Motorhomes banned?

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer on this site but have been caravanning for many years and I have a very important question.
My brother & sister-in-law are holidaying in France at the moment and we have decided to go to a Caravan Club site to meet up with each other but my brother has been told by two people that the Caravan Club has banned all motorhomes from their sites.
I cannot, for the life of me, believe this statement so does anyone have any answers? I would be very grateful for a reply so I can go ahead and book the site.
Regards

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
I would seriously doubt it, the quote below is taken from the Caravan Club website today:-

"Membership of The Caravan Club currently stands at almost 375,000 households, representing the interests of 1 million caravanners, motor caravanners and trailer tent owners. Members enjoy access to the largest network of privately owned, quality sites in the UK and Ireland. And, while The Club is led by the Executive Committee, each and every member is entitled to have their say at the Annual Members' Meeting"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Given that Motorhomes make up a substantial proportion of visitors to Caravan Club sites that is most unlikely. One possible explanation is that if ground conditions are bad they might not be accepting motorhomes until conditions improve. Why not phone the site concerned for clarification? You might get a quicker answer than speculating here.

David

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
deeman said:
My brother & sister-in-law are holidaying in France at the moment and we have decided to go to a Caravan Club site to meet up with each other but my brother has been told by two people that the Caravan Club has banned all motorhomes from their sites.

I might be misreading this but I'm assuming you mean meet up in France. I didn't realise that the CC had any sites in France
smiley-undecided.gif

Besides this the CC, although a club, is run like a business and it would be economic madness to ban motorhomes.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I should have been a little clearer. When they get back in March they stay near their daughter's in West Sussex and then move up north nearer to us. We come from Chester so we tend to meet them halfway and the site we are going to is the Uttoxeter Racecourse site. in April. They own a rather large motorhome and as I said, two parties they had met in France, had told them that the Caravan Club were not allowing motorhomes on their sites. I said that this was ridiculous at the time but I wanted to re-assure myself and ask the professionals.
I've tried to get hold of the Caravan Club itself but I was passed from pillar to post so I hung up in the end.
Thanks for the info anyway, you have put my mind at ease.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Whether this is particular to Uttoxeter I don't know regarding large motor homes but they have no hardstandings with a max. outfit length of 11.6 metres. Maybe this has a bearing on it. I know that there are restrictions on some sites for the larger type of motorhome either due to access or weight restrictions. Low Manesty site in Cumbria is one example and Brora, Highlands is another.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
deeman said:
I should have been a little clearer. When they get back in March they stay near their daughter's in West Sussex and then move up north nearer to us. We come from Chester so we tend to meet them halfway and the site we are going to is the Uttoxeter Racecourse site. in April. They own a rather large motorhome and as I said, two parties they had met in France, had told them that the Caravan Club were not allowing motorhomes on their sites. I said that this was ridiculous at the time but I wanted to re-assure myself and ask the professionals.
I've tried to get hold of the Caravan Club itself but I was passed from pillar to post so I hung up in the end.
Thanks for the info anyway, you have put my mind at ease.

We went to Uttoxeter Racecourse site last years, some pictures here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/uttoxeter_racecourse_caravan_clu.htm
There were certainly motorhomes onsite whilst we were there. You mention that they have a large motorhome, some sites do have a length restriction but I doubt that would have caused that comment to be made. I would try e-mail from the the main Club website. I have always found the respond pretty quickly.

David

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
As has been stated Uttoxeter is an all grass site. The Caravan Club recommend that dureing wet weather periods motor home owners ring the site before arrival to check ground conditions. The ground can get very soft in wet weather.I am not sure when the member receives this advice, possibly at time of booking or on confirmation sheet.
Perhaps someone has been advised not to arrive in the past during very wet weather and this has been taken as the site does not accept motor homes.

HAMER

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts