Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Having trawled the net, I think I already know the answer and it's a disappointing one!

However, your experience and knowledge is worth far more to me. So in a nutshell, is there a satnav out there that does what it says on the tin for motorhomers?

I get the impression that sat nav's designed for 'Truckers' are better at guiding you along the straight and not so narrow than those (apparently) designed for motorhomers and caravaners??

Am looking for something to back up my maps and sixth sense...........

Thanks

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Good question Jonathan.
We got a Garmin at the NEC show which seems to do the job (so far). Can't remember the number but I'll have a look when I go out to the van.
It has provision to input the van's dimensions, and occasionally flashes up "motorhome accessibility not known" on minor roads I've chosen myself.
It comes preloaded with Caravan Club, ACSI and Motorhome Fun locations (not sure what they are as you have to pay to join, but the ones I've driven past so far seem to be car parks or pubs).

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Morning Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

You may have the 760 - but am sure you will tell me!

Garmin units seem most popular and probably for good reason. Always used them on my motorcycles when touring Europe and in the main, did what it said on the tin.

However, with the sat nav's labelled for 'caravan/motorhome' use, once dimensions of your vehicle have been inputed - seems they can and do direct you down roads that you wanted to avoid. There was a post somewhere that said they work better if you actually input slightly larger dimensions that that of your caravan/motorhome................

Not sure how true that is?

Kind Regards

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
We've had the Garmin Camper 760 for about a year and like it but nothing is perfect so I'm currently evaluating a TomTom Pro Truck 5150 and a Mio Combo 5207 against it.

The TomTom Pro Truck 5150 is no longer available new - I was given it by TomTom in exchange for a Trucker 5000 that I bought and found to be useless (long story). I wouldn't recommend any of the TomTom NAV4 range (see complaints on TomTom forum).

The Mio seems to be pretty good so far and can be had on eBay at good prices from time to time but I've only just started the evaluation so I would go for a Garmin at the moment (some Aldi stores still have the Camper 660 at £199.99).

As regards roads that you may want to avoid, it sometimes depends on the driver. Sat navs we have used have sent us down roads that we would prefer not to use but they are bus routes so really are perfectly usable. In some areas (Norfolk for example) it is sometimes difficult to avoid narrow roads.

Graham

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Graham,

Motorhome have ordered comes with its own built in sat nav - although cannot input your veh dimensions or weights etc. So may stick with that, some good maps and a little common sense - although imagine the 760 will have superior screen, graphics and features....................

Regards

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jonathan, sorry to be so long getting back to you - but we're in Norfolk just now, so connections are a bit tricky!
Yes, it Is the 760 we've got. Actually used it this weekend to find a particular Caravan Club CL (don't tell anyone, we're not members!).
It does have a bit of a habit of using minor roads as shortcuts, but always respects the vehicle dimensions I've given it. Personally, I prefer that to my previuos TomTom, which had a bit of an obsession with dual carriageways - it would take me on quite long detours just to be able to use a bit of motorway!
It boils down to the fact that they're just computers, each with their own programming peculiarities.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
TonyJones said:
It boils down to the fact that they're just computers, each with their own programming peculiarities.
Absolutely, Tony, like all computers they are only tools and like all tools must be used properly and wisely :)
The difference of programming peculiarities (plus an unexpected windfall) is the reason why I am comparing models from different manufacturers at the moment. Most of the time they use the same route (especially where motorways and dual carriageways are obvious choices) but diverge on occasion where more minor roads are concerned, prompting the navigator (me) to check which is best.

Graham

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Ukjon said:
Morning Graham,

So what is the best one you are testing, so far?

Thanks
If I were to go for any one of the three I have I would choose the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D (as I said previously if I had nothing I would go for the 660 if still available in Aldi). The TomTom Pro Truck 5150 is pretty good but (like the Camper model they used to do) it is no longer available unless one happens to find old stock.

Graham

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Canarycity said:
We have a Snooper and its been good, you just input your motor home size and away you go.
No good to me I'm afraid as Snooper don't allow customers to add their own POI sets - and when you have a set of over 2260 UK motorhome parking places like I have then it doesn't cut it :)

Graham

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I have and use a Garmin 765
All CC and C&CC POIs added
Let's my put in the weight and dimensions of my Motorhome.
Bought it through the Caravan Club and saved £50

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I have never found the need to add my own POI sets. The POIs that snooper provide together with Caravan club sites and others pre installed do me fine. Just remember when buying GPS Tom tom charge for map ugrades where Garmin and Snooper are free.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Canarycity said:
I have never found the need to add my own POI sets. The POIs that snooper provide together with Caravan club sites and others pre installed do me fine. Just remember when buying GPS Tom tom charge for map ugrades where Garmin and Snooper are free.
If the range of POI sets which the device manufacturer supplies is sufficient then fine, no need to look any further. Personally I would rather control it myself so that I can replace a set when the owning organisation (e.g. CC or C&CC) issues a new set rather than rely on the supplier monitoring updates and automatically issuing them (something I know that Snooper certainly did not do in the past).

As regards mapping, TomTom offer Lifetime mapping on many of their products (see lists on Halfords or Currys web sites for instance). Having said that, I wouldn't recommend purchase of any of the TomTom NAV4 (Go & Start) range without serious research, including study of all the complaints on the TomTom user forum.

Graham

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been using motorhome specific satnavs from Aguri and TomTom over the last year.

Both have at times, or tried to, take us down unsuitable routes bearing in mind the initial input of size and weight of vehicle. To be fair it's not the satnav unit itself that is always at fault, it's more the imported mapping system they use. They also won't know about narrow roads etc unless those places are officially limited and signed, so roads that have become narrowed by branches and/or vegetation wouldn't be avoided.

I'm trialling CoPilot's new motorhome specific satnav app at the moment so I'll be interested to see how that compares.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I notice that the article doesn't mention third party POIs at all. Important if, like me, one has a large set of self-created POIs (or even if, for example, one just wishes to make sure club POIs are up to date).

Graham

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Evening All,

How are we getting on with our satnav's? Garmin's 760 still top dog? I hear that is not easy to update the mapping?? Snooper Ventura S8100 any better?

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
No problem with mine. Updating takes time (but so it should for the whole of Western Europe!) but not difficult, as long as you put the software on the laptop.

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I have a built in Tom Tom but find it not very good with a larger motorhome, mainly use my Snooper S8000 which I am able to put my vehicle dimensions which does help me.

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Our motorhome came with factory fit Tom Tom. Could not identify couple post codes we entered on our last holiday (Scotland).

Hence my original thread as am thinking about another device that is also motorhome specific. As previously stated am interested in the 760 or 8100 at the mo. However the Caravan Club/Avtex/Garmin 660 is also on our radar.

Just need to get one sorted before next trip abroad in September.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts