Moving to Norfolk - Good Idea?

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi, My husband and I are considering moving to Norfolk. I was born in Peterborough, but have spent the last 30 years living in the west of Scotland however,I have had enough of the rain and cold and have finally persuaded my husband to move south. We like Norfolk but are worried about flooding, and not being able to insure our home and my husbands business premises because of the risk of flooding. Is it really that bad? Also what is it like to live in an area which is inundated with tourists for months? Any comments and information will be most welcome, thankyou, Eileen.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Eileen,

It depends on where you are considering moving to in Norfolk, after all it's a fairly big county. The main touristy areas will be around the coasts, when you move into the villages and towns there are no more tourists than anywhere else. As far as flooding is concerned, again it depends on where you are considering going. Unfortunately this year a few coastal areas have been flooded, but this is a rarity, and wouldn't consider there to be any more risk than any other part of the country. I am Norfolk born and bred, and when having visited other areas I am pleased to get back to the slower pace of life, clean fresh air and no motorways.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Eileen

I would endorse Wendys comments although I live in Suffolk I do like to have a run through what I call Mid Norfolk, ie Swaffham, Dereham,Fakenham , Holt.I know this as high Norfolk, and if that floods heaven help us! one word of caution and I know I will be called all sorts of names but do keep clear of Thetford. also there are large parts of Suffolk with the same qualilties as Norfolk. As for the cold and wet we get that here as well but not to the same degree in Suffolk but only when Norfolk Mike leaves the door open.

David from Suffolk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts