Need new tyres

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Ok, my caravan tyres are 7 years old and look like new but I’m moving soon from one seasonal pitch to another and don’t want to risk the tyres going pop.

Next June we plan to go to France for 2 weeks so these tyres have to last me 7 years and a good few miles so…….

My tyres are 175x65x14C and when I check online I can’t find any with the C or commercial but the below pops up quite a bit.

CrossClimate+​

Are these suitable for a caravan twin axel and I need 5 to cover the spare plus a mobile fitter as well near Stroud, that’s where my van is located.

Any ideas?

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Google
trailer tire load rating c
There is also load index number on some tires eg 101 =1819lbs.
I went through this when replacing my old tires.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
It’s doing my head in getting a range of prices, makes fitted and don’t know what to go for.

One company quoted £360.00 for 5x fitted Rotalla make and online I can get 5x Radar Argonite RV4 commercial tyres for £308.90 fitted.

Did some research and still no idea.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You need to look at your load index as car type tyres of the right size are unlikely to meet the LI required. You can exceed your load index but must never go below.

Cross Climate are Michelins premium all seasons tyre and unsuitable for a caravan. No wonder the prices you’ve seen are eye watering.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You need to look at your load index as car type tyres of the right size are unlikely to meet the LI required. You can exceed your load index but must never go below.

Cross Climate are Michelins premium all seasons tyre and unsuitable for a caravan. No wonder the prices you’ve seen are eye watering.
What makes All-Season tyres unsuitable for caravans, assuming the correct load and speed rating?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What makes All-Season tyres unsuitable for caravans, assuming the correct load and speed rating?
Id suggest that it’s the price bracket for a top spec premium all seasons tyre. If the size and LI are compatible then the OP could use them and accept they are OTT for the duty required.

May 15, 2023
Visit site
If you have Tyron bands make sure the fitter knows in advance as they use a frame to ease tyre removal, most fitters carry them , but there is bound to be some who don’t. Tyre removal without the frame is tricky when bands are fitted.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site

It's a twin axle caravan, so each tyres load will be considerably less than it woukd be on a single axle.
I certainly wouldn't consider fitting super-expensive Michelin tyres to a caravan. Pretty much any tyre (with the correct load index) will be fine. Its not as if you are looking at hooning it around every bend at mega speed is it?.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ours may be due within the next and we will be looking at fitting mid range however if at 7 years old still look as good as new, not much point in changing them.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's a twin axle caravan, so each tyres load will be considerably less than it woukd be on a single axle.
I certainly wouldn't consider fitting super-expensive Michelin tyres to a caravan. Pretty much any tyre (with the correct load index) will be fine. Its not as if you are looking at hooning it around every bend at mega speed is it?.
Personally I fit the same brand standard of tyres to my caravan as my car - I wouldn't fit "ditch-finders" to the caravan if I was fitting award-winning tyres to the car. The difference between car and caravan tyres is reflected in their different specifications.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Ours may be due within the next and we will be looking at fitting mid range however if at 7 years old still look as good as new, not much point in changing them.
My current tyres look brand new not used much but with the van soon moving to another seasonal pitch and next June a trip to France I would rather change them now and job done.

Ive always been told that caravan tyres because of UV and cracking they should be changed before their 7th year per tyre date.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My current tyres look brand new not used much but with the van soon moving to another seasonal pitch and next June a trip to France I would rather change them now and job done.

Ive always been told that caravan tyres because of UV and cracking they should be changed before their 7th year per tyre date.
I used to change at 5 years old and when not being used they were covered and if in store for a period I would go along and rotate them. Mind you I never had a twin axle where there is a margin having four road wheels. I always purchased mid range from a known brand.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Did some googling on Cross Ply vs Radial tires. Cross(Bias)ply are typically used on trailers because they are cheaper but there is another advantage. Quote from webpage.

• The stiffer sidewall can be an advantage in certain applications, e.g., as trailer tires where a bias ply tire may deliver less sway and bounce than a radial
Also this quote.

When it comes to the bias ply vs. radial trailer tires debate, bias ply tires have long been viewed as holding a load-carrying advantage, but today’s ST radial tires are built specifically for heavy loads. Bias trailer tires tend to be less expensive, and are dependable when going in a straight line. Radial trailer tires are better at cornering, tend to bounce and sway less for a smoother, quieter ride and offer less rolling resistance for better fuel economy.

If in doubt I'd go with what the caravan manufacturers use.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Only catch is that if you have your van professionally serviced (as you need to from new to maintain any warranty) you may be refused a service sticker if the tyres are not changed at 7 years. Bear in mind that unless the service agent is the supplying dealer and you bought new (i.e. so the van is 'known') they will work of the manufacture date embossed on the tyre which may be a year or more older than the van. My van is a 2018 model that came out Autumn 2017 and we got it new in January 18, but the manufacturer tyres are stamped 5116, i.e. wk51 2016.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Ok, my caravan tyres are 7 years old and look like new but I’m moving soon from one seasonal pitch to another and don’t want to risk the tyres going pop.

Next June we plan to go to France for 2 weeks so these tyres have to last me 7 years and a good few miles so…….

My tyres are 175x65x14C and when I check online I can’t find any with the C or commercial but the below pops up quite a bit.

CrossClimate+​

Are these suitable for a caravan twin axel and I need 5 to cover the spare plus a mobile fitter as well near Stroud, that’s where my van is located.

Any ideas?
Try quick fits arrow speed rated at 91w

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you look at Camskill you will get any tyres you want, then find a local fitter that will put them on for cash, most do. Try https://www.camskill.co.uk/m90b0s510p199145/Powertrac_Tyres_Van_Powertrac_VanTour_Powertrac_Van_Tour_175_65_R14_C_90_88T_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_B_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB for example but others available
I use that sort of process, usually Camskill or Oponeo for the tyres and my local indy workshop for fitting - but you need to be comfortable in the rare event that the tyres are faulty you'll need to pay the indy again to remove them and then send them back to the supplier.

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
I use that sort of process, usually Camskill or Oponeo for the tyres and my local indy workshop for fitting - but you need to be comfortable in the rare event that the tyres are faulty you'll need to pay the indy again to remove them and then send them back to the supplier.
Hi Roger - must say in the last 15+ years I've been doing this I have never had an issue with faulty tyres although I have had faulty tyres on two brand new cars! (one Michelin and the other Continental)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Only catch is that if you have your van professionally serviced (as you need to from new to maintain any warranty) you may be refused a service sticker if the tyres are not changed at 7 years. Bear in mind that unless the service agent is the supplying dealer and you bought new (i.e. so the van is 'known') they will work of the manufacture date embossed on the tyre which may be a year or more older than the van. My van is a 2018 model that came out Autumn 2017 and we got it new in January 18, but the manufacturer tyres are stamped 5116, i.e. wk51 2016.
I am sorry, but I think that whoever told you that is talking total nonsense and our caravan has been professionally serviced for the last 5 years! Can you quote any law that states that they need to be changed at 7 years and anyway the caravan is out of warranty at 7 years? Also what on earth has tyres to do with a warranty as they are a wear and tear item?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts