My first caravan

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
We have just purchased our first caravan. It's a 22ft Lunar Venus 1991 5 berth. It's just what we have been looking for minus and oven which we plan to have fitted anyway. But it is gorgeous, you can tell straight away that the previous owners have really taken care of it.

all we need to get going now is the water bottles and hook up i think. Plus I'm thinking of taking a few lessons with it, would anyone recommend these?

Our first outings will be local jsut to get used to towing it etc. but we are planning a trip down to Somerset in late August with my parents and their motorhome.

Can anyone recommend any advice to a complete novice jsut starting out?

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Deborah

Think about the loading for a trip. Plenty on information on this is available on the internet.

Also, take your time and don't rush with towing, better to get there late.

Have fun with the van

Steve

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
Yep, slowly does it. I'm think of putting sign in the back window of the van saying "sorry for the delay but this is my first time towing and i'm crapping myself"....lol

Would you recommend lessons?

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
We are fairly new to vanning, we bought our new van end of April and we have booked to go away every weekend till August, so its definetly addictive!

We never towed before...hubby never took a towing course (we did consider it)...but he just took the plunge and was fine...we started off going to easily accesible sites (no narrow roads) and went slowly. In the beginning I was more nervous than him (sat with head in hands)..but we have a good towcar and we travel light so the caravan is well within our weight limit.

We stocked our van with everything seperate from the home..ie - towels/toiletries/plates/cutlery/glasses/toothbrushes etc etc so that when we hook up all I need to pack is our clothes and perishable foodstuff and the rest stays in the van all the time.

Dont panic because everything will be fine,..if you forget something on your 1st trip away remember a shop is only a small drive away so its no problem. Also no-one looks at you like you are novices (we were worried we looked "new")...but take your time and you will be fine.

have fun!

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi also new to Caravanning, took a towing course with the caravan club which helped with confidence and was very informative about all aspects of towing. 1/2 daay course was split between practical and theory and was run by fellow caravanners who were very helpful and encouraging

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts