NAPPA BRAND

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
This is tow car related regarding servicing, I use most named brands i.e shell, castrol etc when servicing our vehicles.

I have a neighbour who has started a managers job in a motor factors who push the Nappa brand among others,he says i could get good discount as he knows i do a lot of spannering for friends and family.

I know Nappa is a usa brand but has anyone any idea regarding the quality , are these parts o.e.m ?

Any info would be great, before i purchase from him.

Cheers.

đź‘Ťđź‘Ś

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve seen NAPA on adverts in the US and Canada but not in Britain. But the company have opened a U.K. office business so I guess they are pushing hard to develop their business. If the lubricants meet the vehicle manufacturer specifications then they should be fine to use. But for artefacts like our vehicles sometimes decisions are made by the heart not the head.

I’ve used non mainline U.K. makes such as Morrisons, Millers, Comma etc and not had any problems. NAPA are owned by Valvoline a well known brand in this country.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Cheers guys, might give them a go ,my daughters car is due front discs and pads and a servive shortly .

So will try them out .

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Parts will no doubt be fine, but if using oil be sure it FULLY meets the manufacturers spec. Modern engines are wonders of engineering and designed to use very specific oil, using the wrong oil could prove costly. Its one item I insist on getting from the main agents, its pricey fully synthetic stuff, but a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You would think if nappa was owned by valvoline the oil would be spot on ?
Yes, they are used a lot in the States, for aircraft lubricants.

Fraseb, my rear disc are down to 9mm( Minimum) Second pads are 50% 85k miles. But a fair bit of long runs, 500 miles plus on motorways.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Yes, they are used a lot in the States, for aircraft lubricants.

Fraseb, my rear disc are down to 9mm( Minimum) Second pads are 50% 85k miles. But a fair bit of long runs, 500 miles plus on motorways.
Will have a look ,thats good price for brembo for sure (y)

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You would think if nappa was owned by valvoline the oil would be spot on ?
Oil is very complicated with similar, but different, specifications for the same grade of oil - make sure the ACEA-category and manufacturers approval reference are EXACTLY as specified by your car maker - DON'T rely on API categories or viscosity grades alone.

Reactions: Fraseb01
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GSF have joined the silly high price sold at big discount club - other suppliers may be cheaper despite no discount.

I'd be sceptical of 2 disks and 4 pads for ÂŁ85, seems way too low for genuine Brembo
the pads are GSF own, Genuine Brembo discs, coated. Not a problem with them , Euro parts also doing big discounts as well.
I take my Safety very serious, reviews over a year or so for their Brembo discs, they sell are good. All part numbers match.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parts will no doubt be fine, but if using oil be sure it FULLY meets the manufacturers spec. Modern engines are wonders of engineering and designed to use very specific oil, using the wrong oil could prove costly. Its one item I insist on getting from the main agents, its pricey fully synthetic stuff, but a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild.
I went to a Subaru main agent and asked for a litre of oil. Out came 5-30 sae. ”No” I said it’s 0-20sae. He didn’t believe me until I took him to the car and showed him the oil filler cap embossed with 0-20 sae. He was getting confused wrt the difference between a non turbo and turbo engine. To be fair they had only been Subaru for three months after changing from Volvo, which was my previous car. Wonder though how many had been wrongly supplied.
WRT oil….. trust no one and check the specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and Fraseb01
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I went to a Subaru main agent and asked for a litre of oil. Out came 5-30 sae. ”No” I said it’s 0-20sae. He didn’t believe me until I took him to the car and showed him the oil filler cap embossed with 0-20 sae. He was getting confused wrt the difference between a non turbo and turbo engine. To be fair they had only been Subaru for three months after changing from Volvo, which was my previous car. Wonder though how many had been wrongly supplied.
WRT oil….. trust no one and check the specs.
I suspect that many franchised dealers just use one oil grade for all their models - which goes pear-shaped when manufacturers introduce a new emissions feature - back in 2010, Hyundai introduced an all-new 2.2 diesel which shared nothing with the previous 2.2 and used a DPF as part of its emissions equipment but most dealers continued using the old oil specification at service time - several owners spotted the error and got the dealer to change the oil FOC but no-one knows how many others used the wrong oil, potentially getting early DPF failure.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Oil is very complicated with similar, but different, specifications for the same grade of oil - make sure the ACEA-category and manufacturers approval reference are EXACTLY as specified by your car maker - DON'T rely on API categories or viscosity grades alone.

Also avoid weasel words like "meets" rather than the definitive "approved by VW, BMW etc".

May 11, 2021
Visit site
That can give a very short list of available oils as manufacturers often only actually approve one brand.
For engine oil this is not the case. Most manufacturers publish a specification against which oil suppliers can gain an approval if they do the prescribed testing, achieve the required results and fill in the correct forms (sometimes with a fee). A manufacturer may approve one supplier for factory-fill, but for service fill (ie any oil put into the engine after it's been built) there will be options, albeit the OEM may recommend an oil company. Sometimes the preferred oil supplier may be first to achieve the service fill approval since they are in a privileged position and then it is up to other oilco's to decide if they also want to have the approval and, if so, develop and test something themselves to do so.

On NAPA, one test I use for an oil's credibility is to look up whether they are registered as approved by an OEM. Not many OEMs publish their approval lists, but Mercedes do. There are some NAPA oils on there but not all the ones that are making MB claims, which is a bit of a red flag to me. It doesn't necessarily make an oil is bad, but if they say it is suitable for MB cars but MB don't, then I'm wary of what else they underwrite themselves rather than having formally-documented approval.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTQ
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
My old Ford Kuga had 190000 miles on it when I sold it and it still ran like dream didn’t use any oil , I always serviced it myself with whatever 20-30 oil I could get , all sorts of brands but I always used a decent oil filter

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My old Ford Kuga had 190000 miles on it when I sold it and it still ran like dream didn’t use any oil , I always serviced it myself with whatever 20-30 oil I could get , all sorts of brands but I always used a decent oil filter
I think the oil filter is a real positive, oil is so really important, in the newer engines, As an apprentice I used ,( used,) oil from our piston aircraft, in my motorcycle, but in the early days had hard times kicking over my bike when it was filled with oil from an Auster. Aircraft. The oil was so thick.

Reactions: paulsy69
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This car with oil and oil filter gave you a fantastic service and still going strong great

May 11, 2021
Visit site
What does “20-30 oil” mean? Do you mean mono grade 20 or 30 oils (unlikely and very unwise), do you mean 20W-30 oils (again highly unlikely and unwise) or do you mean 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils (far more likely and recommended).

Sorry to be picky but details like this are important, not necessarily to the story but to anyone who might read a post on a forum and take it as advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts