Never towed a van and got scarred by snaking!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
TBH I rather have the caravan loaded than unloaded when towing as I think i gives the caravan more stability. This is my personal opinion and I may be incorrect.
Well we pick our caravan up from storage on route to our destination so our car fully loaded that our preferred choice and so far been ok

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
As the man from the insurance who investigated accidents, the simple fact is that I have not seen an accident cased by snaking on any combination with a good towing ratio although I do accept this is possible. On that basis assuming you are sticking with the tow car you need a lighter caravan than 1500 kg, I would certainly not consider one over 1,400 kg for peace of mind.
You should also check and adjust the nose weight and load correctly as recommended. There are suitable models on the market, although if you need six berths that might leave you struggling a bit.
I would also agree that a towing course would be your best course of action if nothing more than to put your mind at rest.
Snaking is in fact rare and the principle causes are excessive speed and unsuitable combinations although bad loading can be a contributing factor. If you are a careful driver and prepare well you should be safe but if you do find the outfit swaying a bit ease off a bit.
I doubt you will get a bad snake at 50, except in winds so strong you should not have been out in the first place.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Someone has suggested you can "accelerate to pull it out of the snake" That is a very risky and it is not recommended by any of the professional driving organisations, and it makes no scientific sense either as you are adding speed which increases the kinetic energy of the outfit, and that will feed the oscillation.
It was a very profession al organisation that taught us however I think I may not have put it across correctedly as usual. Going by experience if for example towing at 60mph and snake develops, you would remove your foot of the accelerator to slow down and when slowed sufficiently i.e. 45-50mph a gentle touch on the accelerator should stop the snake as the car pulls the caravan straight. By gentle touch I mean a quick blip.
I guess a lot depends on the tow car and whether it has the weight and power to perform this manoeuvre. Worked for us after snaking across three lanes however I was a very experienced driver.
Just to add if you don't feel confident enough, don't try it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Towing vehicles are prohibited from using the outside lane on motorways.
Can I add a clarification to that - towing vehicles are banned from the outside lane of motorways with three or more lanes - they aren't banned from motorways with only two lanes nor are they banned from non-motorway dual carriageways regardless of the number of lanes.

Reactions: DaveA1 and JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Can I add a clarification to that - towing vehicles are banned from the outside lane of motorways with three or more lanes - they aren't banned from motorways with only two lanes nor are they banned from non-motorway dual carriageways regardless of the number of lanes.
TBH I don't understand your reply to Parksy's quote as you seem to be saying the same thing?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
TBH I don't understand your reply to Parksy's quote as you seem to be saying the same thing?

Parksy posted "Towing vehicles are prohibited from using the outside lane on motorways." - but it's not as simple as that as towing vehicles ARE permitted in the outside lane of two lane motorways.

Reactions: Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Parksy posted "Towing vehicles are prohibited from using the outside lane on motorways." - but it's not as simple as that as towing vehicles ARE permitted in the outside lane of two lane motorways.
That's true.
The OP stated that as a North London resident he uses the M25 where he's had some close calls and where other drivers flash their headlights at slower vehicles in the outside lane.
I had a mental picture of him towing at 50mph in the outside lane of the M25 with queues of irate BMW and Audi drivers behind the outfit.

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
As the man from the insurance who investigated accidents, the simple fact is that I have not seen an accident cased by snaking on any combination with a good towing ratio although I do accept this is possible. On that basis assuming you are sticking with the tow car you need a lighter caravan than 1500 kg, I would certainly not consider one over 1,400 kg for peace of mind.
Well, I see this as a downside, but as other wrote - an 85% ratio is just a guide. I wish I had a course, but nowadays youtube will give me almost a similar experience (please don't shout at me - I have lot of good experience with learning on YT). My first towing will be on good roads, probably Sunday, so I will have low traffic (I presume).

Snaking is in fact rare and the principle causes are excessive speed and unsuitable combinations although bad loading can be a contributing factor. If you are a careful driver and prepare well you should be safe but if you do find the outfit swaying a bit ease off a bit.
I doubt you will get a bad snake at 50, except in winds so strong you should not have been out in the first place.
Right, and this is quite reassuring - all factors depend on me, and I know how strict I am regarding road safety. Thank you.

I got some reassurance from this thread - from experience people - that I am responsible for the safety, and, as I know myself, I will do my lesson.

So, in summary:
- weight on towbar close to caravan limit
- max 50 or 56 if following HGV (maybe not first few tows) - wont go below 50 on motorway as I don't want to be overtaken by every HGV
- exaggerate every maneuver + watch the wheels in external mirrors
- no pressure in case I need to take a lot of space - I will just block traffic and wait until I am safe to go
- well ballasted (heavy stuff under axle)
- no towing on crosswind > 18 knots
- watch watch watch your speed downhill
- foot off the accelerator when caravan starts to swing
- buy P sign ;)
Did I missed something?

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch and JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Sounds good but I'd happily tow in winds well over 18kts once you get a few miles under your belt. Good move initially. Just avoid Storm Martha or whatever name come s next ie v strong or gales.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The OP stated that as a North London resident he uses the M25 where he's had some close calls and where other drivers flash their headlights at slower vehicles in the outside lane.
I had a mental picture of him towing at 50mph in the outside lane of the M25 with queues of irate BMW and Audi drivers behind the outfit.
Noo, the close calls are idiots overtaking 5 cars on the other lane on 20 mph zone near schools. Flashing cars are when I overtake HGV on say A12 (2 lanes) driving 70-72 and having 3-4 cars in front of me driving the same speed. So I will give way, and he will tailgate the next one. And I am trying to keep my distance - so he sees space.
Don't let me start on roundabouts, as there is no one in London who knows how to use them (except me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:). And new highway code giving priority to pedestrians - no one knows about it.

So, again, having these experiences in mind, I am a bit scared of the driving a caravan, as I will be much more dependent on others.

But truth is, my storage (if I will buy) will be bit away from London, and most of these experiences will not affect me. I will prepare the list of good campings/motorway services and will, in the beginning, drive at night.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
You just have to learn to slow your life down when towing.
Let things happen around you, sure there are idiots that will try and overtake just for the sake of overtaking a caravan, be ready for them at roundabouts for example , and the last minute push past at the end of a crawler lane, those guys really wind me up. But take it easy, you will get there when you get there.5 mph faster isn't going to make much difference in your arrival time.
You get a 6th sense when towing, you can spot the fools that are going to cut in etc.
Also, I've never experienced a full on snake, but have felt the start of one so managed to catch it. And that was before having a 'van with ATC

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If ATC ( or Winterhoff IDC) has already been suggested in this thread, apologies, I missed it. On its own ATC is not the solution to snaking but together with careful matching, loading, sensible driving and all the other things that have been raised; it is a useful and effective asset. It will certainly help in the peace of mind department as well.
Also bear in mind that the videos on you tube tend to be of the more dramatic sort, and often demonstrate how not to tow. One example I saw was of some silly person overtaking going downhill at what looked like a ridiculous speed and then showing no sign of attempting to slow down when the van started to snake. I am not saying that all snakes are caused by reckless driving, but there are ways and means of minimising the risk.
mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well we pick our caravan up from storage on route to our destination so our car fully loaded that our preferred choice and so far been ok
Just to clarify when I stated unloaded I mean is no pots and pans, cutlery crockery, bedding etc. in it. I am surprised that you carry all that in your car but that is your choice. :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When my caravan is in the "unloaded" state, it is on the way home, pots pans Cutlery , clothes etc all in the van . Except for Awning, BBQ, Kojack, caravan table, Coolbox (summer only) which all go into the car. But we have a big caravan with only 156 kg payload, so after weighing our van, in reality about 30 kg for clothes,and food

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The key thing is the balance and nose load.
Thats so true, when I collect our caravan from storage, it is in the empty state, so my noseweight is about 70 kg. I have about a miles drive along a concrete farm road, so a couple of good sharp braking , hits, clears the brakes, and then on the 10 mile run home I can normally "feel" if the caravan is running nice, tyre, pressure and temps show correct on the Tyrepal. ( If not adjust at home when cold ) All nice to know before we load the van.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Right, and this is quite reassuring - all factors depend on me, and I know how strict I am regarding road safety. Thank you.
I got some reassurance from this thread - from experience people - that I am responsible for the safety, and, as I know myself, I will do my lesson.
- weight on towbar close to caravan limit
;)
Did I missed something?
The Nose weight needs to be set at the lowest of the two vehicles. ie My motors nose weight is 85kg and the vans' is 100kg My nose weight must not exceed 85kg the cars nose weight, the vans nose weight is immaterial.
Sorry for mentioning nose weight but the OP has clearly misunderstood.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Exactly Dave; simplistic but set the nose weight at the lowest of the two; our caravan is 150 but the car 140 so ours is 140kg!
Simplistic is how I always work:). some of the long explanations, at times, leave me cold, loose interest halfway through. Have something like 52 years towing and, never had a serious snake. Only problems is, in the tracking on motorways.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how easy it is these days to avoid motorways without hitting town centres, which to me are worse. I tend to drive at the speed of the HGV's, more because it is more economical than anything else. It can be a bit daunting having them overtake you at first, but you do soon accept this, and generally they tend to be better drivers than those in Transits and many cars.

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Not sure how easy it is these days to avoid motorways without hitting town centres, which to me are worse. I tend to drive at the speed of the HGV's, more because it is more economical than anything else. It can be a bit daunting having them overtake you at first, but you do soon accept this, and generally they tend to be better drivers than those in Transits and many cars.
Actually, I already gave it a thought - to drive on AXX roads, as I used them in the past (I do a lot of camping), and have to admit, most of the time those are very convinient. Obviously I prefered motorways as I could drive faster, but with caravan, I am at least planning to scan them via google maps and if they are fine, I might give it a test (poor drivers behind me).

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How close do you need to be to an HGV to enjoy their slipstream?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How close do you need to be to an HGV to enjoy their slipstream?
I don’t think Ray is advising slipstreaming isn’t it more that if you sit at 56 mph approx you are at a more economical speed and you don’t have to accelerate out into lane 2 so often as you would if you cruised at 60 mph.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don’t think Ray is advising slipstreaming isn’t it more that if you sit at 56 mph approx you are at a more economical speed and you don’t have to accelerate out into lane 2 so often as you would if you cruised at 60 mph.
I realise that he wasn't suggesting slipstreaming, but I was wondering how close you would need to be to feel the benefit of slip streaming?
Just to add that I have no intention of doing it as I consider it a dangerous practice although in France and Spain it seems acceptable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Formula 1 drivers reckon you can get some slipstream effect 100 to 200 yards back, but it gets stronger the closer you are, and that' with small slippy cars. lorries punch a much bigger hole in the air.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts