More on Calor's 6kg Lite cylinders

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Prof, yes I know the bottles should have a "Tag" but just thinking about refilling bottles on motor homes/ cars. Hopefully soon the users will have a Swipecard to state, compliance with regs. Etc. But as you say until the unfortunate situation of fatalities at a refuel station, happens it will never happen.
I have seen "kits" to refill calor gas "cylinders, from lpg stations. Totally iresponsable, and dangerous.
But people do it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Hi Prof, yes I know the bottles should have a "Tag" but just thinking about refilling bottles on motor homes/ cars. Hopefully soon the users will have a Swipecard to state, compliance with regs. Etc. But as you say until the unfortunate situation of fatalities at a refuel station, happens it will never happen.
I have seen "kits" to refill calor gas "cylinders, from lpg stations. Totally iresponsable, and dangerous.
But people do it.

As you will be aware I will not condone refilling rented bottles, but I'm not going to get into that debate now, but the point I was making about incidents and the test status of cylinders was not just related to incidents at the filling station, but to any incident where an out of date or damaged cylinder has been filled by or at a station , and it has been implicated in any incident elsewhere.

I suspect that when filling stations do their staff training, they fail to impart the importance of following the safety checks before allowing a cylinder or tank to be refuelled.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Prof, I was thinking more along the line of, when a person pulls up at an lpg. Pump do the staff , see the bottle or do you just connect and fill. And then pay. If so it sounds a bit "cowboy" system to me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Hi Prof, I was thinking more along the line of, when a person pulls up at an lpg. Pump do the staff , see the bottle or do you just connect and fill. And then pay. If so it sounds a bit "cowboy" system to me.

How each company operates is fundamentally down to their own training and procedures, I was trained to refill portable cylinders in an industrial context, We had about 10 Cylinders which were used at various points around our site for a range of purposes. and we filled them from a bulk tank with pressure pump.

We had to check the cylinders for damage, and were not time expired (for pressure testing), Record the serial number its stated tare weight and its measured tare weight. If there was a difference it meant the cylinder was not completely empty. We could only fill it by weight, and it must not exceed its stated capacity added to its tare weight.

A slight problem can be each time the bottle is refilled with commercial grade LPGs., the new gas will have some contaminants which will gradually build up inside the cylinder. In reality this isn't going to be very much, pergaps a few grammes, but it is important that these contaminants are periodically washed out, which is one of the things Calor and other rental firms do this with their bottles.

Periodically our cylinders had to be sent away to our bottle supplier to be completely emptied and hydraulically pressure tested. They were returned with new valve gear and a collar stating the next due date for testing.

That was our system, but others may exist. Commercially gas is sold by weight, so if there are a build up of contaminants, customer s will not be getting their correct measure of LPG. So there is weights and Measures element to there are approved codes of practice for the refilling process, but it is up to the business involved to devise their own management systems.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Asked Safefill ref the 10 year check and here is their reply
"Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately, at this stage, we are unable to specify a costing for a recheck in ten years time. We do not wish to be evasive but it is very difficult to predict what the cost will be, possibly it will be almost the same as the cost of a new cylinder but this again will be very dependent.
We hope this does not deter you from joining Safefill as most of our users comment on the amount of money they save every time they fill up.

We are sorry we cannot be more definite but hope this information has helped in some way.

So looks like £17 a year to have one?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After contacting Calor via the link in Lizzie Popes thread I have now received an invite to participate in their user/customer survey for the replacement cylinder to the 6 kg Calorlite. It is interesting as the preamble tells me that the Calorlite is being withdrawn and the new cylinder will be introduced March 2019. This contradicts information given to another contributor under a thread discussing the security of external Locker doors. Where a Calor representive told the Poster that Calorlite were still being issued if they passed inspection and test, and the new cylinder was due end of 2017.
Left and right hand? Perhaps PC could get something official out of Calor. I can't eke out my Calorlite for another 18 months.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
The 2 I bought yesterday were from a Calor branch, not some other distributor and then I called Calor head office. Anyway the 2 bottles look brand new, and are dated 2015/06. So whatever anyone says, some lite bottles are still being circulated. I have pictures but do not know how to post them. Will keep an eye for any feedback or just wait for when the new ones come out and swap as they suggested I do. Chow

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I guess that there will still be some in circulation but it's the conflicting info from Calor regarding the supply of existing Calorlite and the introduction of a new cylinder. End of 2017 and March 2019; not much difference there! My Calorlite came with the caravan so I have no "rental" document. I'm eking out my gas so that when I get home I can source an empty 6 kg standard bottle and hang on to the Calorlite otherwise I will be forced to pay the rental on Calor new type bottle whenever that is introduced.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
otherclive said:
I guess that there will still be some in circulation but it's the conflicting info from Calor regarding the supply of existing Calorlite and the introduction of a new cylinder. End of 2017 and March 2019; not much difference there! My Calorlite came with the caravan so I have no "rental" document. I'm eking out my gas so that when I get home I can source an empty 6 kg standard bottle and hang on to the Calorlite otherwise I will be forced to pay the rental on Calor new type bottle whenever that is introduced.

Hi otherclive,

Are you suggesting that if you have an existing calor-lite bottle it will be accepted for exchange for calor-lite mark 2 (when it comes along), if so then perhaps I should hold on to mine.

Thanks, Anseo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
otherclive said:

Hi otherclive,

Are you suggesting that if you have an existing calor-lite bottle it will be accepted for exchange for calor-lite mark 2 (when it comes along), if so then perhaps I should hold on to mine.

That's what Calor are saying. And proof of purchase of a Calorlite will also be accepted. However I have contacted Calor Alastair Todd to suggest that many owners of Calorlite may not have a specific receipt for the bottle. So could Calor authorise their supplier outlets to issue a receipt for a Calorlite if the User has to exchange for a standard 6kg propane due to non availability of Calorlite. The receipt could then be used to then exchange standard 6kg back for the newly developed Calorlite replacement when it comes to market.

Thanks, Anseo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apologies for poor editing but it's being done in a packed up van ready to head south from Badenoch to Northumberland given the forecast for Oban next week. Look forward to the Queensferry Crossing.
The Calor Survey via Lizzies original post gives users a good chance to put their views forwards.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
otherclive said:
Apologies for poor editing but it's being done in a packed up van ready to head south from Badenoch to Northumberland given the forecast for Oban next week. Look forward to the Queensferry Crossing.
The Calor Survey via Lizzies original post gives users a good chance to put their views forwards.

You can sort out the 'editing' anytime, in the meantime have a good trip South, let us know what you think of the new Queensferry crossing please.

Safe journey :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
otherclive said:

You can sort out the 'editing' anytime, in the meantime have a good trip South, let us know what you think of the new Queensferry crossing please.

Safe journey :)

I am at risk of being accused of digressing from the topic. But the Queensferry Crossing is magnificent. The weather was bright high cloud and sun. As you approach from the north the bridge curved gently away to the right and you see all of its support towers and the pyramidical array of cables. Then as you line up to enter the bridge the cables seem to visibly merge into a single thread. It's on a par with the Millau Viaduct. Only glitch is my satnav kept telling me to " drive to the highlighted route" which of course was the old bridge. But the signage for the QFC is spot on.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No problems on diversion , lads, otherwise we wouldn't get infomation,
Butback on OT. The way I read it , when you hand in a lite, you might only get a "heavy". But when the "New lites" appear you can, replace as normal.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Think you are wrong EH52ARH, my understanding is that if you allow your 'Lites' to disappear you will not be able to change the heavy for the new design 'Lite' if you don't have the original Lite agreement?? But of course you'll get away with paying!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Think you are wrong EH52ARH, my understanding is that if you allow your 'Lites' to disappear you will not be able to change the heavy for the new design 'Lite' if you don't have the original Lite agreement?? But of course you'll get away with paying!

That's my understanding too.
I would encourage all to participate in the survey as it gives the opportunity to input your own specific comments. That's where I initially suggested that if you have to exchange a lite for a standard bottle the seller could give you a receipt for the lite as proof you have exchanged it. The receipt could then be used when exchanging the standard bottle for the new lite. Without proof of ownership of a Calorlite I don't think Calor will exchange the standard bottle for the new lite. I also specifically emailed Calor to suggest they give users of Calorlite this option if they have no option but to exchange their Calorlite for a standard bottle due to unavailability of Calorlite.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Calorlite was running towards low and I bought another one from a small garage in Embleton Northumberland and the lady gave me a receipt on headed note paper. Next task when I get home is to source an empty standard 6 kg propane then hang on to the Calorlite until the new cylinder arrived. A van pitched nearby had two Gaslights in the front locker. Plan to talk to owner re availability of Gaslight exchange when requiring a new bottle.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A few months ago Lizzy, told us about the Calor lite site asking Caravanners and Motorhome cousins, to contact, I have done this and recieved 1 email from them about my interest.
Has anyone recieved anything more from Calor.
Still have 1 full and a 3/4 bottle. But as Others have told me, you need to get a recipe to say you have handed in lite bottle. If they ever bring out a new one.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
The status as far as I can tell:

I bought 2 new bottles only a few months ago, both new looking lite bottles as per this pic.
http://www.qis-uk.co.uk/Pics/Calor%201.JPG
If you read their latest statement you will see only bottles made in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 are involved and if you look at both my bottles you will see (well the one in the picture) is 06/2015 which is fine, tested and safe for use.
http://www.qis-uk.co.uk/Pics/Calor%202.JPG
On top of that they drill a hole in the aluminium plate as shown in their statement to show it is tested and safe.
Calor site info http://www.qis-uk.co.uk/Pics/Calor%203.JPG
All the rest said in this thread still applies and they say they will introduce a new range next year and the older bottles can be changed. (To my knowledge)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes I received an email linking me to the user survey which I responded to. When I had a van serviced in Sept 2016 I bought a Calorlite. However whilst it was included in the invoice I didn’t receive a rental agreement. Didn’t think anything of it as you only get peanuts if you trade them back. Then when Calor announced their withdrawal I thought I would be left high and dry if I hadn’t got an agreement or a Calorlite to exchange when new bottles come out. But my local service center had my invoice on their records so they will let me have one of the new cylinders even if by then I have had to return to the 6kg propane. But at present they are still obtaining supplies of Calorlite. I gather Calor are still inspecting returns and if I’m good condition they are refilled and sent out again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Grey 13 they wiĺl replace your old calor lite with a heavy if a lite is not vailable but you have to get a receipt for the lite to be able to get a "New"lite if they ever bring them out. Dont know why when the lites and heavy are interchangable, but Calor will not reply to my questions on this.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They are interchangeable if Calorlite are not available at the outlet. It is to aid customer retention to Calor pending availability of the new bottle in 2019.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Went today to get a new Calor gas Cylinder, as my Calor lite ran out prior to going away last weekend and the main Calor dealer in Bedford said he had more than 50 of the lite cyclinders. He reckons that the problem is now, a lack of the heavy steel ones. He says there is now not a shortage of lites but you can only exchange them from the main dealers or caravan suppliers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes I’ve not had a problem obtaining Calorlite from the caravan outlets. It would be nice if Calor could shine some more light on their plans for a replacement as Spring 2019 seems a long way off when you’re eking your supplies out.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I read somewhere that Calor are testing the new Cylinders in Holland, and they will be a fiberglass type of cyclinder, as per the BP gaslites

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts