Morn Hill Cc SiteWinchester

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Went some years ago and found it pretty good, if a bit noisy near the road. Best feature is that there is a bus stop just by the pub outside and you can get into Winchester very easily and quickly. Second best is the pub - a harvester, i think.

Lots to see and do round there - try the Royal Armouries Museum at Fort Nelson - interesting and free !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I live in Winchester and know the site quite well, tho' never stopped there for obvious reasons. Morn Hill is a typical CC site, well run and maintained. There are 2 pitching areas, with the reception located at the furthest one (100yds beyond the first). There mnay be some traffic noise from the nearby road, but I don't think it will be too intrusive. There is a good pub at the entrance to the site (Sir Percy Hobbs) which serves good meals and beer. However there are some cracking pubs within a very short drive of the site...The Chestnut Horse and The Cricketers at Easton (turn right at the site entrance and follow country road - passing places - for 2 miles into Easton; or a real genuine old worlde pub in nearby Avington. Near to the site, walking distance is the amazing Intech Centre that will keep kids, and adults occupied for hours if not days! Winchester is approx 2 miles away, it can be easily walked into the city, down hill but would suggest a bus or taxi back "up bank" would be more than acceptable. Winchester has a wealth of history to research and things to see from the majestic cathedral, to the West Gate and Great Hall containing the Round Table. Stay for a week and you will still not have seen it all. Of course there are some very good, and famous, pubs and eateries in the city, try the Wyckham Arms near the Cathedral and the Hotel de Vin in Southgate Street for that unforgettable meal. Within 30 miles or so you also have the Portsmouth Dockyard with HMS Victory as wellas modern warships, Southampton with its West Quay for that shopping extravaganza as well as the Cruise Terminal and the newforest is 30 minutes away. I hope this has whet the appetite for a visit to this ancient capital of England. It's a gem and I say that as an exiled Lakelander!! Any questions please ask.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks to you Ray S and Clubman for the info.about Morn Hill CCsite I reckon we are going to really enjoy this holiday.Thanks again and happy caravanning to you both.Jim

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim

we have used the "upper" part of the site (which has Reception office). This is further away from the road and the pub. Quieter end is furthest from entry gate. Ground can be very hard if dry, so take hammer/strong pegs if putting up an awning. Used site to visit Southampton, Portsmouth (retail therapy at Gunwharf Quay). See historic dockyard at P'mouth. Take ferry to IOW for day trip (book ahead to get better deal than on day).

Enjoy the visit !

Ann & John

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
This is a good site, plenty to do and also a good stop off if you are using the Southampton Ferry.

However, we did stay there a few years ago but the plank who was cutting the grass decided to short out our electrics by cutting through our mains cable with the mower, we were in the van at the time when all the electrics went off.

He then flately denied it....and I got nowhere with compensation from the CC who also denied any responsibility. I now have a new 25m cable and a shorter 18m cable.

Don't be put off by this because it is a good site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts