Most expensive sites .. ever

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Going through my old holiday logs I came across the time we were in France for the Total Eclipse of the sun in 1999.
we left Konopiste in the Czech Republic at 8 am, Austrian Border 9am, Germany 11.03, France and stopped at Aire Gottessharn 9.20pm
about 380 miles. We stayed there with friends who we were travelling with. Eclipse the next day was overcast. A few glimpses of the sun and
very unspectacular.

Prices were in F. No idea of the exchange rate then. Can anyone translate into £?
so perhaps they were not that expensive? But the only reason I must have written them down was because the were OTT.

next day we stopped at Camping Briey, a field with lots of tents, 2*. Cost for 2 people and electricity for one night was 85F with car and caravan
we moved on to Chalon, a municipal, cost there were 111F for 2 of us with electricity, car and caravan..

after that we moved out of the area of the total eclipse to more normal prices!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Prior to the Euro the French Franc was about 10 to the GBP give or take.
Yes, I remember now!

so the sites cost around £10 a night, equivalent today £18.44.(using Bank of England Inflation Calculator) I think it must have bee that the 2* site was really expensive at the time, very crowded with basic facilities, and priced to make the most of a unique situation.

Thanks for helping me remember!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Going through my old holiday logs I came across the time we were in France for the Total Eclipse of the sun in 1999.
we left Konopiste in the Czech Republic at 8 am, Austrian Border 9am, Germany 11.03, France and stopped at Aire Gottessharn 9.20pm
about 380 miles. We stayed there with friends who we were travelling with. Eclipse the next day was overcast. A few glimpses of the sun and
very unspectacular.

Prices were in F. No idea of the exchange rate then. Can anyone translate into £?
so perhaps they were not that expensive? But the only reason I must have written them down was because the were OTT.

next day we stopped at Camping Briey, a field with lots of tents, 2*. Cost for 2 people and electricity for one night was 85F with car and caravan
we moved on to Chalon, a municipal, cost there were 111F for 2 of us with electricity, car and caravan..

after that we moved out of the area of the total eclipse to more normal prices!
Clearly supply and demand works as well in France as it does here.

Reactions: RogerL

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Mentioned this on another topic. Going down to Machrihanish in April to give our new van a "Shake Down" , .... Booked a on site static caravan with all the bells and whistles for 5 family members as a surprise for my wife's 60th when on site ..... £1000 !!!! Two Nights !!!

GAS ...

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Wow. Crazy prices. I was looking on pitch up for a site and came across a small site in the lakes. £35 a night. Looked to see cost for more adults sor a week, 5, I think. £600 for a week in February!

• Wow
Reactions: Bluetonic and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It is worth looking at the ACSI website, several sites in the UK get good discounts with them , not just in Europe. Depends on dates of course.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand as there was no way that I was naming and shaming the site as it is a very nice site as I said, just expensive however many people are willing to pay that price?
The title of this thread is
'Most Expensive Sites..Ever'
I very much doubt if the proprietors of the site that you added a link for would appreciate your assertion that their site is 'not cheap either at up to £75 a night during high season'.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The title of this thread is
'Most Expensive Sites..Ever'
I very much doubt if the proprietors of the site that you added a link for would appreciate your assertion that their site is 'not cheap either at up to £75 a night during high season'.
I understand your reasoning, but my post was definitely not an attempt to shame their site due to cost of the site as it is truly a first class site and we would pay the high cost for even off peak as do not like going anywhere in peak periods.

Apologies as again it seems that my post came across wrong when it was not supposed to come across that way.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I understand your reasoning, but my post was definitely not an attempt to shame their site due to cost of the site as it is truly a first class site and we would pay the high cost for even off peak as do not like going anywhere in peak periods.

Apologies as again it seems that my post came across wrong when it was not supposed to come across that way.
Perhaps my use of the terminology concerning naming and shaming wasn't the best choice, but nevertheless it's doubtful if any site would welcome being linked with a thread concerning the most expensive sites.
Neither you or I know what the reaction of the proprietors would be Buckman, but as a forum moderator I'm here to ensure that no chances are taken which could conceivably involve litigation and expense.
It's no big deal, I only took down a url. 😊

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com

That's funny! I didn't see you there. :D

My late wife and I travelled over for a couple of days and pitched the caravan on a farm field just off the A28 between Abbeville and Rouen. It was entirely unregulated and licenced but the farmer wouldn't let you stay unless you paid for two nights. The eclipse was all over by lunchtime of the first 24 hours.

eclipse-of-the-sun.png or

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Impressed with your photo. What equipment did you use? Exposure etc? I memember a brief thinning of the clouds seeing an orb, briefly and darkness. We were with good friends, so all was worthwhile.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That's funny! I didn't see you there. :D

My late wife and I travelled over for a couple of days and pitched the caravan on a farm field just off the A28 between Abbeville and Rouen. It was entirely unregulated and licenced but the farmer wouldn't let you stay unless you paid for two nights. The eclipse was all over by lunchtime of the first 24 hours.

View attachment 2936 or
Looks stunning

TRENDING THREADS