Motorway Rip Off

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi,

while not wanting to be too unpopular I must say that threads like this one do make me smile a bit when posters complain about the fuel prices of today compared with years ago (before brown ect) without looking at the bigger picture and taking things out of context, the truth is fuel and the cost of motoring is no dearer in real terms than it was years ago.

for instance there was a big "whooare" when fuel went to

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget as Pat says.... The service area operating companies have high overheads imposed by the Highways Agency and also have to maintain rest and toilet facilities free of charge as part of the agreement.

Many people, including me, often stop and use the facilities without spending anything

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, I quite agree, but way back then,(and I can remember when it was 3/10, about 20p a gallon, and I was earning 1/6d an hour)most of the cost was for the fuel you bought. Now something like 85% is in tax of one form or another. That is what we gripe about.

G

I agree on the tax remarks. Where else do you pay tax on VAT? The oil company makes somewhere about 15p per litre profit so you can see where the rest goes.

As for the relativity of prices, well, yes some things are cheaper, but I bought my Ford Capri in 1971 for

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
the only thing that i buy on the services,is a newspaper because its the only item on the services that has the price on it.......its a load of bull them saying that they charge more because they have to cover there costs keeping open 24hrs.....have you seen some services at night?.......most of it is shut! and the services on the m61 only have the fuel station open at night and even thats only for fuel..........you cant go into the shop

hgv dave

May 21, 2007
Visit site
As I have said previously, I understand why Motorway services charge what they do. I have been in the transport industry for 35 years going from 1 end of the country to the other.( no longer a hgv driver, still in the industry and still travel up and down the country). However I avoid them as often as I can, but occasionally I do use them knowing what I will pay.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I would be interested to know if anyone has seen fuel at a motorway services, that is actually cheaper than other outlets? I somehow doubt that is a possibility?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts