Mover & Battery Question

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Need a new battery, and thinking of coming down from a 120Ah to 100Ah saves a few Kilo on weight. Anyone move a TA with a Truma TE mover with one of the smaller batteries.

ps we don't use CLs so don't need big battery for lights TV etc.

thanks

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gumbo,

I move my twin axle Senator Wyoming, fitted with powrtouch 4 wheel drive mover, with a 100Ah battery. Never had any problems yet. My understanding is that whether it is an 85Ah or 120Ah battery it delivers the same power but the larger battery just delivers it for longer. As we normally use electric hook up the battery is charged between usage.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gumbo,

It is not the Ah size of the battery that is important for a mover, it is the batteries ability to supply the maximum current the mover needs to operate.

The peak current a mover draws is when the motors are starting. This is a pulse and lasts for no more than a second. Provided the battery will meet this demand then an 80Ah unit should be more than adequate.

Incidentally the total power a mover uses is not very much. for example when you reach your destination how long is you mover actually moving the caravan? probably no more than about 3min in total During that time it may be using and average of 20A, so that is 3 min in the hour or 0.05 Hours at 20A = 20 x 0.05 = 1Ah! That is the same a 1 flurescent lamp running for about an hour.

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gumbo

When we picked up our new van last year the dealer told us the 80A would be powerful enough to drive the 4 rollers on a t/a.

Hope this helps .

Tom .

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your help. I have been out to the van and got the Truma book.

Batteries

We recommend the use of so called drive and lighting batteries.

For Mover Operations we recommend batteries with a capacity of approx 60Ah or more.

I purchased a 100Ah battery just to give it that little extra time. So coming down from a 120Ah to 100Ah saves 10kg in weight at the front of the van!!!

Thanks again for your time

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts