MTPLM...Help

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If the combination is within the maximum gross train weight of the vehicle then there should not be a problem? I doubt if there is legislation stating exceeding the towing weight of the vehicle is an offence. The towing weight is set by the manufacturer and I think the offence relates to exceeding the train weight.
But even if it’s not an offence to exceed the towload limit it is an offence to exceed the towing vehicle’s GVW and the trailer’s MTPLM as well as the Gross Train Weight because all 3 are plated limits.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... I doubt if there is legislation stating exceeding the towing weight of the vehicle is an offence. The towing weight is set by the manufacturer and I think the offence relates to exceeding the train weight.
Regardless of whether there is a specific offence of exceeding a manufactures towed weight limit, there is legislation about having an unsafe vehicle, and under such an offence, exceeding any manufacturer's specification for a vehicle could be used as evidence of an unsafe situation. Note you can be unsafe without necessarily being overweight or overloaded.

Basically it's never good advice to suggest exceeding any specification or defined limits.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Chances are that if you exceed the noseweight by a lot you would also be exceeding the permitted maximum rear axle load and that is also plated, so that would be an offence.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The OP was:
Please can I get a straight answer to this question as a newbie (hopefully) caravaner my brain is fried. Can I tow a caravan that has an MTPLM over my towing weight limit legally if I only load it so it is under my towing limit. (The caravan is only 80% of my kerbweight at it's MTPLM.)
For those wishing to continue to discuss peripheral points, please start a new topic because this one will be locked if it continues.
The OP asked for a straight answer to avoid further confusion, and the answer was kindly given early on.
Forum discussions can and do meander, but we don't want to drive yet another forum member away because of a long rambling discussion that isn't relevant to the question that was asked.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I really don't want to confuse EleanorW,
But for my own thoughts are if a cars towing limit for a braked trailer is, ie 1200kg. How can you state that you can load the trailer to 1300 kg because the tow bar is carrying the 100 kg nose weight.
If stopped by the police or whoever does the weight checks, and they disconnect the trailer and find it 100kg over it MTPLM, surley you have overloaded it.
I agree. The weight may be partly on the tow ball but the car is still towing that weight.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are checked by the authorities they will weigh the caravan un hitched, so you need to be below the towing limit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
How often do we have to go through this? If they weigh the caravan unhitched then they can only compare that weight with the MTPLM, not with the towing limit. The caravan would need to be hitched to check whether the towing limit is exceeded or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts