Motor Movers Truma vs Powertouch

May 12, 2007
Visit site
Help! We are considering having motor movers fitted to our caravan. Our dealer is offering us Truma or Powertouch. Our van is a single axel. We tend to use non electic CL sites for our holidays, so should we opt for power engage or manual? Our drive has a slight incline, with plenty of room either side of the caravan.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Adele,

Can't comment on Truna Movers but we have a powertouch and I'm quite impressed with both the mover and their attitude to customers. They give a 5 year no quibble guarantee with their product,

Ron.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

We've got a powrtouch3 on our Bailey Provence (1430kg) and last year we had a problem with the remote (it wouldn't operate the mover)however the plug-in cable saved the day and when I phoned powrtouch, they posted out a replacement remote the same day and I sent the faulty one back when it arrived (I think they even supplied a postage paid label to send it back). No problems, excellent service.

It's one of the best things we've bought (apart from the caravan) as we've got to get the van up a kerb and into a slot 8'6" wide and it has to get very close to one side so that I can squeeze down the gap to engage the mover and put the wheel clamp on.

Ours has manual engagement from one side which takes a bit of a heave to get on - easy for me but not so easy for my wife so I'm toying with upgrading to electric engagement when we get a bit older and I can't get into the gap anymore.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Adele

For me it's Powrtouch.

Unless you are very weak , old or infirm, save your money and go for manual cross actuation. If money's no object indulge yourself on the electric actuation.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Doug,

I'm thinking of getting a mover fitted myself and I'm impressed by the pictures. Does it actually climb the kerb using the Powrtouch, or is the kerb lowered at some point not shown in the picture?

Shame about Fleetwood going belly-up. I've got a Meridien, had to cough up another

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Without our Powrtouch 3 mover we couldn't store our caravan at Rob's parents bungalow as we have a downhill slope with adverse camber and a tight gap to contend with to get it into it's space. With the mover it's a piece of cake and it comes in useful on site too. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi, we had a Truma SE fitted last year. It's brilliant, the control box is high quality as is the remote control unit. The actual mover is first class and very sleek compared to the other more 'industrial' looking items on the market. Operation is simple and the soft start is really smooth. It hauls our fully loaded Coachman of 1500kg up our 1 in 6 drive nicely. Much nicer looking kit than the Powertouch offerings.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi, we had a Truma SE fitted last year. It's brilliant, the control box is high quality as is the remote control unit. The actual mover is first class and very sleek compared to the other more 'industrial' looking items on the market. Operation is simple and the soft start is really smooth. It hauls our fully loaded Coachman of 1500kg up our 1 in 6 drive nicely. Much nicer looking kit than the Powertouch offerings.
l alo had the Truma, the S model fitted, only time will tell if it's as good as the Powertouch, l believe its been totally reengineered,must admit looks better than the powertouch, mind you some females look better than others but can't cook.

NigeH

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Adele

I agrea with all the positive comments about Powertouch,plus i have had cause to use there excellant after sales sevice. It is second to none go and get one fitted you wonr regret it!

Regards David

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

We too have a Powertouch, fitted to our Bailey Pageant S7 Provence. We opted for the power actuator, since I phoned them up and haggled a deal with them. Effectively, we didn't pay for the actuators.

The fitting service was great - they came to our storage site, and performed all the work on site. They use subcontractors, but the guy that came to us was very friendly / knowleagble / conscientious.

As for the movers themselves - wow! They are fantastic. We have to hitch the van onto the car on a fairly steep downward slope. This is a problem - trying to hold the van against the slope whilst manouvering the last inch or so. Not any more! The movers are so accurate, and start so 'softly' that you can literally move the van fractions of an inch forwards / backwards / clockwise / countre clockise. It will even turn 180 degrees in it's own length (ie, the near and offside wheels swap position exactly).

According to the guy that fitted it, it would move our van (1500KG MTPLM) up a 1:4 hill - I doubt our tow car would manage that! It climbs kerbs without any trouble.

As previously mentioned, they also come with a 5 year 'no quibble' warranty. When I was looking at which movers to go for, I posted a thread on here asking for advice. I had a number of responses praising their after care service.

HTH

Vince.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I cannot comment on the Truma but I had a Powrtouch fitted last Tuesday on my single axle van and I must admit am deeply impressed.

I am similar in Claire and Rob's problem in that my storage space is a real pig to get out of and was actually restricting the use of the van due to the dread of getting it out of storage. Last weekend it took over an hour to get out due to a combination of the awkward slope, the mossy spongy ground, my new longer estate car and a new longer van opposite to my space.

Had the mover fitted last week and used it for the first time this weekend. Absolutley brilliant. No more getting in and out of the car (or arguments with she who must be obeyed) ensuring the car and van are lined up. When I took the van back to the storage compound, from unhitching from the car to completing the lowering of the steadies took six minutes. Last time I took it back at the February half term it took thirty minutes and an awful lot of sweating and cursing.

After four years of struggling to get my van in and out I'm now wondering why I didn't have a mover fitted years ago.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I cannot comment on the Truma but I had a Powrtouch fitted last Tuesday on my single axle van and I must admit am deeply impressed.

I am similar in Claire and Rob's problem in that my storage space is a real pig to get out of and was actually restricting the use of the van due to the dread of getting it out of storage. Last weekend it took over an hour to get out due to a combination of the awkward slope, the mossy spongy ground, my new longer estate car and a new longer van opposite to my space.

Had the mover fitted last week and used it for the first time this weekend. Absolutley brilliant. No more getting in and out of the car (or arguments with she who must be obeyed) ensuring the car and van are lined up. When I took the van back to the storage compound, from unhitching from the car to completing the lowering of the steadies took six minutes. Last time I took it back at the February half term it took thirty minutes and an awful lot of sweating and cursing.

After four years of struggling to get my van in and out I'm now wondering why I didn't have a mover fitted years ago.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
We've got the Truma SE which we had swapped from our old van to the new one.

Never had any problems with it , soft start engages within a few seconds and so far its done everything we've asked of it. Our drive has a slope and I also have to turn the van 180degs so there's a lot of to and fro on the drive to get it where I need it.

I find the units look good compare to some alternatives.

One randon thing , last time we used the van when I got back I couldn't disengage the hitch (DONT ASK) and to try and free I thought I'd engage the mover and move the van a bit in case the over run was engaged.

Anyway to cut a long story short I was moving the van and at the same time the car as well. Which it did with all too much easy. My car? ...... a Discovery 3.

So my comment is that the Truma packs some grunt.

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
We've got the Truma SE which we had swapped from our old van to the new one.

Never had any problems with it , soft start engages within a few seconds and so far its done everything we've asked of it. Our drive has a slope and I also have to turn the van 180degs so there's a lot of to and fro on the drive to get it where I need it.

I find the units look good compare to some alternatives.

One randon thing , last time we used the van when I got back I couldn't disengage the hitch (DONT ASK) and to try and free I thought I'd engage the mover and move the van a bit in case the over run was engaged.

Anyway to cut a long story short I was moving the van and at the same time the car as well. Which it did with all too much easy. My car? ...... a Discovery 3.

So my comment is that the Truma packs some grunt.
I too am having a Powertouch fitted next week highly recommended by dealer.

Just a thought, are all controls on a different frequency or coded somehow ..... otherwise we could be moving someone elses van.

May 3, 2009
Visit site
We had a Truma remote engage type mover fitted to our van, as we have a very tight parking area. It works well and we were very pleased with it. While on holiday our remote stopped working. We phoned Truma and explained that we would have a real problem when we returned home. The chap we spoke to said "What do you want me to do about it"? That reply took our breath away. We told him that as the handset was only a few months old, we hoped he would send a replacement to the site we were staying on. After a long discussion he promised to do this. After phoning him many times to tell him it had not arrived we gave up. This meant we had to do a two hundred mile round trip to purchase one from a caravan dealer. I have now lost confidence in Truma and the handset. I have since brought a spare one just in case.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Cant understand why you went to Truma Frazer when they employ agents to fit them, CMI fitted mine, gave me the relevant Guarantee of which took out the extended one for

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Adele,

We had a Powrtouch mover fitted to our Swift Challenger, after I had a major spinal operation and could no longer help my husband push the caravan.

It is wonderful and we wish we had got one long before we did. It enables you to take the caravan to the car, instead of reversing the car to the caravan and putting the caravan on a pitch is a doddle.

It also comes into its own, getting it into a fairly tight slot at the place where we store the caravan.

The Powrtouch engineer came out and fitted it on our drive and wouldn't leave until we were 100% happy with operating it. An engineer even came out to a CL we were staying on, when a minor problem arose, after we phoned Powrtouch for advice.

Brilliant company, really helpful staff, great service and worth every penny.

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Adele,

I am from Truma.

For single axle vans we have 3 alternatives. Below is a brief overview of them.

'The Original Caravan Mover' - Manual Engage - for caravans upto 1600KG, cope with 1200KG on a 1:4 slope.

'Mover S' - Manual Engage - for caravans upto 1800KG.

'Mover SE' - Electronic Engage - for caravans upto 1800KG.

For a more detailed review of all 3 please visit www.trumauk.com. In brief I would say the mover you need is dependant on its use. The original mover is certainly our most cost effective mover and has been on the market 10years, tried and tested! The Mover SE is our luxury model and has been award winning in many independant tests throughout Europe when compared to Powertouch, Enduro, Reich and Simpark.

Motor movers are a very big and personal purchase. If you would like any further information on our movers or any of our other products, please email us on sales@trumauk.com, call 01283 586050 (lines open again Tuesday from 8.30am)or visit www.trumauk.com and we will be happy to help.

We offer a good service as with all our products (S3002 heaters, ultrastore etc) and our proud of the fact we manufacture ourselves and have 100% accountability over product.

Good luck with your search! Hope this has helped.

Regards,

Truma (UK) Limited

visit www.trumauk.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts