Motor mover Fitted to an Avondale

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello all.
I'm hoping someone has had an Avondale caravan circa 2000 with a motor mover fitted. Avondale Dart 380-2
My query relates to my wife earlier today ringing up a company to order a powertouch motor mover. ( I had earlier emailed powertouch regarding price matching but they advised me the actual company I was considering was one of their agents so the price is the lowest I will get)

Anyway before my wife could get around to placing an order the sales person said that due to the make and model of caravan they would like us to first send photographs of the area where the mover would fit showing the wheel and axle etc.

I have done this and now must wait until tomorrow for their decision.

Being impatient I'm hoping a forum member has had or has still got what we are wanting.

When my wife rang I expected perhaps a bit of a wait For fitting I never dreamed in my wildest moments that we may not be able to have a mover on this van.

Regards to all.
Brian

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pity you have not uploaded the pics here.
If your van is the same as some other Avondales, then waste pipes interfere with fitting in front of the axle and the spare wheel carrier is in the way of rear fitting.

One way round it is to remove the spare wheel carrier, patch the hole in the floor from underneath with a suitable sized piece of ply and carry the spare wheel somewhere else.

The other way is re routing all the waste pipes.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I don't have an pipes or obstructions at the front of the Axle Damian.
I'm going to read the instructions Parksy posted regarding photos.
And have a go at adding a couple to my post.
I've managed to get them into photo bucket. Just need to work out the next bit. Thank you meanwhile for your reply.
Brian

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a 1999 Avondale Dart 470/2 and had a power touch mover fitted about 5 years ago with no problems. It was fitted in front of the wheels with no bother. Hope you a get a reply giving you the OK.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your reply Biggles.morton
That sounds reassuring
I'm trying to remember how to post photos. I'm thinking that I have followed the instruction ok but suspect that my iPad just won't do it. I'll have to have a go with the laptop.
Regards Brian

image.jpg1_zpsortojdar.jpg

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian, if you do not have any obstructions in front of the axle, then fitting should be problem free, certainly as far as Powrtouch movers go.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Damion. Yes it is all perfectly clear. I'm struggling to get a photo posted.
I shall abandon this attempt and try my lap top. I need to master it for future!

Thanks again
Brian

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We had a 1998 Avondale Avocet 480/2 which already had a Powrtouch mover (a very early model) fitted when we bought it. It was in front of the wheel and worked OK. The spare wheel well was behind the axle. The kitchen was mid-ship and its pipes went to the rear, alongside the bathroom wastes. There was an underslung water tank somewhere near the axle, but that didn't interfere either.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
brian_c said:
Thank you Damion. Yes it is all perfectly clear. I'm struggling to get a photo posted.
I shall abandon this attempt and try my lap top. I need to master it for future!

Thanks again
Brian

Brian

Maybe this will help you by explaining how to put photos on the forum..

When you upload a photo to photobucket you then need to click on the link at the side of the word Direct, it will highlight and quickly say copied ..
Pcv%20picture%20help%202_zps3nfcboor.jpg

When you click on the tab to insert a photo you need to remove the htpp:// before you paste your link into that box

Pcv%20picture%20help%201_zpszxo4nfoc.jpg

The box will then look like this ...

Pcv%20picture%20help%203_zpswiiaqw6y.jpg

Then put a size into the box for the photo size and past the link into the box below.

Pcv%20picture%20help%204_zpsyhd6g4re.jpg

pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon_zpserdjluzy.gif
shout up if you need more instructions ;)

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
thank you Sproket for some reason my ipad wont select the link in photo bucket. ive printed your instructions and managed to post a couple of the photos. using my laptop although ive chosen ones that dont show how clear the area is also i should have turned them before posting. still im happy now i can manage to post ok.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Brian

Once you have done it a few times it becomes easier, if you get stuck just shout up ;)
If you go to your photobucket account and turn the photos then press save you can then re post the links into the old ones ;)

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
thanks to all. Damian although my photography is poor ill have another go tomorrow. the front of both axles/wheels is clear however there is a small plastic cowl which i believe is a fresh air/ventilation duct just showing on one of the pictures ive posted. i hope that wont be an issue re-fitting a mover.

best regards Brian

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
image.jpg1_zpsxyv2bydl.jpg

Well I've managed to post a photo from my IPad.

I've included a 6 inch ruler to show the spacing better.
This is the off side, the near side is perfectly clear.

Regards to all.
Brian

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well just an update regarding my efforts to get a mover for this Avondale 380-2

I heard back from the supplier this morning (or my wife did) he expressed doubts that our choice of Powertouch Classic would fit the van and give the proper clearance.
He asked us for further measurements but his thoughts were that the Powertouch Evolution would suit the van no problem.

So before doing anything else I put together a couple of photos and as many measurements I could think may be needed complimented with all the details of the caravan even tyre sizes, and e- mailed them to Power Touch rather than the agent.
Along with the request asking firstly if they thought a mover would fit ok to this van and secondly which one of their models would do the job. I did mention that the Classic was what I was hoping to use.

A short while ago they replied saying that yes a mover could be fitted but from their range it would have to be the Evolution Model.
Unfortunately no explanation why the classic model was unsuitable
So it looks like that's what I shall have to get. Talk about cracking a walnut with a sledge hammer springs to mind, the max weight of the van is only 1000kg.

My head is full of questions that had I been able to use a telephone I would have obviously asked, things like is the ground clearance the problem regarding the classic etc.
I think most forum members have probably read my previous post regarding my sudden hearing loss so I won't dwell on it but out of everything one of the most frustrating things is having to get information via emails rather than a quick chat on the telephone.
Perhaps it's the Yorkshire-ness in me but when I'm parting with the type of money that motor movers cost I like to have gone over all the ins and outs before hand. I'm set on Powertouch mainly because of their after sales service and reputation (obviously hoping that I don't need it). I'm sure other companies could probably fit a mover with suitable qualities but wouldn't come to my assistance during the warranty period at some way out in the countryside CL Site in the way Power touch did for me when I did have an issue with the previous van.

So I suppose we will have to place the order on Monday now.

I am consoling myself with the thought though that if the car breaks down whilst away the Evolution Mover will probably be able to get both the car and the van home.

Best wishes to all
Brian

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Sproket.
It was my first thought that perhaps they were trying to steer my wife towards the more expensive option but to be fair the guy did tell her to ask me to get further measurements.
Had I been able to have chatted with him I would have got his reasoning for his doubts etc.

So like I said in my post I thought I'd go to the fountain head as it were and ask the makers for an opinion giving all the details I could.

Again had I been able to chat with them if only for two minutes I'm sure they would have said what their reasons for only recommending the evolution were.
E-mails are so impersonal.

The clearance from the underside of the Chassie to the floor where I'm guessing the mover will be fitted is about 9" or just under 23 cm give or take a mm or 2.

When we got the caravan we factored in about £1000 for a mover three tyres and perhaps a new battery. Like every best laid plan it think that's out of the window now. Mind you I'm still waiting for the loan of a drop tester for the battery its apparently three years old and has charged up ok but I suspect it has been stood a few months un charged
The sg readings on all cells are about 1250 now come up from about 1210 when I first tested it but the drop test will confirm how it really is.
I would choose the manual engage mover anyway based really on one less item to give trouble!
Best regards Brian

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Brian, hope you get it sorted, I am with Damian and cannot see why the classic will not fit.
you have a standard chassis, standard suspension, and 13in wheels [remember the tyre profile question] without any obstructions in the way, I would be interested to hear of their reasons.
a local van dealer is a powertouch supplier, and he has a classic [std model] fitted to a box trailer for demonstrations and that has 10in wheels.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello Colin.
I must admit I was surprised when the supplier I approached ( or to be correct my wife approached) showed doubts. I commented in an earlier post that I expected any issues being a long wait for fitting not whether I could have one or not.

FairPlay to that dealer though because my enquiry direct to power touch seems to have justified his caution

As I said earlier had I been able to use the phone I would have asked a good deal of the questions that I suppose you and other members of the forum would probably have asked.
They did say in the email to me that after looking at the photographs and measurements that I sent them that it was possible to fit a mover but it would have to be the Evolution model.
Im just going to give them the go ahead on Monday. I get so frustrated since my hearing went with this type of thing,

I could have perhaps sorted everything in an hour this morning:- a surf for best prices, a call to a supplier, enquired about his reason for caution, a call to Power Touch Technical and discussed the suppliers caution then finally placed the order back with the supplier. Confident that the evolution was the only option having been explained to by the manufacturer why their other model was unsuitable.
This afternoon I was even considering not bothering and using storage but the ones close enough to us are all over £350 a year so 3 years of that would buy the mover with a bit of change plus two further years guarantee.
Yorkshire Caravans at Bawtry are not too far from us and I believe they are agents for Powertouch. I may just *** over tomorrow and try speaking to one of their engineering staff rather than Sales staff. The problem in my head now though is that the manufacturer has said the cheaper model isn't suitable so I'm reluctant to go against that really.

Cheers for now Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do not know which mover can be fitted to your caravan, but the dealer obviously has some concerns. He is actually doing exactly what the SoGA requires, ensuring the goods are fit for purpose, because he knows full well that if the mover did not do the job, the customer would be onto him for a remedy.

Do consider the possibility the dealer has probably got more experience of the capability of these movers, and perhaps he has had a problem with one and he is applying that experience to your possible purchase.

You can always ask him to explain why he wont fit the model you have identified.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi, just a thought has the Avondale got a Alko chassis or some other make that could be a reason,
personally if it has a Alko, then I would be even more interested in his comments seeing as how the classic can be fitted to other vans with the same chassis configuration.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Brian, I have, an Avondale avocet and 4 or 5 years ago I decided to have a mover fitted, on the advice from a caravan owning friend I contacted power touch and purchased direct from them a reconditioned power touch HD mover, I didn't really need the heavy duty model but thought I might as well as the price was right and if I decided to transfer it to a bigger van it would still be ok, I can't remember the details without digging out the paperwork but the price was around £350 less than normal price but the downside was 2 years less on the guarantee, once a price was agreed I got them to throw in FOC the manual cross actuator as well, it still included being fitted and was duly delivered to me then I was contacted by a mobile fitter and he came to me and installed it, all still working perfectly to this day, the fitter said he could see nothing about my reconditioned unit that wasn't as new, he also said that if power touch have a unit that at the point of installation has a fault it goes back to power touch and is then once the fault has been sorted sold as a recon unit even though it has never been used, now whether they still sell recon units and one is available is for you to find out but the money I saved I felt was well worth it.

Bryan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bryan,

SoGA does not involve the manufacturer, it rest on the contract of sale which is between the customer and seller. The seller's relationship with the his supplier or manufacturer has no part to play in a liability for faulty goods in a retail sale.

If the seller either sells faulty goods or misfits goods that subsequently fail, the law is very clear, that is sellers responsibility.

Just a further note for the OP Brian,

If you are unhappy with your prospective seller, you can of course look elsewhere, or even like Beehpee and contact the mover manufacturer directly.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello Bryan and Prof John. Thank you for your comments.
I do intend using the original supplier who expressed doubts about the suitability of the Classic. I didn't actually get back to him with all the further measurements etc that he had requested.
Instead I contacted the manufacturer giving as much detail as possible along with photographs. (More to confirm that the original dealer wasn't just trying to sell us the more expensive version)
The manufacturer came back saying that a mover could be fitted ok to the van but would from their products have to be the Evolution model.
They didn't explain their thinking behind that conclusion and like I have said earlier getting the same advice / information via a telephone conversation would have probably got me more information as to their decision but via Email which I have to use, messages can be all too brief.

I'm going to a caravan dealership a few miles away later today to try and get a word with someone of a technical background for a chat mainly for views why one will fit and the other wont.
My hearing is such that close to someone and looking at them I can get most of what is said so one to one contacts are ok. Unless of course the dreaded background music is playing.
Also I'm guessing amongst their display of caravans for sale there may be examples of both movers so I can see for myself the fitting arrangements and how much lower one hangs in relationship to the other.
Thank you again for your comments best regards
Brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts