Name and shame?

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
On my way back today coming up the M5 North of Bristol I was doing steady 60 in the inside lane when a 4x4? towing an Avondale Argente went past as if I was standing still so what you might say well he was in the outside lane,now there is a way to give us all a bad name.The question is should I name and shame but I suppose if I put his reg number this will be deleted so I will not,*Numerplate clues deleted...Mod2*so if you know him ask him why he felt the need to use all three lanes.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
I agree with giovanni. No point in naming and shaming. We all see stupid or bad driving on the road regularly and as always caravanners will be targetted as the cause for many a mishap or for causing traffic snarl ups. We know that the majority of caravanners do know the rules but there is always the minority that will let the side down.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Of course there is another way of doing something IF you really do feel strongly about it.

Make a formal complaint to the Police and tell them that you (and anyone who was with you) are prepared to make a witness statement then ask them what action they intend to take.

and

Before anyone tells me the Police wont take action I can tell you from personal experience that it is not always the case.

When I was working I took action in some cases such as this (towing in lane 3) which resulted in successful prosecution of offending driver.

Steve

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
As I expected the number plate details have been deleted which is only what I thought would happen the point I was making was the sheer stupidity displayed by the imbecile in question.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just returned from a day out at Tenby and Saundersfoot. On the A48 just west of Cross Hands is a lane closure for approx. 1 mile followed by a steep hill travelling east. Two heavy articulated lorries of Nolan Transport, Ireland decided to travell two abreast at walking speed for the full 800 yards of lane closure signs. Once clear of the road works one lorry driver then decides to attempt to pass the other whilst ascending the hill. All in all a rolling road block for approx. 1,5 miles. Don't get me wrong I am not cclassing all HGV drivers in the same moronic capacity as these two as there are some damn fine drivers on the road. However if this is how they intend to drive on British roads I would suggest that Nolan Transport send their freight from Cork to either France or Spain as they are not wanted in this country demonstrating this idiotic form of driving.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Plotter,

Glad you had a good time.

Reference the police if you report this idiot I am sure you will have to contact the area Police where the incident took place.

Graham W.

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
the reason these two wagons were doing a 'rolling road block' is to stop idiot car drivers tearing down the outside lane and cutting in at the last minute expecting those who have been in the queue to let them in.This i know because i travel this road six days a week and the amount of near misses i have seen you would not belive.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
The rules of the road are not as they used to be approaching a lane closure of this type the 'correct' way to handle it is to use BOTH lanes up to the point just before the closure the two lines of traffic should then filter into one lane alternately.In this way traffic will flow more freely the two lorries in question are breaking the law by causing an obstruction and as they are not the police have no right to obstruct the highway in this manner and should be reported for their actions.This however is a display of ignorance often shown by HGV drivers who think at times that they and they alone should be on the road.Now I have that off my chest I feel a lot better.

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
the plotter - what you say is true but how many times have you seen drivers taking turns in merging correctly? When you have a forty four tonne artic cut up by a thoughtless car driver it takes slightly longer to stop than your average car! I have been forced to brake hard on this particular piece of road on more than one occasion and if a rolling road block stops this happening so be it.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
The Plotter

the 'correct' way to handle it is to use BOTH lanes up to the point just before the closure the two lines of traffic should then filter into one lane alternately

Laughing my socks off at that one, when was the last time you saw traffic merge correctly ?? it's dog, eat dog, and I personaly thank Navman and his fellow lorry drivers for forcing some sense into other road users.

I am not saying you are wrong plotter, just in the world I live it won't happen !!!

Frank

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi.

Congrats on your sucsess, first time I trust.

This has the possibility to run and run. but can I ask a question to help clarify the situation.

What class of test have you just passed ??

Moped, car, car + trailer, lgv, pcv or road roller??

This could have some relevance to this thread..

Regards Birn.......

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can understand the thinking of Navman but the way in which these two idiots performed and the resultant tailback they caused beggars belief. If they were trying to control the flow of traffic through the road works there would still be the filtering problem with the traffic following on as they would still need to filter into one lane. Secondly why did they then cause further delay by one vehicle making a very slow attempt to pass the other on the hill at the end of the road works. I thought HGV wagons were now governed to 55 mph. unles of course you disarm the governer which quite often happens.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
The test was Approved Driving Instructor Part 2,Frank I will resist the temtation to rise yet again to you inane bait.

Navman I still take your point but you must admit that if you have 44 tonne then you should have regard for what is happening around you and act accordingly,for example why do I regularly see truckers with 44 tonne in tow drive 10 feet behind another at 56 MPH.I fail to follow the argument made by some that because some fail to abide by the 'rules'that we should all fail to abide.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Mr.P are you saying my husbands a bad driver? Well i will have you know that he has held his licience for more than 30years with no endorsements what so ever. Which is more than most can say. He has in his time taught the girls to drive and they all passed first time.

As for the particular stretch of road it is notorious for accidents just coming up to that junction, even without road works.

Nolan Transport drivers are a law unto themselves and are probably to worst drivers i have seen, but in this situation i believe it was correct to do it.

You would have to actually use that road both ways to understand the sheer volume of traffic using this round-about.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Diane - I am not sticking up for Plotter or your good husband but the road in question was the dual carraigeway west of the Cross Hands roundabout which is a good stretch of road which I have also travelled many times. I can even remember the old A48 with the notorious Nantycaws and Bancyfelin hills and twists and turns. this road is a Godsend compared to that old road.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Natycaws was a death trap Colin and in winter killed more people than i care to remeber.

I have seen so many people hurt on that stretch of road when i was driving back and fore from home to Swansea.

My own brother crashed twice on that stretch. But then He is and idiot!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The fact of the matter is that HGV drivers shouldn't be taking the law into their own hands.

Whats more, nobody is addressing colyn ap brydgynds complaint that .....once clear of the road works they carried on blocking the road by one attempting to pass another and we've all seen lorries doing that on the motorways.

One doing 2mph more than the other and takes about 4 miles to overtake. Meanwhile, if they looked in their mirrors they would see chaos behind and due to the knock on effect the traffic at the rear of the queue actually coming to a halt.

I'm not blaming ALL HGV drivers but there are plenty of bad apples in the basket and just because they drive for a living doesn't neccessarily make them good drivers considerate of others.

BTW Plotter, congrats on your test mate, well done :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. as I said previously there are some damn good HGV drivers out there just like all other forms of motorists. None of us are perfect but the blatent blocking of the highway for their so called fun to me is no joke. However there are also the Sunday afternnoon motorist who sit in the middle lane of the motorway at 50mph preventing HGVs , coaches and caravanners from passing. There is good and bad in us all.

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
Have been reading the messages posted on this thread and i take great exception to a certain member saying that i don't pay attention when i am driving. I leave ample distance between me and the vehicle in front allowing me a safe breaking distance. On this particular stretch of road there is no set spead limit through the road works - eg. 50mph. This allows one or more cars to come hurtling up at 70mph+ just to save a couple of yards and cutting in on my safe braking distance.

I have held my licence for 30years + and in that time i have had no accidents or convictions in what ever type of vehicle i have been driving.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately Navman there is an element within all walks of life that create a bad name for the good sector within society. Once this bad name has been created we all seem to be tarred with the same brush. I know the posting you refer to but would suggest you accept it with the contempt it deserves and not get too worried about it. Having met your wife today in Tesco I am under the impression that your halo will shine bright for many years. PS hope you don't drive for Nolans.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts