Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Evening All,

Can anyone report back on the Aguri RV700 DVR?

Like the 660/760, Ventura 8100 etc is claimed to be motorhome specific. Aguri (who I understand are ex Snooper) also claim that as it is WiFi - updates and downloads are a lot easier and quicker as no need for pc or laptop? Also would suit me needs very well as has interpreted dash cam.

Thanks.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I looked at Aguri but rejected them as, just like Snooper, they don't allow customers to add/update their own POI sets. With a set of over 2260 UK parking locations (plus a requirement to be able to download/add an up to date LPG station set &c) that is no good to me.

One of the devices in my (unscientific) current sat nav comparison has an integrated camera (Mio Combo 5207 LM Truck). We can mount it OK because we use it as a secondary device and the driver doesn't have to be able to see it. It would be awkward to mount otherwise because putting it in a position where the camera can record effectively would mean it would obstruct the view of the road to an extent.

I much prefer a separate dash cam which can be placed well out of the way.

Graham

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Bought mine on friday from the Lincolnshire motorhome show.

Its absolutely faultless. Wayne an excellent demonstration of his to use it.

I'm actually writing this review from my sat nav.

All the campsites are easy to find. Beats my Snooper and Sniper sat nav hand down. My old navs are going in the bin.

I've loaded my sim card into the unit and a number of calls from it and its cristal clear.

Dual cameras are impressive too, I've just downloaded a dash camera from play stores and works brilliantly.

Definetly a 10 out of 10

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I bought this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LWXB3Z2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474836792&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=solrtronica

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Its a nice sat nav but very strange to use and the gps location jumps on screen. I sent mine back and bought this one on Friday
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LWXB3Z2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474836792&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=solrtronica

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi all

I've tried them all including the Garmin 760 which took me through the center of Nottingham when I had my artic truck length of 40ft total length.
I've just bought the Solrtronica Navigation multimedia unit. It does everything including WiFi and making a call. It has sim card option which is great. It saves on mobile WiFi and I now use a giffgaff sim card for really cheap web. Its 7" screen is brilliant. This one runs like a Tablet of the Android system and has cameras, Bluetooth and a whole lot more.

Check this out before you buy http://www.wefitleisure.co.uk/products/solrtronica-satellite-navigation-for-caravans-motorhomes

I've done 400mile with mine and its faultless.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
emma1977 said:
Hi all

I've tried them all including the Garmin 760 which took me through the center of Nottingham when I had my article truck length of 40ft total length. Not very impressed at all.

I've just bought the Solrtronica Navigation multimedia unit. It does everything including WiFi and making a call. It has sim card option which is great cause it saves on mobile WiFi and I now use a gifgaf sim card for really cheap web. Its 7" full HD screen is brilliant. This one runs like a Tablet of the Android system and has cameras, Bluetooth and a whole lot more.

Check this out before you buyhttp://www.wefitleisure.co.uk/products/solrtronica-satellite-navigation-for-caravans-motorhomes

I've done 400mile with mine and its faultless.
Hmm. The spec on the We fit leisure page reads a bit like the Chinese cheapies on eBay, but at a much higher price.
I would be suspicious about the "Overnight Parkings" (sic) as other such offerings with that spelling I've seen on the Internet have tended to be less than accurate.
Graham

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
lol...there all made in china, Taiwan, India etc. It does'nt mean to say they are cheap. The service I received and demonstration of the navigation was brilliant. Its there own unit. Im sure you can get something similar, but I don't trust ebay for £49.99 ive been ripped off before.

The overnight parking is an app from App Stores, I have them one on my Indian made Samsung Mobile Phone and it works a treat.
Mine comes licensed maps. full support and i contact the guys over the telephone or at any motorhome show and there happy to deal with me. Each to there own I have everything I need in one device.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I know they are all built overseas :) It was just that the spec on the We fit leisure page reads very much like the ones on the Chinese eBay listings (including those offered in UK listings) :)

I'm surprised that you have to purchase apps, though, as the We fit spec implies that they are already installed on the unit when purchased. My lack of trust in some of those apps echos yours of eBay I'm afraid as they are built on outdated hearsay. At least one lists several places near us, none of which allow overnight camping.

It's a pity I didn't know about the device last week. We were at the Lincoln show at the weekend and would have been interested to look at it (didn't notice any sat nav on the DLR stall, maybe because I wasn't looking). I'll keep a look out at the NEC show next month.

Graham

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi graham

I never had to add apps other than the my dash camera buddy which I downloaded myself.

I think if they were at the NEC with this unit they will do well. Its a good alternative to other brands and you can tell they've spent time researching it for input. But hey... Wayne is a fellow camper like ourselves.

Thanks graham

I'll keep posting if I have any issues.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
emma1977 said:
I never had to add apps other than the my dash camera buddy which I downloaded myself.
I was confused then. When you said "The overnight parking is an app from App Stores" it read it as meaning that it was a download from Play Store (being an Android device).

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
ah ok, I think i know what you meant. Your website seems pretty good and could quite easily save people a lot of time if looking for an overnight location. How long have you been travelling?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
emma1977 said:
ah ok, I think i know what you meant. Your website seems pretty good and could quite easily save people a lot of time if looking for an overnight location. How long have you been travelling?
We bought our first van in 2006 and I started the web site shortly afterwards.

Just to clarify, though, my web site gives details of daytime parking locations, not overnight camping. The only reliable list I know of overnight camping places in the UK (apart from licensed caravan sites and exempted sites (Nightstops/CLs/CSs)) is the one maintained by Andy Clarke at UK Motorhomes.

Sites/apps such as Campercontact and Park4night may well be accurate in mainland Europe but contain several inaccuracies in the UK. Those inaccuracies have been there for years in some cases.

One reason I don't licence my POI download set for provision by any sat nav supplier is that people who download it for their own use are then aware of the need to check for updates from time to time and to use the POIs in conjunction with the web site text.

May 1, 2015
Visit site
We had a Tom Tom sat nav which worked fine.......in the car here in the UK.
Where it didn't work fine was in Bavaria, in an almighty thunderstorm, in the dark, whilst towing a trailer with a Smart Car on board..... Oh, did I mention with an irate wife in the passenger seat too ?
Hence, the Tom Tom was confined to a cupboard and replaced with a Garmin 760 LTD which is terrific, even taking into consideration the addition of a Smart car and trailer.
As with the previous member, set the profile a little bigger than your actual unit and it's fine.

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm considering the Copilot Caravan app, for my smart phone, but am unsure if it is worth £50. I wonder if I would be better spending a bit more on a Garmin or similar. Has anyone tried the Copilot app?

PMM

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
we're thinking of getting the new Garmin caravan st nav camper 770 LMT-D.....we've tried a truck app and can see how advantageous having width and height and other restrictions would be.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If I were to go for any one of the three I have I would choose the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D (as I said previously if I had nothing I would go for the 660 if still available in Aldi). The TomTom Pro Truck 5150 is pretty good but (like the Camper model they used to do) it is no longer available unless one happens to find old stock.
Welcome to the forum, however the thread was started 6 years ago. :D

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Also sat nav has changed, its not always included with the vehicle, but it may be pre-loaded with Andriod Auto or Apple Car Play, you now use your phone to download the Apps, or any other type, I use Waze, pair it with your car using the vehicles dashboard screen, set your destinations while at home, using your "free" WiFi and off you go. With Waze you can load ten Waypoints, having used mine in the UK and in European countries very pleased with it, you can input your vehicle type and fuel , and there's a lot more, which Iam still learning. Yes its an old thread but may be still relevant to newer members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts