Motor movers

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Depends on your abilities both physically and for reversing. Many years ago we managed without one but they were not heard of at first and then beyond our budget.

But now we would not be without one. There is no way I could manage nor would I want to.

John

Jun 20, 2020
Visit site
Depends on your abilities both physically and for reversing. Many years ago we managed without one but they were not heard of at first and then beyond our budget.

But now we would not be without one. There is no way I could manage nor would I want to.

John
Yeah I know what you mean. When our van was empty it was a doddle to push and pull into position, but since we have accumulated everything that we think we need it is getting beyond our strength. Thanks.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
As has been said it depends on your circumstances, the van we bought last year is the first with a mover and now wouldn't be without it, saves me reversing over 80 yards down street to park on drive, now drive into street unhitch spin van round and straight onto drive

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I couldn't caravan with out a mover, just parking at home with the mover takes over 10 mins probably more.

It makes uncoupling from and too the car so much easier especially with the tight clearance I have with a Tiguan from the ball to bumper.

We down sized once the children stopped coming with us but still couldn't manage to push it up a dropped curb with out help from neighbours.

What you must do though is get the MTPLM upgraded to offset the extra weigh which can be around 35kg.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't be without mine now. Although the van sits on a level bit of my drive normally, the drive has a gentle slope as it nears the road, which is also a bit of a dog leg. Taking van out have to negotiate that slope, got harder as we got older, putting it away, I had use the hand brake or it would run away with us. With the mover I'm in complete control.
If I have room I always reverse onto my pitch

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy wizz
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you visit a site like this one you will find the recommended weights of caravan and other data for a variety of movers. I would expect most to suffice for the Ariva caravn but you can compare at leisure...

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We wouldn't be without ours-getting in to our storage site is v tight-never would consider reversing in and it takes a lot of hammer off the car too!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our caravans have always been rather larger of late. We did start out with a 10 ft very light model which we never had trouble manouvering though. It probably depends on your level of fitness, the Arrive is very light and provided you are reasonably fit and have no slopes you need to push it up, you should manage. without.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I knew the inventor of the original road wheel caravan mover (John Carver of Carver & Co) and I saw him during the development of the product. He always maintained the idea was to enable caravanners to be able to continue caravanning when they were less able to manually manoeuvre the caravan at home or on site. I'm sure he would have been delighted to read some of the comments here, even if they're not specifically about Carver products.

Reactions: JezzerB and DaveA1
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In the past 31 years i have manage without a motor mover i use to reverse my car and caravan on our drive and when we moved houses the caravan had to go into caravan storage i reverse it into the spot with no problems with my health issues in 2012 we stopped but in 2019 we brought the Abbey caravan, and to make it easy for me we put the motor mover on and i wish i had it on sooner .

Jun 20, 2020
Visit site
In the past 31 years i have manage without a motor mover i use to reverse my car and caravan on our drive and when we moved houses the caravan had to go into caravan storage i reverse it into the spot with no problems with my health issues in 2012 we stopped but in 2019 we brought the Abbey caravan, and to make it easy for me we put the motor mover on and i wish i had it on sooner .
It seems that there are quite a lot of people have movers fitted to their van. Can I ask another question. What make and type of mover do people prefer on their Ariva. Thank you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that the lightest possible as it would conserve payload. I had Reich wind on mechanical and it was far easier to apply that my present Powrtouch Classic which can take some oomph to apply even using an extended wrench. My experience with the Powrtouch Evolution automatic (caravan MTPLM 1000kg) wasn't good. There are so many types out there how long is the piece of string.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had the manual mover initially and then switched to the auto engage as pushing the lever over was a bit much for us. Now as we have a twin we have AWD motor mover however I always strive to park up not usingt eh motor mover and nor running across the grass etc. Only time I had a real issue was on a continental site where the roads are very narrow and it is extremely difficult to reverse onto a pitch with a twin axle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had three different makes over time and frankly the difference between them was not worth worrying about. Possibly if you have any health issues you should avoid hose that fix on using a long lever as they can be difficult.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the manual mover initially and then switched to the auto engage as pushing the lever over was a bit much for us. Now as we have a twin we have AWD motor mover however I always strive to park up not usingt eh motor mover and nor running across the grass etc. Only time I had a real issue was on a continental site where the roads are very narrow and it is extremely difficult to reverse onto a pitch with a twin axle.
Why not remove your mover and regain the payload it used up?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What a very strange thing to say?
If as you tell us you don't use your mover, you use your car to position your caravan, then the mover is surplus to your requirements and is thus dead weight.

Most caravanner's are looking for better payload provision, so the release of the 30 to 40kg a mover weighs would be welcomed by most.

It must be worth a Bob or two, I'm sure the funds could be put to better use.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If as you tell us you don't use your mover, you use your car to position your caravan, then the mover is surplus to your requirements and is thus dead weight.

Most caravanner's are looking for better payload provision, so the release of the 30 to 40kg a mover weighs would be welcomed by most.

It must be worth a Bob or two, I'm sure the funds could be put to better use.
At no time did I state that I never use my motor mover. What did you miss about trying to "strive to park up etc" does not mean that I can manage every time and certainly not on continental sites. Anyway it is up to the individual whether they want a motor mover or not and how they use it. Why are you always so confrontational with posts?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Power Movers are brilliant when you have a tight spot to tackle, or like me have a factory fitted wheel brake to line up....

When put my caravan on my drive, means I have swing it around and a very high chance of hitting the side of the house, the powermover enables me to stand back and watch the back end of the caravan as I moving it, something that is near on impossible if you manual pushing the caravan.

When it comes to lining up the wheel so that I can line up to fit the wheel brake, I can move the caravan forward/backward while watching the alinement at the wheel, not hazard a guess whether I've pushed the caravan enough one way or another, then go back and check

Same with hitching up, so much easier than trying to tug the caravan forward or push it back slightly etc etc.

We had to have one fitted when we brought our current caravan, the dealer offered us either a second hand one, or a new. The new one did come with a 5 year warranty that if any problems, the manufacture would come out to you, rather than you having to get the caravan to them... So we opted for the latter.

It is a worth while investment

Jun 20, 2020
Visit site
Power Movers are brilliant when you have a tight spot to tackle, or like me have a factory fitted wheel brake to line up....

When put my caravan on my drive, means I have swing it around and a very high chance of hitting the side of the house, the powermover enables me to stand back and watch the back end of the caravan as I moving it, something that is near on impossible if you manual pushing the caravan.

When it comes to lining up the wheel so that I can line up to fit the wheel brake, I can move the caravan forward/backward while watching the alinement at the wheel, not hazard a guess whether I've pushed the caravan enough one way or another, then go back and check

Same with hitching up, so much easier than trying to tug the caravan forward or push it back slightly etc etc.

We had to have one fitted when we brought our current caravan, the dealer offered us either a second hand one, or a new. The new one did come with a 5 year warranty that if any problems, the manufacture would come out to you, rather than you having to get the caravan to them... So we opted for the latter.

It is a worth while investment
Thank you all for your input. I've decided to fit a power touch auto mover and blow caution to the wind. Thanks

Reactions: DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts