm going to but to prove a point, check the suppliers of alloy wheels for vec c's and you will find out! My experiance of Vauxhall is that they either don't know or are economical with the truth.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have no doubt that 215/55 R17's will fit and, with a bit of luck, you may not encounter any wheel clearance problems except in an extreme situation such as braking with the wheel on full lock, but it would be far too risky because, if something like that were to happen, no-one would take the responsibility of any damage to the tyre.
Without confirmation of some sort, one may even be in danger of losing insurance coverage. A verbal statement from the dealer that it 'would be OK' is not going to help.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
HI -Thanks for all your comments and views. Did not think wheels could be such a complex subject. In view of the comments I have decided to go for the standard 16" wheels. Many thanks ZACKIE

G

Good conclusion but as they are a £350+ upgrade, I would be asking some more off to clinch the deal!

Or, the full traction control option is the thing to ask for, going back to tyres, this will save front tyre wear no end!!

G

I thought I'd add one more good reason to NOT 'upgrade', that is these very low profile tyres don't show or indeed feel under pressure very clearly? Infact if I'd not thought the car sounded a bit noisy, I'd not have noticed at all!!

Point being it has just cost me another new tyre due to me not noticing one of my brand new tyres had picked up a carpet tac and was slowly leaking, I've just gone to get it fixed and it's full of shreaded rubber inside!!
Upshot is it went unnoticed much longer than what I thought, it was already half way to being a soft surface for a playground and I'm shelling for another after a few weeks!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts