motor mover in the wet

hiya everyone, I was wondering earlier today what are the effects of your tyre treads being wet when you use a motor mover. The reason I ask is that my caravan is down our drive and it,s quite steep, would the rollers slip on the tyre treads even tho' they are adjusted correctly and it's lashing down with rain. Just curious to know what others think.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the Powrtouch with the new (cast alloy) drive wheels. The only problem I have had is the caravan wheel slipping on wet grass; I have never had a problem with lack of drive - and I have a steep drive also.

MikeG

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the older grit type rollers there was a risk of slipping on wet tyres, but with the cast aluminium rollers there is more chance that any traction lost will be at the tyre to ground point, not roller to tyre.

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Very rarely do mover rollers slip, some times if your trying to go up slight kerbs & the like they might, or if the mover was fitted on new tyres & now theres only a couple of mill left, the gaps might be slack.

The new Trumas have much bigger (thicker) rollers & the chance of them slipping in any conditions is very slight as the footprint on the tyre is so big.

Keith,

Post edited to remove all advertising.

Please READ the forum etiquete before posting again.

Damian (moderator)

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

We have a Ryhno mover and have never had any problems with rollers slipping when tyres are wet. Biggest problem is Jocky wheel sinks in ground when its wet which stops the 'van dead, but this is not a problem with the mover.

Its great and best "extra" I ever purchased.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Similar to what others have posted. Our caravan is kept at the back of the house down a fairly steep drive. The Powrtouch takes it up and down no matter the weather without problem. Re the problem with the jockey wheel digging in, I changed to a pneumatic jockey wheel and found this helped with that problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the Powrtouch with alloy rollers and find that it will slip if trying to get onto a levelling block/wedge

In the dry this is accompanied by black crumbs of tyre dropping onto the wedge and in the wet some slippage

It is set correctly and moves the van up our steep drive OK

The car hill start brake operates so its quite steep at one point

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

That's quite interesting what you say.

My Powrtouch 2 wheel drive only on our Wyoming actually turns the whole wheel, yes wheel spin, on the wet if the terrain is too difficult, usually the jockey wheel digging in.

From new I have always found the cross actuation very stiff. Indeed I am amazed just how far into the tyre the Powrtouch ally wheel goes. My dealer has checked it twice and assures me it is ok.

Otherwise it moves the TA effortlessly.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
I have the Powrtouch with the new (cast alloy) drive rollers.

I have never had a problem with lack of drive - and I have a steep driveway also. There just the best. But are heavy.

TRENDING THREADS