Nairn Lochloy

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Looking for a site with beach access. This site looks great, right on the beach. Anyone been there? Thinking of booking for the summer for a week before heading to Achmelvich Bay in Sutherland......x

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mairi,

We've been to Nairn Lochloy a couple of times. The touring/camping area is very small. The pitches are tiny and very closely packed. You are about a metre from your neighbour, if you or they have an awning up, or their tent is large.

The toilet block still gives me shivers, it wasn't very nice and small. Not very clean either.

On the plus side ( and the reasons we went a second time, but never again ! ), the kids will love. Great playarea, right next to the touring area, pool, amusements, entertainment, food and bar onsite, as well as the long sandy beach.

If you have your own facilities in the van and use them or can put up ith a little discomfort in the toilet / shower department I would recommend it. If spotless and high standard toilet / shower facilities are a must, I wouldn't recommend it to you.

Aaahhhh, Achmelvich ! We're staying at Ardmair Point, just North of Ullapool and will be visiting Achmelvich a few times on our July hols. Brialliant place, although haven't built the courage to actually tow to it and stay on the actual caravan site.

( what about Sands Gairloch as an alternative to Nairn ? )

Have a great holiday,

Alex.

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mairi, We were there last May, as Alex states the toilets and shower are minging and must date back to the day the place was built, it is stowed out with statics, apparently they have to have a certain amount of tourers for there licence, I would not go back.

However, the area all around is stunning, so look for another site in the area, the CC site at Culloden is not far away, and there is a C & CC club just up the road.

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys for your comments.

Glad I asked as I thought this site was exactly what we were looking for(mainly because of beach access). I guess if you're in a static it may very well be a different kettle of fish but for touring it does sound as if it's not quite up to the standards that we require.

Hubby is so looking forward to reaching Achmelvich but I know I will be traveling with my eyes wide SHUT as the road certainly puts me off.

Anyway, if anyone knows of other sites in Scotland with direct beach access I would love to hear about them.

Cheers for now x

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi, look at Sandend Campsite, lovely spot on the beach and sand dunes. Small site popular with families.

Banff Links Council site - on beach, superb playpark just outside the park entrance another very popular site with families.

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi, look at Sandend Campsite, lovely spot on the beach and sand dunes. Small site popular with families.

Banff Links Council site - on beach, superb playpark just outside the park entrance another very popular site with families.
Thanks Janet, will check out these sites. We were spoiled in Cornwall with beach access. There are so many sites out there that are unknown to me, so this forum is great for recommendations. Cheers x

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Janet, will check out these sites. We were spoiled in Cornwall with beach access. There are so many sites out there that are unknown to me, so this forum is great for recommendations. Cheers x

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Marie for beach access try Yellowcraigs at Northberwick about 400 yds from a beach 4 to 5 miles long about 10 miles from Edinburgh .or try Bunree site,it is 20ft from a stoney beach over looking loch. between FT William and Oban N/West of Scotland . I would recomend Yellowcraigs about 3 miles from small town of N/Berwick. quiete yet 1 mile from local pub same for local bus stop .small shop ,same distance away.OR Edinburgh C.C site .100yds from large beach but very hard to get booked .

All C.C sites.

cheers Duggie

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Duggie, thanks for the recomendations, Yellowcraigs sounds good. I've seen many pics of Bunree site but have never yet tried it out, it also looks great. Was through in Edinburgh last weekend staying at Morton Hall camp site (a great site to be based at during the Edinburgh Festival) and took a run to North Berwick,which was very nice.

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Belhaven Bay nr Dunbar also has a nice walk to beach. Smaller site but relaxed and kids play in the 2 small play areas.Good meeting place for them!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mairi

If you want beach access, kayak launching, in Caithness and Sutherland you'll find it hard to beat Scourie caravan park, Ardmair caravan park and the Sands at Gairloch.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts