Motorways around Calais

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
We are intending to travel from Zeebrugge to Normandy for the first time shortly. I had planned to use the A16 from Belgium to bypass Calais as my route. Can anyone tell me if the motorway around Calais is affected by the troubles in that area. We do not intend to leave the motorway for shopping etc. Thanks for any advice.

Lawrence

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I rang Kent police stn the other day and was told everything had cleared but could block up any time , we travel down that way next week so I'll be ringing them back to see what is & what's not blocked , o1622 69o 69o .

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Paris main road around city, Periphique, is always busy, congested and pain to navigate in larger vehicles. If you take care in looking everywhere, it is navigable, but strain on sanity.
Depending on where you go after Paris, other routes north and south may be better bet.
I hesitate to think Paris will be affected by Calais events currently.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lawrence,
I was in the Calais area at the end of June around the time of the first 24 hour strike. On the south bound side of the A16 HGVS were stacked up on the inside lane only, the middle and outer lanes were clear and traffic was flowing freely just as long as you didn't want to exit for the tunnel or port. Watching the sky news coverage the French motorways don't seem to be as badly clogged up as those in Kent.
Hopefully someone else will be along with more up to date info than mine.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If travelling from Dunkerque look at your map and make your way across to St Omer, then down towards Amiens. You will then miss everything and save (a little) in autoroute charges to boot.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Robtel said:
Hi Lawrence,
I was in the Calais area at the end of June around the time of the first 24 hour strike. On the south bound side of the A16 HGVS were stacked up on the inside lane only, the middle and outer lanes were clear and traffic was flowing freely just as long as you didn't want to exit for the tunnel or port. Watching the sky news coverage the French motorways don't seem to be as badly clogged up as those in Kent.
Hopefully someone else will be along with more up to date info than mine.

We travelled from Zeebrugge to Normandy last Friday and, as above, the HGV's were stacked up but the autoroute was flowing freely. We saw where the autoroute had been repaired after the burning tyres episode!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts