More on Calor's 6kg Lite cylinders

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry that the email link doesn't work for everyone – I've tested it and can't see why it shouldn't. If it doesn't, you can copy the email address from the article and paste it into an email. Hope that helps!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The link worked for me.
It is a pity the cylinders are being dropped but we will have to wait and see if the next generation do better when they arrive.

gyp

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I use Calor Lite purely for the weight saving. To change to the 6kg Steel cylinder will cause me much trouble in getting low enough to meet the nose weight allownace of my car.

I would be happy to revert to the small 3.9 kg cylinder but am not sure if calor will allow this change. I have e-mailed the above e mail address and asked the question.
The other choice is to buy a Gaslight ( Was BP) cylinder from Homebase.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One disadvantage of the standard 6 kg cylinder is that the tare weights vary considerably. If I have to go back to standard propane 6 kg cylinders I plan to take the spare wheel out of the front locker and carry it over or just behind the axle. Then when on site put it back into its locker stowage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
One disadvantage of the standard 6 kg cylinder is that the tare weights vary considerably. If I have to go back to standard propane 6 kg cylinders I plan to take the spare wheel out of the front locker and carry it over or just behind the axle. Then when on site put it back into its locker stowage.

Yes Tare weights can vary quite a lot. Its principally due to fact that when a gas supplier buys more cylinders, they rarely design the cylinders them selves but purchase from anyone who can make them. They obviously have to meet certain standards for pressure containment etc, but the tare weight is not a fixed value, even from cylinders from teh same manufacturers batch, hence teh need for teh tare weight to be quoted on each cylinder.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
otherclive said:

Yes Tare weights can vary quite a lot. Its principally due to fact that when a gas supplier buys more cylinders, they rarely design the cylinders them selves but purchase from anyone who can make them. They obviously have to meet certain standards for pressure containment etc, but the tare weight is not a fixed value, even from cylinders from teh same manufacturers batch, hence teh need for teh tare weight to be quoted on each cylinder.

Yes it would help if for any new "leisure" cylinder Calor tightened up on the tare weight specification. If it is a specific "leisure" cylinder they would charge a premium as for Calorlite, so they would recoup any increased manufacturing costs. Camping Gaz tare weights don't vary much. I have fed my various thoughts back to Calor.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I think you can reasonably assume that the 'value' of a lightweight composite bottle (such as gaslight) is somewhere in the region of £50 as that is the typical deposit. (Of course you never technically own a gaslight bottle).

Safefill add a few additional bits (float valve, etc) and have to undertake all the approval processes for their product. Still must leave a tidy (but not unreasonable) profit margin. The real issue is just how easy is it in your area to refill. Many forecourts still refuse to allow filling of portable cylinders, whatever the type. That along with how much gas you get through.

Also, don't forget that it is your bottle and you will incur the expense of having it retested in 10-15 years time (at a cost no one seems able to establish).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a concern that owners who aren't aware of the need for retesting every 10 years may be creating a potential safety risk. They may not even be the original owner, perhaps bought the cylinder on eBay with no knowledge of its history or need for periodic check/ test.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking at this further the Safefill cylinders are made by the same company that makes the Gaslight cylinders which are now marketed by Flogas. Difference being the Flogas Gaslight isn't refillable by the owner/user. If Gaslights are going to be readily available then they offer an alternative to having to go from Calorlite to standard steel Calor propane. Flogas do a home delivery of Gaslight in my area too.

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Crikey £164 for the medium 7.5 kg cylinder.

All dependent on gas usage, now on my second fill at a £15 a fill cheaper than Calor, ten fills and my Safefill will pay for itself, future fills will be pure saving I reckon in year three.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Tugger-Ian said:
otherclive said:
Crikey £164 for the medium 7.5 kg cylinder.

All dependent on gas usage, now on my second fill at a £15 a fill cheaper than Calor, ten fills and my Safefill will pay for itself, future fills will be pure saving I reckon in year three.

I've just changed my Calor lite cylinder after almost exactly a year for another Calor 6kg Lite cylinder, it cost £24.

I had considered changing to a refillable cylinder but at my present rate of gas consumption it's not economic.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been in contact with Flogas who have taken over the marketing and supply of the BP Gaslight cylinder as this looks an attractive alternative should Calorlite completely disappear. When I looked on their website I searched for local suppliers. But the three I tried didn't stock Gaslight. So as availability is important to me I asked Flogas why they weren't pushing the marketing and supply of Gaslight to a greater extent. With Calor on hold probably until well into 2018 I would have thought it a good opportunity to build market share. However if the economics aren't good then just drop it from the marketing website.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
LizziePope said:
Get the latest from Calor Gas on its 6kg Lite cylinders – and how you can help! Please click here.

If you use the email link to Calor you will then receive an acknowledgment letting you know that there will be a consultation survey regarding their way ahead re leisure bottles. You are under no obligation to complete the survey but it does seem as if they are planning this replacement programme taking into account users needs.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It would be interesting to find out how much a 10 year service is on a safefill . Just wondered how you would get it back to them to check over, the royalmail or courier company would refuse to carry anything that possibly contained gas?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MichaelE said:
It would be interesting to find out how much a 10 year service is on a safefill . Just wondered how you would get it back to them to check over, the royalmail or courier company would refuse to carry anything that possibly contained gas?

Contact the bottle supplier and ask the question.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I know Safefill specify a 10 year service, but that does strike me as a long period for something that could be potentially dangerous given the places where it will be filled. Although doing a google search I've not found any reports of incidents.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When you refill these cylinders, do yo have to show a certificate, or is there a "Tag" on the bottle to state whe it was inspected. And who checks that before a refill. ???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
When you refill these cylinders, do yo have to show a certificate, or is there a "Tag" on the bottle to state whe it was inspected. And who checks that before a refill. ???

The filling station has teh right to ask to see teh latest certificate of conformance, and ultimately they may refuse to refill a cylinder if they are unhappy about any aspect of a cylinder. Like so many other safety regulations these seem to be forgotten most of the time. However just watch the excrement hit the fan when a customer has an incident and its found the last filling was carried out past the expiry date of the cylinder!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts