Motorway 60mph restrictions to be scrapped

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Snooper knows the mph for any road so as I leave it on "caravan" mode which is 60 mph .Plus I still leave on same mode when not towing.
Is your Snooper 100 per cent in showing the correct speed limit? My Garmin and the cars Tomtom based systems aren’t always correct. And as speed limits are generally reduced the error isn’t in my favour, so attention is required

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When towing the CC is set at about 58mph. If lower and using CC I find that the car is changing gear more often. However not using CC when towing is probably the most economical way to travel.
How many gears does the Jeep ?
The Touareg has 8. On a number of A roads and some M ways I have seen it drop to 7 sometimes 6. Speed is maintained. Additionally imo the German electronics are avoiding labouring the engine in too high a gear. That in itself will burn more fuel than a lesser stressed higher rpm condition.
I also find the use of CC far more relaxing than constantly adjusting my ankle.

One last point coasting is not illegal as far as I know. The VW has the ability to switch on coasting mode. Very much like the old Saab two strokes🤪

Reactions: RogerL
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
One last point coasting is not illegal as far as I know.
Technically I believe that you're correct in that it is not illegal, but the question arrises as to whether you are in full control of the vehicle when doing it. If you're not then it could be deemed to be illegal (I have no idea whether this has been tested in court).

In a modern vehicle it's a pointless exercise anyway as it could use more fuel than keeping the drive train engaged. Lift off the accelerator and the engine management shuts off fuel supply completely. Dip the clutch or shift to neutral and the engine management supply's fuel to keep the engine ticking over.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Technically I believe that you're correct in that it is not illegal, but the question arrises as to whether you are in full control of the vehicle when doing it. If you're not then it could be deemed to be illegal (I have no idea whether this has been tested in court).

In a modern vehicle it's a pointless exercise anyway as it could use more fuel than keeping the drive train engaged. Lift off the accelerator and the engine management shuts off fuel supply completely. Dip the clutch or shift to neutral and the engine management supply's fuel to keep the engine ticking over.
I’ve only used the coasting mode once, just to try it out.
Didn’t like it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Moden engines don't necessarily shut the fuel off completely when you lift off as they need to keep the catalytic converter up to temperature to meet modern emission regulations - unlike early fuel injected engines which did cut the fuel supply on lift off.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Touareg has 8. On a number of A roads and some M ways I have seen it drop to 7 sometimes 6. Speed is maintained. Additionally imo the German electronics are avoiding labouring the engine in too high a gear. That in itself will burn more fuel than a lesser stressed higher rpm condition.

One last point coasting is not illegal as far as I know. The VW has the ability to switch on coasting mode. Very much like the old Saab two strokes🤪
I think the Jeep has the same gearbox? The indicator only shows it to be in D so I have no idea which gear is selected. The noise from the engine and revs increasing is the give away that it has changed gear.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the Jeep has the same gearbox? The indicator only shows it to be in D so I have no idea which gear is selected. The noise from the engine and revs increasing is the give away that it has changed gear.
Whilst driving in automatic,if you move your transmission select lever into manual , your "D" symbol should change to show which gear your car is using.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is possible Jeep might buy the same gear box as the Touareg, but the automation will almost certainly be reprogrammed to suit the car makers unique specifications, so it may not shift at the same RPM or torques loads.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whilst driving in automatic,if you move your transmission select lever into manual , your "D" symbol should change to show which gear your car is using.
Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of being able to move lever in to manual mode as use it occasionally. I thought that perhaps when in auto you could see which gear had been selected.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of being able to move lever in to manual mode as use it occasionally. I thought that perhaps when in auto you could see which gear had been selected.
The VW gives a constant read out D1-D8 or S1-8 depending on mode selected or Manual 1-8 including the paddles.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site

As mine has DSG box I set it 60 mph, sit back and let it get on with it. For instance juntion 10 on M25 to Dartford toll I nearly get all the way without braking, just sometimes accelerate around slower vehicles. Mind you in the reverse way its braking constantly

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As mine has DSG box I set it 60 mph, sit back and let it get on with it. For instance juntion 10 on M25 to Dartford toll I nearly get all the way without braking, just sometimes accelerate around slower vehicles. Mind you in the reverse way its braking constantly
That's because your rushing to get home. 🤔

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
The 60mph speed restrictions on the M1 and M6 will be removed after National Highways admitted that air pollutionwould “ultimately be solved at the tailpipe”
This relates to “experiments “ around Rotherham, West Midlands and Manchester ,
Motorways.
The Jury is out and no one really knows did it reduce NO2 and other pollutants.
Most of my town is 20 mph.. According to the cars on board computer my mpg at 20 is worse than 60 or 70. The engine is in lower gear so more fuel being burnt?
I wonder how much this experiment cost?
Going back to the OP, I wonder how the air quality has been affected in Wales since the introduction of the 20 mph speed limit in many places. My father lives in North Wales, driving at 20 mph in my KIA with its 8-speed gearbox is easy. However, he has a manual car and I have visited him in a manual courtesy car too. Both have 1300 engines which struggle at 20 mph and I found I was having risk labouring the car in third gear or revving it in second gear, especially up the slightest of inclines. This can't be good for air quality.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably gone up. Most vehicles are not geared to run at 20 mph efficiently, travelling at that speed uses more fuel and therefore causes more pollution. Quite simply using the cars consumption as indicated it clearly shows more being used. I know many people do not trust the readout although ours seems accurate, but even if it reads high or low it will still show if more fuel is being used.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts