Nov 4, 2005
Visit site
HEEELP.

I am driving myself nuts trying to work out which car to purchase. The problem I have is that I travel 30,000 miles per year for work/leisure, (mostly motorway driving), so ideally need a diesel car which will give me the good mpg figures, however, it needs to be big enough to tow a soon to be purchased but not yet chosen 4 berth single axle caravan. As I have yet to win the lottery the car is likely to be 5 or 6 years old as opposed to brand new. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Phil

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Philip; may I suggest you just brouse this forum; the subject comes up week after week and you will find all you need I think. I do have my Mercedes 250T for sale which will meet most criteria but it would need to be smaller van around 1230kg fully laden weight.

Having just taken delivery of a brand new KIA Sorento I am itching to get around 500 milkes on it so that I can take our Bailey Senator (1440 kg fully laden) out on her maiden voyage.

Suggest that you selct the caravan first and then calculate the size / weight / power of the required vehicle.

all the best; John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I agree with J.I.S. It's easiest to decide on a particular caravan then find a car to suit, or to find a caravan to suit a particular car, than to leave both options absolutely open.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If your price range is 5-6 yrs old you've a slight dilema.

At 30,000 you'll need a large conventional car/estate, not 4x4, with a diesel but at that age diesel power outputs were quite low although diesel torque has always been good.

Try Vauxhall Omega saloon or estate. Early versions had a 2.5 BMW diesel, manual or auto, which needs a lot of expensive service and doesn't have a good reputation. Later versions had a 2.2 GM diesel which is more economical to run but only in manual.

If you can increase your budget to get a 1 yr old car, a lot less than list, I'd suggest the Vauxhall Vectra 1.9CDTi or the Ford Mondeo 2.0TD. Either will give 130 bhp and around 50 mpg.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
god, i am starting to get a better picture of why some seem to be

so hard to get through too. why not try reading the question again, rather than changing it to suit you.

car. 30,000 miles a year,then caravan.

if you have around 4k to spent have a scout through the autotrader, look in the diesel section and the est section.

peugeot 407 hdi's, skoda octavias,ford galaxy tdi's.

under

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Philip I agree with Giovanni - but any cars that you fancy - check them at at this website - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/home/index.htm - click on Car-by-car breakdown.

How much will you have available [including P/X] for this 'new' car?

Mike

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
2000 new shape mondeo may be in your budget they can tow around 1450kg and do about 47mpg they have plenty of room inside and being ford parts shouldnt be expensive either, if you live anywhere near northampton then try The car Shop they have loads of well priced ex company cars which will have been looked after properly so should last you a while

Nov 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies,the comments were very useful. We are now going to spend the winter having a lot of fun choosing our very first van and dreaming of the spring!!

Cheers

Phil

Nov 15, 2005
Visit site
Try a Volvo S60 D5. Its a 2.4 Turbo Diesel, does 48mpg at 70mph, and weighs over 1500kg so can tow a fairly hefty van.

And it's reliable as heck. Should be able to pick up a 3-4 yr old one for around

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts