Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
who is going to the NEC ,what would they recommend to see ,and where are they stopping,we are going to Kingsbury water park and my footy team are playing in Derby kill 2 birds with one stone !

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Booked on the CC temp site in the carpark as I'm there all week working on the Bailey stand.
jump1.gif

Pop over to say hello.

Brian

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We'll be going now thanks to winning a couple of tickets on the PC competition.

I always cruise the side stands to see what new gadgets are around to help make the chores of caravanning easier, Having two knackered shoulders and now a vertibre going west I need all the help I can get these days.

Many years ago I made a jack leg spinner to use in a battery drill and foolishly didn't copywrite it, cos it was 5+ years later that mass production ones came available. You just have to look at the windup power products to see another example of garden shed developement gone global.

Often the best ideas come from the coalface and not the boardroom. But it's the boardroom who claim the prizes!!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We are going on Friday thanks to complimentary tickets. Managed to hire a mobility scooter for the day so no stopping every few metres and wife does nor have to worry about me. Taking all our own food and drink as prices in there are hideously expensive! Last year we had our lunch at the CC resting area. Got ther at about 10am so plenty of parking clsoe by and left at about 2pm before traffic build up. We went one year on a weekend and swore that we would never do a weekend again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Made a leg winder back in the mid 80s, cut the crank of an old black steel leg winder and turned the end down on a lathe, in to my black n decker 9v lecky drill and could guarantee it would be the talking point of any site we visited, likewise with PIR approach lighting, used the PCB out of a mains unit and retro fitted it to operate the awning light.Also made my own on site car wash kit with a 12v pump, pressure switch, hose pipe all mounted on a collapsible trolley, oh the joys of improvising. I now use a 12v portable Dirt Devil mini power washer when we are away with the van................................that could have been my product.................oh for hindsight
smiley-wink.gif
But the pleasure of tinkering is priceless.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't agree more, the pleasure of tinkering is immeasurable. Large Terry clips on varying length rods to keep waste hose in a gradient to drain away...home assembled mains kit for water hog...non-slip matting on aluminium steps...we must have saved ourselves no end over the years but as you say, "the pleasure of tinkering"
smiley-laughing.gif

Regards
Derek

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
hi . i have managed to get friday of work was hoping to get on the cc temperary site but booked for friday night , ok for saturday night, is their any site locally to the nec , we live near darford , kent so would prefer a site approaching the nec...thanks .....hasbo

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We went on wednesday.
Having both sailing and caravanning as our hobbies, we thought we would have a busy day. How wrong we were.
Boating was in hall 1 or less than half of it to be precise. If there hadn't been a dutch barge there, they could of held their show in reception. I've never seen such a poor turnout of show trades before. It just goes to show how bad the recession has bitten. No wonder Midlands today were drafted in to push the boat show on telly.

I did pop along to the PC stand to say thanks for my tickets, but the editorial team were on lunch break I guess. Still never the less the troops did a fine job of getting me to sign up for a subscription and getting a free bag of auto glym goodies.
In the tourer section (hall 5), there was an abundance of new caravans and awnings to view, ut I didn't see many deals on the go. But there were hoards of eager sales people empty handed.

My main reason for going was to view the side stands for new inovations but there was only a dozen or so small firms offering their wears.
It might just be my perception, but I was quite disappointed, and if Cameron and his cronies think that private business is the key to revival, he'd best have a look at the NEC show. While ther was plenty of offers and new vans to look over, there is a very depleated accessory side stand contingent to support the current caravanner.

Tow sure certainly had a good slice of the accessory sales with their mobile superstore. The only accessory that seemed to be selling like hot cakes was, the folding wheelie boxes. We got a purple one from a side stand donating to cancer relief. SWMBO loves purple.

Overall I would say that If I had of paid £31 for two tickets, £5 for the show guide ( as per price on it's front) and £8 for the carpark, I would of been well miffed.

Ok, shows are there to show case new caravans, but the supporting side stands should be there to support every caravanner or motor homer.
On the up side. An accessory I was thinking of developing for people like me who can't lift heavy weight at present, has not been made. So I'm going to make my prototype and develope it this year. If things go to plan, I could be looking at showing this next year.

I'm sure others will of had a different experience and will share their views on here too. After all if you were looking for a show special deal on a new van, there is plenty of offers there and as there were few sold signs up. You will have a good bargaining chip.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We were umming and arrhing about going until we got a pair on free tickets.
We went on the Tuesday and the q's for buying the tickets were long!
Had a good mooch but most accessories are cheaper online,agreed boats section was poor.
Did end up buying an inflatable canoe though which seemed good value, read reviews on it when got home and promply cancelled it lol.
Had no plans to buy a caravan, but got a spanner in the works with a silly not too cost to change, so desision to be made rather quickly.
Ended up with some new pens and keyfobs.
Car park is free which i think is the help form the CC as every other show i go to at the NEC they change £5

G

Sure wish we had free tickets! fist time in a while I've paid and was stunned to pay £31!! unsurprising then 'E' the first carpark was still not full when we were got there late at 11am!
On the quiet side then on Thursday, nice for those walking around but a lot of bored looking reps twiddling their thumbs, also as mentioned a lack of side stalls selling goodies at reasonable prices, reason I'm sure has a lot to do with them costing £6k a pop! also explains those brave enough to pay not being able to offer good prices then?
I was thinking though, if you scale that up, how much must Swift, Bailey etc are paying? £200K? probably a lot more! and together with all other costs involved, a considerable added cost to every van they sell, no coincidence then the NCC wanting to run their own show?
On a positive note, nice to have a laugh and a general chat with Doug King and Andy Jenkinson presence was a surprise?, also still not cheap but if you don't take your own grub, in the upstairs entrance corridor there is a fresh pastie seller, I had a bacon leek and cheese, Linda a 'traditional', We agreed we had never tasted better and very filling, coffee was very good as well
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Returned from The NEC today and must agree with the previous comments very poor turn out from the trade stands. We booked on line and paid £11 each for the tickets + admin charge so a bit cheaper than paying on the door, swore we would never change another caravan until it reached 3 years old, but offered a cracking deal against our 18 month old Bailey California for a Pegasus Bologna.............. ho no temptation...........begining to wish we had never gone
smiley-smile.gif

Allan & Gill.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I agree the carpark & guide were free, but they were still priced up. Obviously the NEC had already dropped those charges to try to boost footfall.
Having trod the carpet myself as an exhibitor at subcon engineering shows, I can tell you it's hell for the salesmen. The cost of a side stand is rediculasly high, so I can understand the lack of traders to some extent.
However for me it just gave a reality check on just how reccession struck the country is.
The spin doctors at westminster need to step out of the comfort zone and see for themselves just how tuff the trading conditions are.
New van sales and trade in's, were probably good value just so that the cost of the stand could be made.
I never buy at shows unless I go with the specific pre determined decission. What you save on the cost price is won back on the finance charges. I decided to buy a cnc turret lathe at a show once. The sale price was a hwopping £15'000 off list price. I had already done my homework with the manufacturer to determine the true retail price and I'd already negotiated with the bank a very good deal on the £250'000 loan required. So off I went to the MACH show at the NEC knowing I had the open cheque book so to speak. I actually came away with the machine I wanted and a smaller second operation machine for my pre arranged loan. The sales team were well annoyed because I didn't want their finance. They tried to argue that the prices quoted were assuming I would use their financier. But I got my deal my way.
The point being, if you rush in with show spangled eyes, you end up getting your fingers burnt.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Personally I don't do loans and it would have been a cash deal, I even managed to get it lower still by approaching the company I bought the California from, to start they wanted £500 more, left him my number as he needed to phone his boss, came back £100 below the original deal.

Allan & Gill.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We were going Sunday ( but my husband had a stroke and ended up in hospital on saturday night ) when you ask him are you ok and he says i cannot feel my left side . so we see if next time . possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts