Motorway services

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I've come across any yet that serve the caravanner very well. Combine that with disabled caravanner and they're even more hopeless.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cannot see why Stafford Southbound rates so badly. The only problem for caravans is that the HGV area is at the start of your entry and if the caravan/motorhome area is full then you have nowhere to go. But I don't think that the study really rated that aspect anyway. The caravan/MH area is good providing WVM and lazy dog walkers can be kept out of it, but thats the same for any Motorway area. in UK or abroad.
I have no qualms about stopping in the HGV parking anyway, providing we have our nose clamps!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
We generally have to drive straight through because the caravan parking areas are full.

Are you talking Stafford South or service areas in general? We often park up in the HGV areas as there's always space available. We don't ever leave the caravan unattended and so eat snacks either in caravan or car.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
We recently stopped off at Gloucester services Northbound and while the services themselves were very impressive - fabulous farm shop to purchase provisions on route, food outlets selling much better quality/healthier options than the usual fast food chains and a fantastic dog walking area - it was disappointing that the caravan parking area was a long walk from the main building.
We don't like to leave our caravan unattended or at the very least like to keep it within sight so it meant a much longer stop than we would have liked so we could both use the facilities for a bio-break and refreshments while one stayed with the van.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
There is a few times we have pulled in and have gone to park in a space which I thought was empty to find 2 cars parked in the caravan space , really boils my blood :angry: most times I will park with HGVs plenty of room and I'm not bothered , there is a few service stations that do accommodate well for the caravans ( can't remember the names but we usually go to the same ones when travelling South )and have ample spaces put some people just take the mick and are too lazy to walk ! But like lynn says ,one of us will always stay with the car and van and one will take the kids to the toilets then vice versa . There has been on a few occasions where we have drove in and then drove straight back out as there has been no where to park at some places.

Craig

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Lynnybobs said:
We recently stopped off at Gloucester services Northbound and while the services themselves were very impressive - fabulous farm shop to purchase provisions on route, food outlets selling much better quality/healthier options than the usual fast food chains and a fantastic dog walking area - it was disappointing that the caravan parking area was a long walk from the main building.
We don't like to leave our caravan unattended or at the very least like to keep it within sight so it meant a much longer stop than we would have liked so we could both use the facilities for a bio-break and refreshments while one stayed with the van.

At Gloucester services you don't need to worry about caravan security as the dedicated areas are camera monitored, are very active so there will always be someone there, and are clearly visible from other parkings areas.

For my money Gloucester N and S and Tebay (operated by the same family company) are IMO by far the best motorway services in the UK.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Woodentop - I do wonder whether its necessary to keep such a close eye but you hear the stories where caravans have been stolen at service areas !
I would still definitely use the Gloucester services again as they were so good especially the dog walk area.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most caravan insurance policies require you fit all the security devices when the caravan is left unattended. This also applies at motorway service stations. Read your small print. Thieves have a field day at these sites. No amount of CCTV will get your property back.

I fully agree with Woodentop. Tegan services Westmoreland is our favourite. The full Scottish breakfast sets the scene on your way to the Highlands

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Can't think of the name of the services that we use last time but it was on our way to Hull southbound on the A1 i thinks, it's a 2 level services with the caravan bays right next to the main entrance , a small play area for the kids wish you can sit in a car and see and I'm sure there is a river or a pond behind the services , and the heavy goods vehicle bit just ajacent to where the caravans Park easy access in Easy Access out . straight off and straight back onto the motorway.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Of course, although it is not really a motorway services, there's always the Green Welly Stop, near where the A82 and A85 intersect in Perthshire, which usually has a good amount of space for caravans (and dedicated caravan parking), plus great food last time I visited.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jaydug said:
The best services I've ever come across is Tebay on the M6. They don't even get a mention in the report. Maybe because it's a family owned one off.

Agree that they are very good services. I think I read that the new ones near Gloucester are owned by them too. If so that accounts for their good rating. Also explains why there was so much “ anti” against services being approved for Gloucester, probably orchestrated by the service owners of Strensham and Michael Wood.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Most caravan insurance policies require you fit all the security devices when the caravan is left unattended. This also applies at motorway service stations. Read your small print. Thieves have a field day at these sites. No amount of CCTV will get your property back.

Ours requires a hitch lock only when left unattended but attached to the car, but for the few seconds it takes the wheel clamp goes on too.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Never been to Tebay although if it's as good as Gloucester it would get a joint top vote.

Michael Wood is absolutely awful; it was bad before they re-jigged the car park a few years back but I actively avoid it now, making an earlier break at Gloucester or carry on to Gordano if we're on the M5.

The most annoying part of any major service station is the ignorance of the users/abusers of the caravan parking. We stopped at Lancaster on the M6 en-route to the lakes and found the caravan parking full of cars yet the carpark was virtually empty.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Andy-H said:
The most annoying part of any major service station is the ignorance of the users/abusers of the caravan parking. .
IMO there's none worse than Maidstone Services for that It's half way between home and the Port of Dover for me. There's ten or so dedicated parking bays clearly marked "Caravans only" but they are usually full of white vans or HGVs.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree that Tebay South is by far the best services. Good parking for caravans, the best food if you are looking for this and one of the best farmers shops in the country there as well. I cannot remember using any of the others mentioned except Corley which was better than most but how Tebay was missed beats me as no other I know of even comes near. Tebay North is good except for the parking which is limited and caravans have to share with the lorries and cars can block their spaces so it might miss out.
These services though are run by the local farmers and show what can be achieved although they are still not cheap. They did open in Gloucester so I suspect the ones mentioned are theirs.

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Lynnybobs said:
Thanks Woodentop - I do wonder whether its necessary to keep such a close eye but you hear the stories where caravans have been stolen at service areas !
I would still definitely use the Gloucester services again as they were so good especially the dog walk area.

With regards to security may I suggest you check your insurance small print? Ours does not cover us if it is left hitched up & left unattended en route unless we have the wheel clamp on and locked-I would think this may be standard clause on policies.
As for services-Not found a good one yet where there is sufficient room & facilities for caravans and all want £20-£30 if you want to break a journey with a sleep! For what? Needless to say we don't stop for long if at all!
Mike

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are quite a few services now with dedicated caravan parking which helps but you do get vans using them and on some HGV's which does not help. It is usually the newer ones that have the dedicated spaces.

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Use Wetherby Services on A1 when heading south / returning north.

Easy to access, within a short walk to services themselves = although prices are still as high as most other service areas !!!!!

During busy periods there is a Parking Marshall, for want of a better word, to control non-caravan / motorhome traffic entering the designated bays, of which I think there are at least a dozen , all of which can accommodate even long outfits e.g. 4x4 with twin axle caravan.

Also used Gloucester, both north & south, and was very impressed.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
yorkykev said:
Wetherby Services on A1
During busy periods there is a Parking Marshall, .
Yes - I saw him in action when I was there during the summer. He makes sure only coaches park in the coach area and only caravans and mvans use the designated lanes. As the services serve both direction of the motorway it gets particularly busy - especially at lunchtimes.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Lynnybobs regarding Gloucester North. It's good that it's got a caravan parking area but it's about as far from the main building as it's possible to be. We didn't leave someone sat with the caravan - and got away with it - but I spent most of my time in the services worrying about it.

Tebay southbound (slightly better laid out than north) is my own personal favourite (owned by the same people as Gloucester but established for longer) and I too am surprised that it didn't get a mention. Beaconsfield services on the M40 is also good, with a much wider choice of places to eat and drink than usual (including a Wetherspoons) and the caravan parking area is part of the car park so doesn't get used by coaches or HGVs.

Also, whilst not strictly motorway services, the Eurogarage services on the A40 near Monmouth are surprisingly good. No dedicated caravan parking area but we used an HGV bay and nobody batted an eyelid.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Right ! after going over my map the way we went to Hull I found it , Wetherby (moto)services A1M southbound great services caravan and car layout right beside the main entrance and a massive lorry park for any overspill . That is the one that we normally stop at and you always get a space . :cheer:

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Right ! after going over my map the way we went to Hull I found it , Wetherby (moto)services A1M southbound great services caravan and car layout right beside the main entrance and a massive lorry park for any overspill . That is the one that we normally stop at and you always get a space . :cheer:

Didn't bother to look in and see us then!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts