Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I have had many Mondeos (various derivatives)my present car is a 130 bhp 2.0 TDCI Zetec on a 54 plate and tows 1415KG with ease.However I am looking to change to a newer model around 09 plate.This is where the problem comes 2.0 TDCIs are as rare as hens teeth and very expensive whereas there are more 1.8 TDCIs (125bhp) does anyone know how the 125 bhp performs.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a 58 plate 1.8 TDCI (125 bhp) and it tows very well. Previously had a Passat 1.9 Tdi (54 plate) and the Mondeo, in my opinion, is a better tow car despite the fact that the engine capacity is smaller.

In addition it is a much better car in general driving without a van in tow.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
The 1.8 tdci is an old relic of an engine thats been in use since the 1980's. Granted it has a newer 16v head & a more modern common rail injection system, but it's nowhere near as good as the Ford/Peugeot 2.0 & 2.2 diesels also available in the new mondy.

I'd continue the hunt for a 2.0 if I were you.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello.

I drive a 2007 mondeo 2.0lt tdci ghia 140bhp,took me ages to find it and am pleased I did.

The guy who owned it prior to me went to town on the accessories.

Just been looking on www.bristolstreet.co.uk

They have about a dozen or so 2.0 diesels.

Cheers Al

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
07 plate Mondeo Titainium X. Goes like the wind on a local hill near us in Bristol and accelerates up it which my previous towcar a Shogun 2.5 97 plate could never do. Same caravan. Modern common rail diesel certainly out performs the old pump diesels. Must admit though I do feel that the Shogun never told me I a caravan in tow except for the wieght. Then again I'm not worried as I've plenty of time to get where I need to go.

G

The 1.8 tdci is an old relic of an engine thats been in use since the 1980's. Granted it has a newer 16v head & a more modern common rail injection system, but it's nowhere near as good as the Ford/Peugeot 2.0 & 2.2 diesels also available in the new mondy.

I'd continue the hunt for a 2.0 if I were you.
Err Glen, you sound like you are implying that the 2.0 and 2.2 litre engines are ford/peugeot derived in both the older upto 2007 mondeo and the newer range that plotter is asking about.

Thats not correct, the newer range is indeed a shared engine, but the pre 2007 are fords own, and have nothing to do with Peugeot.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Err Glen, you sound like you are implying that the 2.0 and 2.2 litre engines are ford/peugeot derived in both the older upto 2007 mondeo and the newer range that plotter is asking about.

Thats not correct, the newer range is indeed a shared engine, but the pre 2007 are fords own, and have nothing to do with Peugeot.
Which even these are developments of the "old" XUD cylinder blocks.But is'nt that what most power units are?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts