Need a favour from a Freelander 1 owner with a handbook...

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
If I ever manage to sell my S60, I'll be replacing it with a year 2000 X reg Freelander TD4, and I quite fancy a 3 door hardback.

If your handbook covers the year 2000 TD4 models, would you be so kind as to let me know what the kerbweight and maximum tow capacity is listed as for a 3 door Hardback TD4 GS manual and a 5 door Stationwagon TD4 GS manual?

All the info I can find on the net lists them as both weighing the same, and I find that very difficult to believe. Our caravan is 1250kg MIRO and 1500kg MTPLM, so I want to check before I hunt for a 3 door...

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To my knowledge, the maximum permissible towload for any TD4 is 2000kg. For what it's worth, reckon on about 60kg difference in kerbweight between the 3 and 5 door model.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Dale ,

if you go to the Landrover website and click on the Owenership button , you'll then get a list of options and one relates to manuals.

Click on this link and it takes you to their Technical web portal where you can download any manaul for any LR. (its dog slow thow so be patient)

In the mean time the handbook doesn't differentiate betwen the 3 and 5 door , it states that unlaided weight (includes full tank and no accessories) is 1480-1525kg.

Max Tow weight is listed as 2000kgs and nose weight as 140kgs.

hope that helps

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
For goodness sake don't make your decision on the suitability of towing dependent on the extra weight of the 5 door model. It would really be a case of splitting hairs and I guarantee that you would never notice any difference when driving.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Lutz,

Surely you're not condoning buying a car that you don't know for definite could legally tow your 'van!?

My van is quite heavy, so I quite rightly checked that the car I was interested in was a suitable match...

Dale

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Of course I do not condone an illegal condition.

I therefore take it that you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997 because only then does kerbweight become an issue of legality. Only then may you not tow anything with a max. weight greater than the kerbweight of the towcar. However, kerbweight is specific to each and every vehicle and you cannot rely on any published data from a website, not even the manufacturers own one. This information is for guidance only. Accurate weight data can only be found either in the respective vehicle certificate of conformity or by weighing the actual vehicle itself. If the car manufacturer's published data only specifies one kerbweight for a particular model (as is often the case) then I have yet to come across an actual figure which was not higher.

If your intended outfit is very close to the legal limit for a category B driving licence and accuracy is therefore important, your safest bet is to check the actual kerbweight of the particular towcar you are going to buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts