New 2010 Santa Fe - Auto or Manual?

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi, hope someone out there can help me. We're about to order the above car and not sure for towing whether manual or auto will be best. I know the MPG and RFL will be slightly worse for the auto, the key thing is the noseweight for some reason is 80kg on the auto vs 100kg for the manual. We will be upgrading the 'van soon to a Bailey Senator Caroline with an MTPLM of 1759kg. Both manual and auto can tow this 'van at about 90% so I'm fine with that. Is there anything you can advise me of the best box to go for. Thanks, Brian

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i have a 57 plate santa fe cdx 7 auto and tow a 2008 bailey senator wyoming roughly towing at approx 85% and no problems. The auto box is great and its just a chill out drive and your more relaxed when towing with an auto. What we have found tho with the santa fe auto box is when towing up a reasonable hill you will have to push it over to the tip tronic box and manually drive it.

The 7 seater has self levelling suspension and it does help because the max tow ball is 80kg. We do always weigh it before we leave and its never over 80kg. we have 2 gas bottles in there, a broom, and a few lighter thing but we dont ever fill the front locker or front end of the van. the awning usually goes in the boot with the dog but we have travelled with it over the axel.

if i was you i would go for the auto.

keep us posted.

jo

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Brian, I have a 06 plate CDXC auto and have towed 3 different vans the latest being a Swift Challenger 510 (4 berth). I have never had any problems towing and we took it out 8 times last year one 16 day trip to the Yorkshire Dales, I come from the south coast so not a short run.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I personally think buying any 4x4 with a nose weight limit of 80kg is pointless.

The reason usually for choosing a heavy tow car is to tow a heavy caravan. As the NCC recommend a figure of 7% for the nose weight, which in practise is not always possible, with a limit of 100kg nose weight at lest you are 20kg closer than a limit of 80kg.

The latest mondeao offers a 90kg nose limit, so it doesn't say much for the mechanical/structural strength of a 4x4 that only offers 80kg.

Buy the manual, or don't bother, prating about trying to keep the nose weight down to 80kg is not worth the effort.

Finally the consensus of opinion on this site is the higher the nose weight, the better the stability.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your comments. I'm at a loss as to why an auto 'box would reduce the noseweight by 20kgs - anyone know why? I really want the auto, but agree with Ray that 80kg is not much for a car weighting 1970kgs! The Carolina is a big 'van so it's important I keep as safe and stable as possible

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I seem to remember reading on Honest John that there are reports of dual mass flywheel failures on the manual SF. This was due to towing a caravan. Seems to be happening to a lot of towcars these days and expensive to replace. My SF is an auto, I would not touch a manual with a bargepole. I would say that the 80kg noseweight is not an issue for me, easy to achieve and no instability either.

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
David you're right - there have been reports of dual mass flywheel failures on manual gearboxes. I have a 2009 Santa Fe auto and would never wish to have a manual gearbox in anything other than possibly a sports car. It's a great drive and I while I regret not hanging on until the new model it was a god send in the recent bad weather. Nose weight has never been an issue for me and don't think it should sway Brian's decision.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi pitchupcyril,

Like you, I bought my Santa Fe at the end of October, and there was no mention of the new model being a few months away. Wish I had known the new one was just around the corner, I would have held off buying. However, I am 100% pleased with my SF, no regrets. I have had a Pioneer cd/radio put in, and wow it is fantastic.

You are right the SF is really great in the bad weather, no issues at all, well chuffed. Roll on hitching up and having a break with the caravan.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi pitchupcyril,

Like you, I bought my Santa Fe at the end of October, and there was no mention of the new model being a few months away. Wish I had known the new one was just around the corner, I would have held off buying. However, I am 100% pleased with my SF, no regrets. I have had a Pioneer cd/radio put in, and wow it is fantastic.

You are right the SF is really great in the bad weather, no issues at all, well chuffed. Roll on hitching up and having a break with the caravan.
The engine/transmission to be used for Santa Fe 2010 was announced to the world media, including the UK's Autocar and Auto Express in early-2009 so that should have been enough notice that changes were afoot. Full on/off road tests were published in Australia in the 3rd quarter of 2009.

Dealers (any brand) aren't supposed to even admit to a new model until launch day - so don't bother asking dealers - regularly read car magazines or use Google.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
The engine/transmission to be used for Santa Fe 2010 was announced to the world media, including the UK's Autocar and Auto Express in early-2009 so that should have been enough notice that changes were afoot. Full on/off road tests were published in Australia in the 3rd quarter of 2009.

Dealers (any brand) aren't supposed to even admit to a new model until launch day - so don't bother asking dealers - regularly read car magazines or use Google.
Hi RogerL

What you say is true. But what is done is done. My SF does all that I ask of it and some.

Have you seen the Honest John video road test, it is damned good.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I would ignore the comments about it not being a proper 4x4 with an 80kg noseweight. The weight of van does not really affect its noseweight as some supposedly lightweight vans still have high noseweights. The 7% rule is a bit archhaic and getting increasingly dificult to achieve as vans get heavier, but the drawbar limit for the van's chassis stays at 100kg (I beleve). A sensibly loaded van wiitha noseweight of 80kg will be stable, assuming the car-van weight match is within reasonable bounds and a 90% match would be okay.

Going back to your original question, I have a Sorento auto and it really does make towing so much easier. In congested traffic, hill starts or when pitching up I don't have the worry of clutch burn or dual mass flywheel failure. The penalty of 2-3 mpg is worth it. With the Sorento I rarely have to use the 'manual' mode except for downhill braking.

Cheers

Other Clive

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Some may consider the 7% noseweight recommendation archaic but it's only this LOW in Europe - in Australia and USA noseweights are typically 15% of the MTPLM. This does force the use of a "load equalising hitch" (bit like a very heavy duty blade stabiliser) but their towbars are designed to accept this even on cars with 80kg noseweight limit.

The 2010 Santa Fe seems to be well regarded in Australia, no self-levelling on the 7-seat there though - it's popular in the US as well but usually with only 2wd!

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Note to David, I knew all about the new model coming but just couldn't wait 5 months and have no regrets. I have just fitted a tuning box though with incredible results = much smoother, improved performance with better fuel consumption yet to be confirmed by fill to fill check. Only 115 Euros including postage but don't wish to drag this thread into the perrenial debate about tuning please?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a word of warning and not to expand the topic into another area but if I had just bought a new Santa fe, with its 5 year I would warranty certainly not fit a tuning box which will invalidate any warranty let alone insurance issues.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi James S,

I did consider getting a tuning box for my SF, but after talking to Hyundai customer service have rejected the notion. They say that fitting any modification would invalidate the warranty if it was deemed to have caused any damage. Looking at my engine, I would need to remove the intercooler and engine cover, not a quick job. Prior to a service or other visit to the dealer, it would take time to remove it all again. In an accident, you may not be in a position to remove the device, as you may be in hospital, what then?

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
If you fit a tuning box and are getting more power arent you supposed to tell your insurance company as it is not a std car anymore,effectively invalidating your insurance.

Insurance companies are looking for any way of getting out of paying these days.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
brian, as ive said before i love the santa fe auto and have no regrets. I had a new sedona before this and do miss the space a little and the elec doors but it was a manual.

ive know for months about the new santa fe coming out. There also a new kia sorento coming out aswell that might have a better max tow ball weight. I dont know if you know they are sister companys and will have the same engine in so who knows.

good luck and keep us posted

jo-anne

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi weve got a 58 plate manual.It pulls our Crusader Sirocco very well.

Our noseweight is 88kg and was suprised to see that the new manual is 100kg.

Only had the clutch smell a couple of times(both uphill reverses on a loose surface) have reported it to our dealer and he will investigate it at the next service in March.

Car sits level when hitched upto the van so i dont know if we would need the self levelling suspension for towing and there is never anymore than 3 of us in car.

Duncan

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Brian,

It is very difficult to answer your question of auto v manual. All except one of my towcars have been autos, and in normal circumstances would always buy an auto.

However all the above comments have been based on the old 2.5 engine coupled to an auto box.

The new 2010 Santa Fe has the new 2.2 engine and a new auto box. It is therefore unknown territory, as to how the new car will perform compared to the old one.

I dare say Hyundai have done their homework, but untill caravanners tow with the new engine and auto box and report back it's true towing performance is unknown.

If you buy a new auto model, when you have towed with it i for one will keenly await your comments on it's towing performance.

Hamer

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 2010 Hyundai engine/transmission is all new but it's been introduced in all world markets, in many cases ahead of it's UK launch.

Just how long do you give a new engine and/or transmission to establish their reliability reputation? If you wait until the first owners have done 100,000 miles, the model will have been replaced!

Hamer, Hyundai introduced their own 2.2 in 2006 and most of the replies on this thread relate to this engine, not the old ex-Mitsubishi 2.5.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Roger L,

Senior moment. Had the wrong car in my mind when making the comment.

Will have to keep taking the pills!!

However i would never buy a car with a new engine untill it had been for sale for at least 12 months. Just my old fashioned opinion.

Hamer

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Brian,

I have an 05 plate SF manual gearbox. Superb towcar. I've never towed with an automatic but I can assure you that you won't be disappointed with the car.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to you all for your comments and advice. We're going to go for the auto as this will also be easier for my missus who currently has a semi-auto on her Grand Picasso. We can't order the car yet though as the dealer cant get a decent trade-in price on the Citroen - he doesnt want it and Citroen dealers are offering way less than book price for a low mileage excellent condition car. Time to shop around this weekend and see if I can get a better deal on the Santa Fe and/or PX.

Thanks again, Brian

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
brian, my dealer here in coventry take px's. they used to be a citreon dealer and sell 2nd hand cars but i dont know how far you are from coventry. if you do ring up try not to deal with bob hes to old school .

jo

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Brian - if the dealer can't get a decent price for your car as p/x then the same will be true elsewhere. Numbers may vary due to the different ways that dealers negotiate but the "cost to change" will show who wants your business and who doesn't.

P/x prices of all cars are going UP and down ridiculously - I'd expect to be losing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts