Need a new heater

Aug 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi all.

Rite…so we need a new heater in the caravan. Technician was out and looked it over and it’s beyond economic repair.

We’ve a s3002. The gas side appears to work…..well at least I lit it and saw it ignited through the small viewing hole. But anyway, I don’t like the thought of gas heating so I’ve no intention of using it. The electric side is total scrap as it’s been butchered and worked on, there’s parts missing etc.

Now I’ve know idea how theses heating systems work so please give me a rundown if you can. Like do you only have blown air heating with the electric element or can you have it with the gas too?

Not really wanting to go to the expense of a new s3004 which may not fit as it’s taller (not sure by how much tho). Not ruling this out all the same.

So I’m thinking on replacing the electrical side with a used unit or if I could source a whole complete heater I’d just take it, but as I said I’m unfamiliar with these.

The caravan technician said he’d happily fit & test but doesn’t want the bother of sourcing one as I could be more bother to him than it’s worth which I understand.

Basically can anyone advise on my best way forward or what alls needed for the electric side? Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The caravan breakers might be an option. SFM have a good reputation

Blown air will work with both gas and electric. I’ve never felt a problem with gas, but would never leave it on overnight, same at home too. Always have CO detectors around.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
A caravan is a pretty small volume, so a cheap fan heater might work out much less expensive, As Clive has said, the heating will also work on gas, but can consume a bit, so a £20 fan heater might be a better long term solution.

Reactions: RogerL
May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi
I know a couple of caravaners that have had same problem they use the existing truma unit when they go off grid and use a fan heater when on EHU, and are happy with it.
These are the dimensions of the S3004 from the truma website if you decide to get one

approx. 10.3 kg
Dimensions (L x W x H)
373 x 503 x 545 mm
Installation cut-outs (L x W x H)
280 x 480 x 480 mm

Hope this helps
Gra

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure what your reservations are about using the gas heater, but if you concerned about CO poisoning, provided it's been installed and maintained correctly there is virtually a zero risk of it releasing CO into the living space as the gas heater has external air intake and flue. Its called a room sealed heater which makes it very safe.

The electric Ultraheat side of the appliance, can work as a convector heater or it can be used with the blown air system to distribute the heat. It is protected from running too hot by a thermal switch.

You use either gas or electric or both together, as both systems have thermostatic control.

As with any convector heater you need to ensure its hot air outlet grille will not be obstructed by clothing, bedding or furnishings. Provided this can be ensured it is safe to use the gas heater day or night.

Its up to personal preferences whether to use either the gas or electric heating over night. If you concern is about CO, then the risk would be the same day or nigh. Your CO monitor should detected it, and if you have raised CO becasue of the heater that means the heater or its installation is defective and it mustn't be used until it has been repaired by a competent LPG fitter.

You are more likely to have raised CO levels from your cooker hob or oven, both of which have open flames that exhaust directly into the living space.

If the gas side is working safely, but the Ultra Heat elements have failed, then cost wise a portable convector or fan heater can't be beaten. simply ensure the Ultraheat side of the heater is isolated electrically (Mains disconnected safely)

Reactions: toad a caravan
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I've tried both gas (carver 3000) and a small electric 1700 watt heater.I only have a small 2 berth caravan in winter the the electric heater was warm if sat on it where as the gas heater on minimum was more than sufficient,,also on the plus side it was possibly to make a brew without the breakers tripping,,Gary

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I've tried both gas (carver 3000) and a small electric 1700 watt heater.I only have a small 2 berth caravan in winter the the electric heater was warm if sat on it where as the gas heater on minimum was more than sufficient,,also on the plus side it was possibly to make a brew without the breakers tripping,,Gary
Fan heaters as much betterat space heating than convection ones.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I prefer a convector heater as they are completely quiet and I find the warmth generated to be more evenly distributed.
At home we have a tower ceramic fan, oil filled and convector radiators. No need to guess which one is favoured.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi all.

Rite…so we need a new heater in the caravan. Technician was out and looked it over and it’s beyond economic repair.

We’ve a s3002. The gas side appears to work…..well at least I lit it and saw it ignited through the small viewing hole. But anyway, I don’t like the thought of gas heating so I’ve no intention of using it. The electric side is total scrap as it’s been butchered and worked on, there’s parts missing etc.

Now I’ve know idea how theses heating systems work so please give me a rundown if you can. Like do you only have blown air heating with the electric element or can you have it with the gas too?

Not really wanting to go to the expense of a new s3004 which may not fit as it’s taller (not sure by how much tho). Not ruling this out all the same.

So I’m thinking on replacing the electrical side with a used unit or if I could source a whole complete heater I’d just take it, but as I said I’m unfamiliar with these.

The caravan technician said he’d happily fit & test but doesn’t want the bother of sourcing one as I could be more bother to him than it’s worth which I understand.

Basically can anyone advise on my best way forward or what alls needed for the electric side? Thanks
You will probably get the spares from Roger at
https://heartlandwaycaravans.co.uk/ He scraps caravans and often has the spares

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I use the blower on my carver to distribute the heat.I found the electric fan heater unsuitable for a small caravan .if put to close to objects or anything unknowingly dropping on it could be an unnecessary hazard

Reactions: Buckman

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Fan heaters as much betterat space heating than convection ones.
It depends. Fan heaters are noisy and when they switch off things cool down pretty quickly. Convection heaters can heat just as well, quietly, and retain some heat when the thermostat turns them off.

If my inbuilt heater ever died I would probably replace it with a fan heater, since there's nowhere to put a panel heater or two.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Sam,,I doubt if your heaters is as antiquated as mine (Carver 3000) ,if is has gas and electric at least you have a back up,also if the cost of repair isn't extortionate I would plump for a repair plus what the life of a stand alone fan heater

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends. Fan heaters are noisy and when they switch off things cool down pretty quickly. Convection heaters can heat just as well, quietly, and retain some heat when the thermostat turns them off.

If my inbuilt heater ever died I would probably replace it with a fan heater, since there's nowhere to put a panel heater or two.
I agree that fan heaters do make some noise, but different models make different amounts and types of noise which some people may find annoying or not. They do have a distinct advantage over convector heaters and that is the mix the air up which helps to reduce the hot head cold feet syndrome that you can get with convectors. If they have built in thermostats they can be quite annoying as some simply turn the elements off and leave the fan running which then of course blows cool air , and others turn the fan off as well, which can also be annoying with the change of noise as well as the sudden draft of cool air when they turn back on.

As for "retaining heat" again that depends on the type of convector. Oil filled units will tend to slow the rate of cooling becasue of their physical mass, which makes then weigh more. but they equally don't warm up as quickly than just an element convector.

Oil filled heaters will also radiate a small proportion of the heat they produce compared to an element convector.

There is another type of electric panel heater worthy of consideration, and they are Mica Panel heaters. which are quick to get up to working temperature. they produce convection heating and invisible long wavelength infrared radiant heating which is more comfortable than Quartz infrared which of course visibly glow quite brightly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not a bad price and from the images it looks in good condition
I'm sorry to disagree. Its two different heaters. It has the Truma S3002 gas system, and a Carver Fanmaster blown electric hot air system. and without a close inspection it's impossible to evaluate its true condition. There is nothing wrong with using the Carver Fanmaster with the Truma Heater, the fixing points for the fan unit onto the back box were identical, and the equivalent Carver gas heater had the same heat output, so th e mixed combination should work well.

However you could not use the Fanmaster as a convector heater, the heating elements were built into the fan assembly, where as the equivalent electric Ultra Heat from Truma had its elements mounted just behind the gas heat exchanger, and can be used in convection only.

If you go for a second-hand heater I very strongly recommend you have the removal and replacement of the heaters carried out by a qualified fitter who should be instructed to check the new heater for safety and all functions.

Reactions: Dustydog
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I agree that's why I said "looks".I was under the impression that trauma bought the carver company out...what then if you know (as it would be interested to me personally ) what major or significant difference are their between the carver 3000 and the Trina 3002S thank you Gary

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I agree that's why I said "looks".I was under the impression that trauma bought the carver company out...what then if you know (as it would be interested to me personally ) what major or significant difference are their between the carver 3000 and the Trina 3002S thank you Gary
There's a lot of commonality in the design between Carver and Truma because the early Carvers were licence-built Trumas for the UK market.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carver ran training days for caravan products . as part of the days they could be visits around the factory and a chance to meet employees and directors. On occasions brothers Jos and John Carver were also introduced often at lunch where you could chat with them. I knew them quite well and got to know more about the business. The Family had run businesses continually since the late 1770's , and it was a chance encounter with a caravan in winter in Norway which brought the Truma link together in the mid 1960's

Later In the the 60's Carver began to import complete Truma products, but over a period of years they moved to assemble kits and introduce locally supplied content. Then thanks to changes in EU regulations, the agreement between Truma and Carver was dismantled and by 1990's Carver had to design and develop the complete range of product to replace the Truma content, at which point direct parts interchangeability was virtually non existent. Truma began to export to the UK in direct competition with Carver in the UK markets.

That all coincided with a massive shrinkage in caravan sales over a few years , and there was not enough business for two major OEM players. Apparently Carver decided to sell its leisure arm of its business, and Truma were keen to buy, and the deal was completed in 1998/99. Truma continued to build Carver products under the name Carver Technology for about six months before closing down the UK manufacturing completely and transferring all sales to Truma.

Carver apparently longer has any trade with the touring caravan businesses. Instead it has expanded its international manufacturing of HVAC solutions for retail and industry, and continued with its traditional industrial workholding products.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
On my carver igniter Switch the central terminal HT cable connects to the spark activator.The other terminal (Side)is connected to the bracket on which the gas valve is mounted on the Truma 3002S (fitted in a relatives caravan)the cables are connected opposed and the ground cable is connected to the heater front cover ...which has a weak spark unlike mine

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts