Need new tyres

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Ours may be due within the next and we will be looking at fitting mid range however if at 7 years old still look as good as new, not much point in changing them.
You wouldn't be saying that if you'd ever had a fine looking old tyre blow out on your 'van !
Don't ask me how I know .....

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Ok, my caravan tyres are 7 years old and look like new but I’m moving soon from one seasonal pitch to another and don’t want to risk the tyres going pop.

Next June we plan to go to France for 2 weeks so these tyres have to last me 7 years and a good few miles so…….

My tyres are 175x65x14C and when I check online I can’t find any with the C or commercial but the below pops up quite a bit.

CrossClimate+​

Are these suitable for a caravan twin axel and I need 5 to cover the spare plus a mobile fitter as well near Stroud, that’s where my van is located.

Any ideas?

You do NOT need premium brand tyres for a caravan. Any of the above suppliers will be able to help. There are others too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You wouldn't be saying that if you'd ever had a fine looking old tyre blow out on your 'van !
Don't ask me how I know .....
We have had a new tyre less than two years old blow on us on the M4. We know the tyre pressures were correct as checked them before setting of and 30 minutes later a blow out. However it was a real budget brand as could not get the same brand so took tyre off spare wheel to put onto alloy with blown tyre and another brand as the spare.

As said it is something we may consider after our caravan has been serviced this Wednesday. While in storage our tyres are in the shade.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Lots of different opinions regarding type of tyres.

Me as stated above decided to get Radar Argonite RV4 tyres fitted.

These I got because they state that they are ....

Made for light trucks, vans, and utility vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes. It offers durability, stability, resistance to aquaplaning and low noise emissions. The Radar Argonite RV-4 features sturdy reinforced sidewalls for optimum protection against heat and impact damage.

And found some reviews off caravan owners hence my choice.

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Can't find any independent tyre reviews of these on the interweb.
They seem to come on a lot of caravans, certainly most Elddis twin axles, and Ive seen other posts on here with people that get them on their vans. Ive had a set that came on some wheels I bought. They're ok, they are certainly up to the job in terms of the wear, but it depends if you're the sort of person that follows the lifespan rules and changes them regularly or whether you want a tyre to last forever.

Its a bit of a random size, presumably as they want the smallest profile to squash those wheels in together.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tyres will be considered illegal if they have insufficient tread, cracks or bulges. In addition if the inflation pressure is too low or too high. Notably there is nostipulation maximum tyre age for cars or trailers.

Tyres have a very important job to do, and the conditions in which they are expected to operate has a massive range, so it's inevitable that failures can arise at any age, but there is a wealth of historical data that does show some generalised trends.

The first and most obvious trend is that the more milage a tyre does the greater the wear will be as evidenced by the depth of tread. In general tread depth is not a problem for caravan owners. But it is most common on cars.

The second trend is that as tyres age, they are affected by tyre composition, environmental conditions, and will age wear. Some issues will be exacerbated by higher mileage, loading, poor inflation, misadjusted tracking and driving styles.

Some tyres are abused, such as driving under inflated, which flexes and wears the side walls more than expected. Kerbing, which reduces the wall thickness. Driving through big pot holes or driving up kerbs, which can damage the internals of the tyre without showing any outward evidence of damage

Unfortunately normal drivers cannot see inside the tyre walls (if they can the tyre is definitely in need of changing) so any normal inspection is limited to an external assessment.

Consequently whilst there might be no outward evidence of significant material degradation or other problems, increased age must be considered to present an increased risk of failure. Especially for such low milage trailers like caravans, tyre age should be significant factor in choosing when to change tyres.

Bearing in mind that caravans even when empty invariably weigh 85% of their MTPLM they are likely to be exploring most of their tyres load margins all the time. the age related wear even when standing is going to be more severe than for a the likes of a garden trailer which is empty most of the time.

The generalised advice for caravan tyre to be change between 5 and 7 years is an eminently sensible approach, and any one leaving them longer is really inviting problems.

One of the advantages of living in the UK are the tyre retailing laws, where tyres have to meet some important standards at least gives you some certainty that even budget tyres should be good enough for most trailer applications. I certainly would not recommend going for premium priced products as it would be a waste of money.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Contrary to belief cracked tyres are not illegal unless the steel beading can be seen. Also having tyres on that are not correctly inflated is not illegal.

However it is good advice to change tyre is cracks are showing and also to inflate them if they are not of the correct pressure.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I would say cracked tyres would come under “condition” and if found not to be in a good condition ie. cracked they would be classed as unfit and illegal.

In the UK, a legal tyre must meet specific requirements to be considered roadworthy. Here are the key legal requirements for tyres.

1. Tread depth: The minimum legal tread depth for car and motorcycle tyres is 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the tyre and around the entire circumference. It's recommended to replace tyres when they reach the legal limit and consider replacing them at 3mm for improved safety.
  2. Condition: Tyres must be free from any bulges, cuts, or other forms of damage that could compromise their structural integrity.
  3. Type approval: Tyres must be of an appropriate type and have the correct speed and load ratings suitable for the vehicle.
  4. Run-flat tyres (if fitted): If your vehicle is equipped with run-flat tyres, they must be in good condition and functioning correctly.
  5. Mixing tyre types: It is generally advisable to avoid mixing tyre types (e.g., radial and cross-ply) on the same axle or across the vehicle unless the vehicle manufacturer specifically permits it.
  6. Winter tyres: There are no specific legal requirements for using winter tyres. However, if you choose to use them, they must meet certain standards and display the "M+S" (mud and snow) or snowflake symbol on the tyre sidewall.
  7. Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS): If your vehicle is equipped with a TPMS, it should be in proper working order.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to the MOT manual;

Reason for rejection

a. A tyre has a cut the length of which is in excess of 25 mm or 10% of section width, whichever is greater, deep enough to reach the ply or cords
b. a tyre has:
• a lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure. This includes any lifting of the tread rubber
• any of its ply or cord exposed
c. a recut tyre fitted to a vehicle not permitted to be so equipped
d. a tyre incorrectly seated on the wheel rim
e. a seriously damaged or misaligned valve stem which could cause sudden deflation of the tyre
f. a tyre not fitted in compliance with the manufacturers sidewall instruction, e.g.
• a tyre marked ‘NHS’, ‘Not for Highway use’ or similar
• an asymmetric with a sidewall marked ‘outer’ fitted with the marking to the inner side of the wheel.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I would say cracked tyres would come under “condition” and if found not to be in a good condition ie. cracked they would be classed as unfit and illegal.

In the UK, a legal tyre must meet specific requirements to be considered roadworthy. Here are the key legal requirements for tyres.

1. Tread depth: The minimum legal tread depth for car and motorcycle tyres is 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the tyre and around the entire circumference. It's recommended to replace tyres when they reach the legal limit and consider replacing them at 3mm for improved safety
Just one correction, motorcycle tyre tread depth requires a minimum of 1 mm of tread and a moped only requires a visible tread pattern.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

1. Tread depth: The minimum legal tread depth for car and motorcycle tyres is 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the tyre and around the entire circumference. It's recommended to replace tyres when they reach the legal limit and consider replacing them at 3mm for improved safety.
  2. Condition: Tyres must be free from any bulges, cuts, or other forms of damage that could compromise their structural integrity.
  3. Type approval: Tyres must be of an appropriate type and have the correct speed and load ratings suitable for the vehicle.
  4. Run-flat tyres (if fitted): If your vehicle is equipped with run-flat tyres, they must be in good condition and functioning correctly.
  5. Mixing tyre types: It is generally advisable to avoid mixing tyre types (e.g., radial and cross-ply) on the same axle or across the vehicle unless the vehicle manufacturer specifically permits it.
  6. Winter tyres: There are no specific legal requirements for using winter tyres. However, if you choose to use them, they must meet certain standards and display the "M+S" (mud and snow) or snowflake symbol on the tyre sidewall.
  7. Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS): If your vehicle is equipped with a TPMS, it should be in proper working order.
I’ve got advisories on all four of our runabouts tyres. The advisories are about fine cracks on the tyres shoulder. I will be changing them this autumn. The tyres are a sub brand of Yokohama. Our daughters previous car had similar advisories on her four tyres which were only 3-4 years old Dunlops. No idea when such advisories turn into a Minor or Major fail. I don’t normally hang around to find out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

WRT para 5 …….isn’t it illegal in UK to mix cross ply and Radial on the same axle?

WRT para 6 Winter tyres …..M&S tyres have no specific “ winter” standard to meet, and as such aren’t recognised as winter tyres, whereas 3PMSF tyres will have M&S on the sidewall but also the triangular snowflake symbol indicating that they have met certain standards of performance for snow grip and braking.

Reactions: RogerL
Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I’ve got advisories on all four of our runabouts tyres. The advisories are about fine cracks on the tyres shoulder. I will be changing them this autumn. The tyres are a sub brand of Yokohama. Our daughters previous car had similar advisories on her four tyres which were only 3-4 years old Dunlops. No idea when such advisories turn into a Minor or Major fail. I don’t normally hang around to find out.
Yes I don’t plan on hanging around to find out as well and would rather change a tyre on my car or caravan just to be safe and not sorry.

Ive already been through the ringer when I lost a wheel on the caravan and didn’t know until I got to the site, tyre was found 2 miles down the road.

Hence why I’m double cautious now.

Reactions: cooky1
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For clarity whilst the MOT process refers to "Cuts" it really means a separation of material that should be continuous , and as such it covers "Cuts" or Cracks" or any other penetrating damage or failure.

Whilst the MOT looks at the size and what the separation exposes to determine the legality of the tyre, if the fault is reported as an advisory, then it must be a clear indication the tyre is deteriorating and should be considered for replacement.

The added problem for trailers in the UK, there is no statutory requirement for a routine MOT, So most trailers don't get the benefit of a professionals opinion about their tyre condition. Consequently its up to the driver to decide, but it should still be judged against the MOT standard.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Remember – the tyres age starts from when it was made, not from when it was fitted.
I have discarded dozens of deep treaded caravan tyres over the years🥲. Circa 5 years old they have all shown signs of cracking and flat spots.
All the legal stuff has been well versed earlier.
Whilst there is no time Law ,Common sense should prevail. It’s a bit like towing ratios “rules or just recommendations or common sense “.
The bottom line is why take a risk that has the potential to cause a catastrophe. Short of using ultrasound how do you really know a crack is dangerous. Best fail safe in my book

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
However with all this talk of cracked tyres which I agree with changing them, if at 7 years your tyres show no signs of cracking, is there any reason why they should be changed? After all many people probably have spare tyres in the vehicles that are over 5 or more years old!

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
However with all this talk of cracked tyres which I agree with changing them, if at 7 years your tyres show no signs of cracking, is there any reason why they should be changed? After all many people probably have spare tyres in the vehicles that are over 5 or more years old!
Fully agree. I have yet to see any written Law that says change at 5 or 7 years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Following the horrific M5 northbound crash near Bristol in 2017 which we witnessed the law has been changed. Certain categories of vehicle have a mandatory tyre life. But it doesn’t affect cars, caravans etc. The details are in the HMG MoT testing guidelines in one of my earlier posts on this thread.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Spare tyres at 5 years old. Are you talking car or caravan? In a car the tyre will be shielded from UV and have no load applied other than air pressure. So I my mind there’s little comparison between a cars spare and a caravans road wheels as regards age degradation. Even the caravan spare has a more gentle life compared to its road wheels. I would change caravan tyres at 5 years from DOM and caravan spare at 7 years or earlier if I had to use it. But fortunately that only happened once in my time towing caravans.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't recall exactly when I became aware of a recommended tyre change, probably about 30 years ago in a Caravan Club magazine - the recommendation was that caravan tyres should be changed after 5 years in use or 7 years from date of manufacture which reflects the time tyres spend in the supply chain before being used.

Urban myth has changed that recommendation into a "rule" and in some cases changed to 5 years from date of manufacture.

Going back a few decades, I don't recall any issues with tyres (car or caravan) cracking prematurely - whether this modern phenomena is caused by manufacturing changes or environmental changes is irrelevant, it's a phenomena we all have to take into account but in the absence of cracking I work to the original recommendation despite my AWS technician telling me they need changing at 5 years from date of manufacture!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On our previous Lunar caravan the tyres were over 2 years old when it was fitted onto the caravan which we bought brand new. I have no idea how the tyres were stored prior to been fitted to the caravan. On that same caravan we had a blow out within the first year after delivery. At that point we discovered all the tyres were the "wrong way around" and one could not read the date of manufacture!

Both the Buccaneers that we have had the tyres have been under 6 months old so no issues there and currently the tyres all look as good as new on the outside as I cannot see the inside sidewall. One of them had a slow leak and it was discovered that nails had pierced the tyre in two different areas. Puncture repaired and no more issues. As we have TPMS fitted, we could see if the tyre had low pressure and took the appropriate action before moving off.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here is the HMG mot guidance for tyres

Thanks. That is the Guidance which is as good as the extract from the actual MOT Manual that I posted in post #36. However strangely both seem to indicate a pass under the following conditions when in my opinion it should be a fail;

Before failing a cut, you must make sure it’s the cords that you can feel not a foreign object. If you’re not sure, then you should pass and advise.

When assessing lumps or bulges in a radial ply tyre, care should be taken to distinguish between normal undulations in the carcass, resulting from manufacturing, and lumps or bulges caused by structural deterioration.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to Clive’s link only vehicles with 8 seats or more must change tyres after 10 years.
There is no Law that says caravan tyres must be changed at a certain age.
The rest is just adopt a sensible intelligent approach paying heed to your and your fellow motorists safety.
As referred to by Roger , my AWS likes tyres changed every 5 years. I go along with it to keep him happy. He’s very good and I don’t want to lose him👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts