Motor mover Fitted to an Avondale

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes Colin it is an Alko. I'm guessing that there thinking is that the Classic would hang closer to the ground than the evolution.
I'm comfortable with getting the better mover but just frustrated that via my comunication I haven't managed to get the justification for one as apposed to the other.

I've limited myself a bit really because I know there are other mover suppliers out there but back up in case of problems on site is what swings it for me.
Mind you on a lighter side, if I broke down I wouldn't be able to make a telephone call to them anyway.

Thank you for your reply I'm off to a local caravan dealership to try and find caravans with examples of both models already fitted so as to confirm if my thoughts one hanging lower than the other is right.
Best regards Brian

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I'm coming to this discussion rather late since at the mo I'm away caravanning. I have an Avondale Rialto built in 2001 on an Alko chassis. It is fitted with a Carver mover in front of the wheels and it seems to fit exactly like a Powrtouch model which I fitted to my previous Bailey Pageant. Spare wheel well and drain pipes are all positioned behind the axle.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
brian_c said:
Yes Colin it is an Alko. I'm guessing that there thinking is that the Classic would hang closer to the ground than the evolution.
I'm comfortable with getting the better mover but just frustrated that via my comunication I haven't managed to get the justification for one as apposed to the other.

I've limited myself a bit really because I know there are other mover suppliers out there but back up in case of problems on site is what swings it for me.
Mind you on a lighter side, if I broke down I wouldn't be able to make a telephone call to them anyway.

Thank you for your reply I'm off to a local caravan dealership to try and find caravans with examples of both models already fitted so as to confirm if my thoughts one hanging lower than the other is right.
Best regards Brian
thanks Brian, just confirmed my thinking :S so after fitting 1000,s of Classic [and original] units to caravans with the same configuration as yours they now only want to fit the latest model as the other cheaper units are unsuitable errmm. seems strange that!!.
as for warranty well if it never breaks down you dont need one :whistle: :whistle:

on a lighter note, my mate MO [the farmer] bought a new tractor last year after the [40yo] Massey Ferguson gave up the ghost so he bought a new one, a JCB, ""what's it like said I "" OH brilliant bit of kit it does everything except make toast"" and when it breaks down they come and fix it the same day :woohoo:
"how many times did the old MF break down in 40years ONCE, guess that is what's called progress. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well! I thought I would close out my original post with today's update.

We have finally had the evolution mover fitted to the Avondale.
Two very pleasant guys turned up this morning having made the trip to South Yorkshire from Mid Wales.

They made short work of fitting the new mover and gave me a teach in on its operation. Not really a lot different from my previous power touch, although now the hand set incorporates a choice of speed settings.

With regard to the reason for the Evolution model in preferençe to my first thoughts of the Classic. It is the actual head space that the classic couldn't achieve. On my van the evolution sits when clamped to the chassis about 25mm under the floor of the caravan. The classic requires more clearance than would be available.
I got them into that conversation almost as soon as their feet alighted from the van. One of the lads did get down under and explain whilst showing me the depth available.
He didn't actually have a classic to physically show me but I'm happy with the explanation.
I'm obviously more than happy with the mover and very impressed with the speedy but careful way they installed it.
I suppose Time will now be the judge of how well it performs in the future but at least I can have minimum worries about it for the next five years.

My next project is to confirm if our Kampa 260 air awning will fit ok. The van is a good bit shorter than our previous Bailey and looking at it the other day I realised that to measure 260 across the general area where the awning would fit the rail actually starts to dip slightly at each end . (Another one I didn't foresee)

Thank you to all for your previous comments
Best regards Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts