Mr. Shifta

Nov 15, 2005
Visit site
I have an Elddis Odyssey which grosses at about 92% of the kerbweight of my towcar.

It's not a problem as I understand the dynamics of keeping the tow car weight up and the caravan down.

However, because it's a bit heavier than my previous Caravan, it takes a bit of effort to pull it onto my drive (I have to pull it on and push it off)

I never have problems manouvering on site using the car, so don't need a fixed type. And because of the 925, i don't want to add weight to the caravan.

So i need one just at home and was considering the Mr shifta which has a battery of it's own, so it's reasonably heavy with the nosewheel weight added to give enough traction to get the van across the gutter of the road and up the slight slope of my drive.

Having got that lot out of the way - are they any good from a durability & ease of use point of view?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tom,

As soon as anyone mentions a slope, and an 'A' frame mounted mover, my concerns are raised.

As you seem to apprciate that you need sufficecnt downforce on the mover, I hope you will also appreciate that anything that allows the mover to loose grip (Increased slope, rain, wet leaves or even ice, and of course gravel or loose stones) then the weight of the caravan will take over and push the mover.

Ask you self if you could stop the caravan by hand (without the brake)? If you are unsure or the answwer is no, then the 'A' frame devices are also likely to have trouble controlling the van. just make sure you are really satisfied that the slope will not cause a problem.

Some of the 'A' farame mover manufactures offer a try before you buy, I really suggest you take them up on it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I had a Mk1 Mr Shifta for years[10 or 11] and it was a well made and totally reliable bit of kit.

It moved my 1000kg , 75kg nose wt Castleton up a 1:14 concreted drive and over the camber of a tarmac lane, with no problems, wet or dry. It was very good for that job.

On changing to a 1650kg, 90kg nose wt Hymer over the same route it then faced the issues raised by John L. Acceptable in the dry but needing a bit of assistance, however it lost adhesion in the wet. This was most evident in trying to stop the van going down hill whilst the Mr Shifta's wheels were on the tarmac.The van could take charge and just push the Shifta along.

If your gutter presents any real problem for two adults to move your van over then the Shifta will also struggle.

Of the nosewheel/hitch located units I still think its the best available simply because it benefits from the added mass of the battery, thus has the highest down force and consequent tractive grip.

As people move in droves to the caravan wheel drives the secondhand market is flooded with Shiftas for sale. You therefore should not have any difficulty in getting one of those earnest sellers to let you try it first at home. I fully agree with John L that this is a must. Throw a bucket of water down before finally signing the cheque. If it suits your needs it will be a good buy.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tom

Can I sugggest that you have a demonstration, on your own driveway, before going ahead with a Mr Shifter?

We did just this - and nearly lost our caravan!!! The sales person arrived. Duly fixed the Mr Fixer and took our caravan down a bending slope. Nothing very adventurous in this I can hear you say. However, when he tried to stop the movement it proved impossible. Not only did he get the fright of his (and our) life he went away with a completely stripped wheel.

What have you got against a fixed motor mover? Apart from the added weight. Cut down on the weight of your van by not taking unnecessary equipment. I know which product I would choose.

Good luck.

Ann

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts