Multi Meter

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
Could anyone give me a quick run-down on how to use a Multi Meter. All I want to use it for is to check batteries and fuses. Thanks in anticipation. Ken

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken,
For checking fuses you need to use the continuity setting.
Many multimeters have a buzzer which sounds if there is continuity between the two tested points.
For battery voltage you need to select 20vDC and place the probes on each terminal , Red is Positive, Black is Negative.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kenny

My concerns have been rasied from your posting. Please forgive me if my assumptions are wrong , but:-

A multi-meter is a tool, and as with so many tools in the wrong ands it can be quite dangerous. The fact that you have asked how to use a multi-meter suggets a lack of experience and knowlege on the subject.

Damian's advice is quite correct, but i have to stress that if you are unsure about what to do even after Damians reply, then for your safety I suggest you obtain the services of a competent electrician. Using the wrong range, or the wrong measurment technique may at best damage the meter, but ther could be a risk of electric shock or it could start a fire. - even 12V electrics have enouh energy to start fires.

So I urge you to use good sence and leave well alone any aspect that you dont understand.

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
There we go again, somebody asks how to use/do something because they do not know how and somebody jumps in and says do not do it because you do not know how. Of course he doesn't know how to use the multi-meter, that is why he is asking, which to me is a responsible action. I would suggest that the OP does a websearch on howto use a multi-meter, there are lots out there, including videos.

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry you are 100% wrong.
If you do not know how to use a tool lets say a chain saw is is very unwise to try and use it with out the correct training. Now a Multi meter will not chop off your leg but unless you have an understanding of how to use it the risk of electrical shock or fire due to trying to measure 240 volts on the ohms setting or current setting is a high risk.

To obtain the level of expertise required to use a mulitmeter safely will not come from a reply on a forum and that is the advise given. It's like saying on a forum how do I drive a car and expecting a reply that will enable you to go out and be safe on the road.

The advice given was right make sure that you know how to use a multimeter safely before trying to use one and advice on a forum will not be good enough to do this.

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
top answer hortimech, i think this is the reason why so few people use this forum, the op has posted a a reasonable question, why the negative replies, a multimeter is not a complicated piece of equipment,just set the correct scale you require as indicated in the instruction booklet, you are not likely to just pick up a multi-meter and connect to the mains !!!!

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
jignc said:
Sorry you are 100% wrong.
If you do not know how to use a tool lets say a chain saw is is very unwise to try and use it with out the correct training. Now a Multi meter will not chop off your leg but unless you have an understanding of how to use it the risk of electrical shock or fire due to trying to measure 240 volts on the ohms setting or current setting is a high risk.
We are not talking of something that is as dangerous as a chainsaw, and if we were, I would probably offer the same advice, learn how to use it safely.

jignc said:
To obtain the level of expertise required to use a mulitmeter safely will not come from a reply on a forum and that is the advise given. It's like saying on a forum how do I drive a car and expecting a reply that will enable you to go out and be safe on the road.
The only way to find out how to do anything is to read the instructions and seek help. If someone was to ask how to drive a car I would point them to where they could the information required to find a driving instructor, I would not try and scare them witless.

jignc said:
The advice given was right make sure that you know how to use a multimeter safely before trying to use one and advice on a forum will not be good enough to do this.

Yes I would agree with you here, you cannot find out how to do anything complicated from a single forum post, which is why I suggested a websearch. I know from experience, if you tell someone that they should not do something because it is dangerous, they will not listen to you, so it is better to help them find out how to do what they want to do. They will then (hopefully) find out that they really shouldn't be doing it or will gain the knowledge to carry out the task safely.
Just saying something is dangerous, is not really much help to anybody, after all, just crossing the road is dangerous and we all had to learn how to do this safely. The OP seems to have realised that he does not know how to use his multi-meter, this is why he was seeking advice how to use.

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
This would be quite a good topic for an article in the magazine - would allow it to be answered more fully.
(having studied electronics at university, I know they benefits and dangers. I'd happily show someone but am very reluctant to give advice on a forum, where I can't really judge ppeople's prior experience and how well they're picking it up).

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ken, here is a link to a very good, simple , video of how to use a multimeter without blowing yourself up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU
Make sure you read the Instruction Manual, it gives loads of information and you will be surprised what you can do with a mulitmeter.
They are probably one of the most useful gadgets around once you become familiar with them.

You dont need a University Degree to use one by the way.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Damien's you tube link and explinations are spot on.

I get very tired of people living in the dark world of a "closed shop regieme"!

For many years basic electrical and plumbing was purposefully kept as a dark art. In other words don't let anyone know how the job is done as you will loose customers. More recently the electrical regs on colour coding of household wiring has taken a very dangerous turn. Both the live and neutral wires in fixed wiring have changed from brown and blue respectively to brown and brown!

This was purely done to deter non EIC-NIC qualified electricians from working on electrical installations. But as a consequence, householders have been electrecuted by not realising what they are doing. The other subsequence is that electricians have an improoved trade position.

Now before anyone starts! I do not encourage people to fiddle with electricity or gas installations if they haven't got any idea what they are doing. But teaching people how to use a piece of safety kit such as a multi meter for electrical work, or a gas pressure tester for detecting leaks, can only have a positive outcome as Either of these tools would prevent "heath robinson" testing, IE touching bare wires together or using agressive soap & water mixes for gas leaks.

I've seen people cutting conduit with wiring rated at 415V or "three phase" electric supplies to industrial machines, not knowing if the wires inside are "dead". One bloke got blown 20ft across the floor and his hacsaw melted when he was cutting free a machine that an electrician "said was dead". I bet after that the bloke learnt how to use a multimeter.
Even in house's you can get permanent live situations in bathroom and kitchen fans with delay timers, and even the burglar alarm will have a seperate permanent live electrical supply.

A typical senario where informal information is passed down is changing a wheel on a car. Probably more than 70% of car drivers got their first taste of that task was via their parents who got their knowledge from their parents and soforth. But we trust that we can tighten the wheel nuts sufficiently using the spanner (tool) provided. Then we check later with a torque wrench, if we know how to use it?

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
It seems as though A can of worms has been opened up. I consider myself to be quite technically minded and do most of my plumbing, joinery, small electrical jobs, bricklaying etc. What I really wanted to know was in what position do I put the dial on the Multi Meter to check fuses and also to check the strength of my battery(Iies). Don't think that would be classed as dangerous.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi kenny,
not so much a can of worms but the assumtion that anyone who askes a question has no idea what's what or they are a complete novice in most cases this turns out to be wrong some will complicate anything even changing a wheel.

the link Damian gave for the multi meter just about covers it basicaly +20v will test any car curcuit and 500v will test the mains and the ohms will test continuity. it's not rocket science.
as a matter of interest for testing powered and earthed wires on 12v I use one of these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-CIRCUIT-VOLTAGE-TESTER-6-12-24V-WITH-ALLIGATOR-CLIP-/370341201218?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item563a0e4542
very often it's the only tool I need to find a fault like a bad earth or broken wire,

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
kennygee said:
It seems as though A can of worms has been opened up. I consider myself to be quite technically minded and do most of my plumbing, joinery, small electrical jobs, bricklaying etc. What I really wanted to know was in what position do I put the dial on the Multi Meter to check fuses and also to check the strength of my battery(Iies). Don't think that would be classed as dangerous.

If as you say, you are capable of all the above mentioned work, I find it difficult to accept that you cannot find the information you require by reading the instruction manual that came with the meter. ( Assuming that one did come with the meter) or by just using Google to find the information. It's not exactly rocket science.

Steve W

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that with todays "Blame and Claim" culture, ithas stopped folk from trying things out for themselves, making mistakes and learning from that.

It does not matter which way you turn "Health & Safety " is screamed at you from all directions, so we end up with a population of people who cannot do the simplest of tasks for themselves. Absolutely crazy!!!.

When I bought my first house, the one I am still in today in fact, it needed new gas services, water services, electrical services completely throughout.
I had no money spare so couldnt afford "proper" people to do the jobs, so it was DIY or not at all.
Armed with my Readers Digest Home Maintainence book and a Junior Hacksaw I set about replacing the gas mains, but first obstacle was ............NO COPPER PIPE!!!!!! so had to use Black Iron, which meant threading pipe and jointing them, all of which I had never done before, but the person I bought all my bits and pieces from gave me good advice, and the job got done , no problems.

Same with electrics, all stripped out , replaced, all working. Yes I DID make mistakes but the electric soon told me in no uncertain terms, it flung me across the room ........................lesson learnt,"dont do that again".......and it all got done, all checked, all good.

Water was a bit more troublesome and wet!, at least with gas and electric you stayed dry and warm (which is kind of essential in winter ) but water,,,,wet, cold,,,wet again., but trial and error and it was done, and is still goodand all in copper pipe with yorkshire fittings (nearly set fiire to the roof on one occasion).
Would I advise doing that now, sadly no, as one would soon have the ever so concerned neighbour contacting all kinds of bodies to tell them that you are trying to kill them.
Did I enjoy doing it,,,,you bet!!! the sense of achievement is amazing.

What did I learn,well, how to use lots of tools and equipment which I had never seen or touched before (the petrol 12 inch angle grinder was awesome, it threw a dust cloud up to rival a volcano erupting!), the pipe threading die and stock was another amazing bit of kit, but hard work to get just right, electrics,always make sure BOTH ends of a cable are disconnected before pulling it out,,,,,,it hurts if one end is still connected!!, water,if your getting wet, you have done something wrong!!!

Today it seems that various bodies want to stop everything and turn the population into a almost "Walking Dead" type of thing.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Here we go again!!!!!! Come on guys get your hormones in check and chill out a bit!!!! Simple, question, simple answer, end of?????

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin, you should know by now, there is never a simple question and answer here.
Just look back at some of the marathons, all starting from a simple question!!!!

Aug 12, 2006
Visit site
More recently the electrical regs on colour coding of household wiring has taken a very dangerous turn. Both the live and neutral wires in fixed wiring have changed from brown and blue respectively to brown and brown!

Steveinleo I have not heard of this could you tell me where to find the details? Checked various sites but no mention of this. Having a background in industrial instrumentation I know a bit about electricity and find this proposal, if true, idiotic.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Both the live and neutral wires in fixed wiring have changed from brown and blue respectively to brown and brown!"

No they have not.
They have changed, in 2011, to Brown = Live, Blue = Neutral, Green/Yellow = Earth for normal domestic single phase installations.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd make a comment, most people can use a multimeter with care, that's not the problem.
The problem, if there is one, is understanding the readings the multimeter is giving you. For example, the voltage reading doesn't necessarily tell you the condition of the battery, and depending on the value of the fuse the resistance reading may vary.

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
Just a thought, I have always used a multimeter to check the condition of my vans battery and only have checked it whilst it is off the van usually because I take it off over winter etc,but I have never given any thought to whether or not you can/should check it whilst it is connected to the van?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You cannot check the condition of a battery with a multimeter.
All you can do is check to see how may volts are present.
To check the condition of a battery it needs to have a load applied to it and checked to see if the voltage remains constant or drops off significantly.

Whilst a Drop Test is , by some, not recommended on a leisure battery, it is a good way of checking the condition as the voltage should stay up around the 12.6 to 12.8v range under load.
A Drop Test is no different to using a motor mover, a short timed heavy drain.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Plotter, sorry ,I missed the last couple of postings by you.
If you want to know if the battery is fully charged, use your multimeter set on 20vDC and put the red probe on the + terminal, black probe on the - terminal.
If the battery is fully charged it should read around 12.8v, that is not connected to anything.
When connected to the van and the charger is on, a reading at the terminals should show around 13.8v if the charger is working.

However, just because the battery may read 12.8v, that does not tell you how good the battery is, or not.
To do that, whilst you have the battery connected to the van, but no charger on, get someone to switch on 12v appliances and see what the voltage reading does.
If you have a motormover, without the rollers engaged on the wheels, switch the mover on and select forwards or backwards, and see what the voltage does.
If it drops momentarily, but recovers to almost 12.8v then you have a good battery.
If the voltage drops off quickly and does not recover , the battery is not in good condition and probably needs changing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts