Name that caravan!!!!

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone. The wife and I brought a 2 birth Stirling caravan with a B&B chassis, in July this year after 6 years of camping. We were told it was mid 80`s but when I got it home and started doing her up, the rubber gas hose was stamped with 1978. I`ve looked on the plate and all that is stamped on it is serial number 9149, max weight 1300kg, Stirling, and the makers address. Does anyone know anything about these old vans? She`s 2 birth, hot/cold water with shower, double glazed plastic windows, door each side of van, oven hob & grill, blown air heating, fridge, zig charging unit. Its got all the mod cons of a lot newer van plus the added bonus of 10 x better build quality and a lovely curvey shape.

What I would like to know is if their is anyone who could tell me the model name, and if there are any clubs related to the make and age of van and also a spare part supplier.

We are gonna sell the old girl next year to get a 4 birth van, so any info would be a great help.

Can anyone help out there please?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
A photo would be a good idea, but that's impossible on this site - so do you have a link to an image stored on one of the many free picture sites?

YOu may also want to ask the same question to the Sterling Owners club http://www.sterlingcaravanowners.co.uk/

Also, if your flexible gas hose has a manufacturing stamp of 1978 - you may want to think about replacing this - if it's a thin pipe then they are usually replaced every year - or if a thick rubber pipe - then every 3 or 5 years.

You may want to check the tyres too - and look on the Internet for how you find out the year from the DOT code - if someone hasn't changed the flexible gas hose in 20 years - they may not have replaced the tyres either.

Robert

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I checked and replaced all gas fittings that needed it, re wired all the electrics cos it looked like a fight in a snake pit!!!! All I`ve got left to do is fit a new internal ceiling and job done. Photo at http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/is.php?i=430558&img=57vanholiday_027.jpg

Thanks for ya help!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan,

Your van has the design styles of the post-war "Winchester" - with the central raised top and the clerestory windows.

Very nice, but since we have an Eriba - we would say that.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Very difficult to date as Sterling used plastic windows before being forced too at the end of 78, they also didn't change the design much over the years.

Many of the mod-cons you mention came on the market at the end of the 70's and Sterling would be one of those companies to use them first, so that's doesn't help with an exact year either.

Early models had wall mounted water heaters while from 79/80 they would have used under-bunk storage water heaters such as the Carver Cascade mk1. If it has one of these then you may well find it's test certificate taped to the floor plate under the tank, this will have a date very close to the vans age. Carver/Truma room heaters often have a small data plate attached to the fire front that is also dated.

If by chance it has a Carver 'Caravelle' fire in there then these came out in 82.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A photo would be a good idea, but that's impossible on this site - so do you have a link to an image stored on one of the many free picture sites?

YOu may also want to ask the same question to the Sterling Owners club http://www.sterlingcaravanowners.co.uk/

Also, if your flexible gas hose has a manufacturing stamp of 1978 - you may want to think about replacing this - if it's a thin pipe then they are usually replaced every year - or if a thick rubber pipe - then every 3 or 5 years.

You may want to check the tyres too - and look on the Internet for how you find out the year from the DOT code - if someone hasn't changed the flexible gas hose in 20 years - they may not have replaced the tyres either.

Robert
rob_jax

Not "stErling" owners, if at all "stIrling" owners, but I think defunct. I had a Stirling in the mid-70s, it was simply known as a 'Stirling 14', I don't think they went in for model names. Yes, Winchester is same company, and later Cygnet.

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Very difficult to date as Sterling used plastic windows before being forced too at the end of 78, they also didn't change the design much over the years.

Many of the mod-cons you mention came on the market at the end of the 70's and Sterling would be one of those companies to use them first, so that's doesn't help with an exact year either.

Early models had wall mounted water heaters while from 79/80 they would have used under-bunk storage water heaters such as the Carver Cascade mk1. If it has one of these then you may well find it's test certificate taped to the floor plate under the tank, this will have a date very close to the vans age. Carver/Truma room heaters often have a small data plate attached to the fire front that is also dated.

If by chance it has a Carver 'Caravelle' fire in there then these came out in 82.
Thanks for that.

The warm air heater is a carver trumatic sb100 with date on the plate of 1965.

The oven is eastham maxol BG 41 date on the plate 1978.

The water heater is a Paloma PH 5 2F which I cannot find any data plate to look at to find age.

The fridge is a electrolux RM 212A but does not look as though its been there since the van was new.

All in all a very hard van to date!!!!

Cheers all!!

Alan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan

I replied to rob_jax yesterday about the name of the Owner's Club, if it still exists, and I've since looked at your 'photo.

We sold ours in '76, and believe we had glass windows, our 'front-end' door was on the near side, and we had an off-side door at the rear. Eric Gillman made plenty of 'mods for customers, for instance we had an underfloor tank fitted. They were known just as a 'Stirling 14', or 'Stirling 16', no model names. For spares, try caravan dealers in Gloucester/Cirencester area, have a vague feeling someone took an interest when the company closed. Sorry no more help, but when you get older the memory is the second thing to fail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
serial number 9149

First digit = year

Second and third digit = length

Forth digit = built

So 1979, 14' and ninth build of that seasons production starting September of 78, would have been built

around December 78 for the 79 season

Thank you to Dick at Sterling Caravans 01285 650222 9am to 1pm

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the information. Its a shame to sell her as shes a great van, but we need a 4 birth now. Anyone know where I`d get brake shoes for it?

Alan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts