Need new tyres

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. That is the Guidance which is as good as the extract from the actual MOT Manual that I posted in post #36. However strangely both seem to indicate a pass under the following conditions when in my opinion it should be a fail;

Before failing a cut, you must make sure it’s the cords that you can feel not a foreign object. If you’re not sure, then you should pass and advise.

When assessing lumps or bulges in a radial ply tyre, care should be taken to distinguish between normal undulations in the carcass, resulting from manufacturing, and lumps or bulges caused by structural deterioration.
I would agree that if I found a sidewall cut it’s change tyre time.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I’m not asking another question on this forum lol 😂.

Well the tyres on my van are like new plenty of tread because it’s not been travelled over the last few years and for the last 2 years it’s on a seasonal pitch.

So, the reason on changing mine is piece of mind as my HAB check shows three are 7 years old and one is 6 years so change it is.

What if say the caravan clubs and/or government depts say 10 years, 12 years would you then leave them on the van?

My car tyres will get changed when needed tread, conditions etc but due to the fact my caravan is sat around most of the time I’ll not take a chance and would rather change them now and not when one blows on a motorway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m not asking another question on this forum lol 😂.

Well the tyres on my van are like new plenty of tread because it’s not been travelled over the last few years and for the last 2 years it’s on a seasonal pitch.

So, the reason on changing mine is piece of mind as my HAB check shows three are 7 years old and one is 6 years so change it is.

What if say the caravan clubs and/or government depts say 10 years, 12 years would you then leave them on the van?

My car tyres will get changed when needed tread, conditions etc but due to the fact my caravan is sat around most of the time I’ll not take a chance and would rather change them now and not when one blows on a motorway.
I don’t see that there is any chance at all that the clubs or Government would recommend 10-12 years change periodicity.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Tyres can fail on both cars and caravans for other reasons than just 'past their use by date'. A regular occurence here is the poor condition of the roads. During the tourist season the local garages are inundated with rental cars with blown tyres - on some occassions the same car is back in a couple of times in a week.

For what its worth my daughter was unaware that caravan tyres had a 'use by date'. They towed their caravan for 17 years with the same tyres on them - only just changed this year. Addmittedly they live in NZ where the climate is different but their caravan has to undergo a Warranty of Fitness test every year (MOT equivalent) and its always passed. I don't know what the criteria to pass is though.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Tyres can fail on both cars and caravans for other reasons than just 'past their use by date'. A regular occurence here is the poor condition of the roads. During the tourist season the local garages are inundated with rental cars with blown tyres - on some occassions the same car is back in a couple of times in a week.

For what its worth my daughter was unaware that caravan tyres had a 'use by date'. They towed their caravan for 17 years with the same tyres on them - only just changed this year. Addmittedly they live in NZ where the climate is different but their caravan has to undergo a Warranty of Fitness test every year (MOT equivalent) and its always passed. I don't know what the criteria to pass is though.
Probably the same as on Continental Europe?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

My grandson has had four new run flats this year on his BMW 5 series. All caused by potholes. Luckily he has tyres and wheel insurance. Hopefully his experience will be history now that repairing potholes seems to be high on the agenda.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My grandson has had four new run flats this year on his BMW 5 series. All caused by potholes. Luckily he has tyres and wheel insurance. Hopefully his experience will be history now that repairing potholes seems to be high on the agenda.

Just above cleaning toilets and alongside making sure pigs can fly The councils do not have the manpower to repair the potholes and when they do choose the contractor who offers the lowest quote invariably the pothole is back within 6 months. We had one bad rut of a pothole repaired 3 times before they brought in another contractor and it has been fine for the past 4 years.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site

Tire condition ie no cuts, excessive cracking on side walls and thread depth >1.5mm.
WOF(warrant of fitness) is every 6months for vehicles pre 2000. >2000 yearly. None required in first 3 yrs for new vehicle.

Just because WOF is current doesn't mean owner isn't required to keep it in warrantable condition. If you have crash and tires are <1.5mm then insurance companies may not payout especially if you couldn't stop in time or slideout.

Replaced tires on my 2000 bailey when I bought it as suspect they maybe the originals. Still using old spare as its in locker out of sun and not been exposured to high loads.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Tire condition ie no cuts, excessive cracking on side walls and thread depth >1.5mm.
WOF(warrant of fitness) is every 6months for vehicles pre 2000. >2000 yearly. None required in first 3 yrs for new vehicle.

Just because WOF is current doesn't mean owner isn't required to keep it in warrantable condition. If you have crash and tires are <1.5mm then insurance companies may not payout especially if you couldn't stop in time or slideout.

Replaced tires on my 2000 bailey when I bought it as suspect they maybe the originals. Still using old spare as its in locker out of sun and not been exposured to high loads.
"Warrant of fitness" isn't a term I've heard used in the UK before - nor the reference to 1.5mm - is this the regulations in some other country?

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Originals will probably be Ovation VO2. Very popular with manufacturers it seems. They do your size and can be had for £35 a corner plus fitting.
Yeh most probs they are. Seen a video on YouTube a guy was showing peeps how he rotates his wheels and using his self levels to raise the van.

His tyres was Ovation VO2.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yeh most probs they are. Seen a video on YouTube a guy was showing peeps how he rotates his wheels and using his self levels to raise the van.

Apparently that is not a good idea although you can raise the nearside side to fit wheel locks or raise the other side, but not both at the same time. You can raise the front or the back, but not both together. Doing both together causes a huge strain on the chassis and in the E&P owner's manual this is not advised.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

In my and Al-ko book lifting a caravan using the steadies as a jack is a no no. They are NOT jacks.

May 15, 2023
Visit site
A few years ago there was a mechanic who fitted some New Old Stock tyres to his MGB, he had the equipment to fit them himself and being a mechanic, inspected them for any visible defects, inside and out, after a few hundred miles whilst driving on the M56 one of the tyres collapsed, the car flipped he was killed. The Police determined that although the tyres were "as new" the age of the tyre was the problem, in this case I believe they were 20 years old.

Frankly I don't care that that legally I can run 5 year old tyres on my trailers and caravan, for the same reason I don't have 5 year old brake fluid or engine oil, yes it will probably work but why take the risk, the cost over 5 years to replace tyres is minimal when you look at all the other running and depreciation costs.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A few years ago there was a mechanic who fitted some New Old Stock tyres to his MGB, he had the equipment to fit them himself and being a mechanic, inspected them for any visible defects, inside and out, after a few hundred miles whilst driving on the M56 one of the tyres collapsed, the car flipped he was killed. The Police determined that although the tyres were "as new" the age of the tyre was the problem, in this case I believe they were 20 years old.

Frankly I don't care that that legally I can run 5 year old tyres on my trailers and caravan, for the same reason I don't have 5 year old brake fluid or engine oil, yes it will probably work but why take the risk, the cost over 5 years to replace tyres is minimal when you look at all the other running and depreciation costs.
Ironically, changing the brake fluid is rarely included in the servicing task list - it's almost always an optional add-on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ironically, changing the brake fluid is rarely included in the servicing task list - it's almost always an optional add-on.
My last Subaru and our Kia’s both have brake fluid changes as part of the schedule service. Not a problem as I’ve always had it changed at two yearly intervals. Yet Kia don’t change pollen filters as part of the service.

These “ optional “ tasks keep the headline costs per mile down as a means of attracting fleet buyers.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive
Our Kia Cee’d service schedule states the Climate Control Air Filter must be replaced every 24 months. As I understand it this is what I know as the Pollen Filter. Or have I missed something in the translation🤪

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive
Our Kia Cee’d service schedule states the Climate Control Air Filter must be replaced every 24 months. As I understand it this is what I know as the Pollen Filter. Or have I missed something in the translation🤪
Dusty just checked my service invoices and for both Kias they just show cabin filter as "Checked" and when required I have bought an aftermarket one an fitted it myself. Brake fluid has been changed two yearly at service without me asking. The Rio had its 7th service in June, and the Xceed its 2nd service in August. Will look at owners manuals to see what they say.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dusty just checked my service invoices and for both Kias they just show cabin filter as "Checked" and when required I have bought an aftermarket one an fitted it myself. Brake fluid has been changed two yearly at service without me asking. The Rio had its 7th service in June, and the Xceed its 2nd service in August. Will look at owners manuals to see what they say.
VW recommend that brake fluid is changed at 3rd year service and every 2 years thereafter - the logic being that the initial fill is into a pristine system - but not included in their service plans!

Many manufacturers, not just VW, will state that conventional automatics are "filled for life" but hidden away is a recommendation to change ATF at some very high mileage - conversely VW dealers are keen to sell me the 40,000 mile DSG fluid change despite my VW not having a DSG transmission!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive
Dusty
looked at the Xceed service schedule and I hadn’t realised it was a 24 month, 20000 mile periodicity except for changing the engine oil and filter (1.5 TGDI)12 months or 10k miles. . And yes the cabin filter is stated as replaced at two years or 20k miles. Yet it wasn’t changed when it went in for service. Ticked as checked. Wonder if it’s because the car was only two years old with 8k on the clock.

Will look at Rio when it arrives home.

You’ve saved me some cash as next year when the Xceed is three years old I will only put it in for an oil and filter change. Cheers. 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts