New battery

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Thinking of changing my lesure battery and been told AGM batterys are a good option but do you need to change the charging system if i change or swap batterys

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi Plug, there may be pertinent information for you within the following links:

Most caravan battery chargers are not ideal for AGM batteries.

Link 1

Link 2

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Wow Link 2 lets a few ferrets lose.

Yes, but it made believable reading I thought.

For reasons I won’t go into, I had a spare AGM starter battery. My granddaughter’s husband said he was having problems with the battery in his Jag X type. We don’t think that the original was an AGM but my battery was going spare so he put it in. We are now about a month later and he says the car is starting better than it ever did. But reading that link, it may be shortening its life. However, that’s better than it sitting in my garage doing nothing.

John

Reactions: JezzerB

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Recently replaced our wet battery with AGM from Tayna Batteries. Wanted a sealed battery more appropriate for location in the habitation area (no vent tubes). No changes required according to advice from Tayna.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Recently replaced our wet battery with AGM from Tayna Batteries. Wanted a sealed battery more appropriate for location in the habitation area (no vent tubes). No changes required according to advice from Tayna.
Your set up with no vent holes is contrary to all best advice.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I don't know about "all best advice" but there are 100's of 1000's of motor caravans with sealed AGM leisure batteries in the habitation area. AGM is better than wet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know about "all best advice" but there are 100's of 1000's of motor caravans with sealed AGM leisure batteries in the habitation area. AGM is better than wet.
Just becasue there are many instances of a characteristic does not make automatically the correct of safest way to do it. There are 100's of 1000's drivers who speed - it doesn't make it right or sensible.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There are 1,000s of premium SUVs with an AGM battery in the passenger compartment under the passenger seat, eg VW Touareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne.

But caravans don't "need" an AGM battery, a EFB works quite adequately.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are 1,000s of premium SUVs with an AGM battery in the passenger compartment under the passenger seat, eg VW Touareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne.

But caravans don't "need" an AGM battery, a EFB works quite adequately.
Are the AGM batteries in “ premium” vehicles starting, stop-start or do they fulfil a separate function. My son had a Defender some years ago with a lead acidic battery under the drivers seat. Can’t recall if it also had another in the engine compartment too.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Are the AGM batteries in “ premium” vehicles starting, stop-start or do they fulfil a separate function. My son had a Defender some years ago with a lead acidic battery under the drivers seat. Can’t recall if it also had another in the engine compartment too.
The 5 litre diesels have twin batteries and separate various functions but the "smaller" engined models just have a single internal AGM battery covering all functions, including stop-start.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

My Volvo has two AGM. A large starter battery and a motorbike sized one. I know it’s to do with the start stop, and have been informed it is to prevent hiccups with lights, radio etc when it starts. Other cars with start stop only have only one battery. I suppose it is to do with however it was designed.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our Jeep does not have the stop start function. Last year I required a new battery and had it fitted by the "experts". Later the Jeep went to the Jeep dealer for its service and it was picked up that the incorrect battery had been fitted. The fitter at the battery shop had fitted an incorrect AGM battery.
The battery fitted was for stop start, but apparently it had an effect on some of the systems in the Jeep. It was changed for the correct AGM battery. AGMs are fitted inside vehicles in case of a roll over. No one wants acid pouring down on top of them!

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
So reading all the replys and thanks for them the outcome is that a AGM battery in a caravan has no improvement on a standard leisure battery

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
If your battery is located in a separate enclosure to the habitation area, then there is no point to my knowledge. I chose AGM because my battery is located in the habitation area. AGM are more suitable for this.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add we forgot to turn off the 12v and ended up with a flat AGM battery and it stayed like that for about a week. We then recharged it from about 6v land it is still going okay.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would not say , it's pointless, As if it is an AGM then there are no acid levels to check , and removal of my side fitted battery is a Pain in the bum.
Not many people have to check battery levels on modern lead acid cells. Even my Banner which wasn’t “ sealed” was only checked twice a year and had not required a top up in two years.

But removal is a pain and a slide out shelf would be good. Although weighing more than the maker supplied apps of dubious utility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts