New COVID treatment

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I was reading yesterday about a new medication for vulnerable people who if they get symptom's and get treatment in first 5 days it can stop it getting worse, then today my wife received an email say she is being sent PCR test kits that she is to use whenever she feels anything worrying, if she tests negative she can request replacement kits and should she be positive she will be fast tracked to be treated with the new latest drug within 5 days which should contain any symptoms and prevent being hospitalised and getting any worse, new treatments seem to be available often.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was reading yesterday about a new medication for vulnerable people who if they get symptom's and get treatment in first 5 days it can stop it getting worse, then today my wife received an email say she is being sent PCR test kits that she is to use whenever she feels anything worrying, if she tests negative she can request replacement kits and should she be positive she will be fast tracked to be treated with the new latest drug within 5 days which should contain any symptoms and prevent being hospitalised and getting any worse, new treatments seem to be available often.

BP
That’s good news. Hopefully the turn around time for PCR tests allow the timescale of five days to be achieved. Might be an idea to get some LFT test kits in as they give instant at home results.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

BP
I got the same email yesterday. At least the govr4nment is being proactive about it.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Might be an age thing as I received a letter re PCR test in the post today, so I shall shortly have that as well as some LFTs in the house in case of need.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Also got the email. Think it is going to those who are deemed clinically vulnerable. Which, for those of us who consider themselves superhuman, is a bit of a blow. 😀

Don’t think it is just age as OH who is the same age as me, didn’t get it.
mel

Reactions: Hutch and JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Also got the email. Think it is going to those who are deemed clinically vulnerable. Which, for those of us who consider themselves superhuman, is a bit of a blow. 😀

Don’t think it is just age as OH who is the same age as me, didn’t get it.
mel
Are these emails going to those classified as extremely vulnerable and were required to stay indoors isolated during the first lockdown?

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
It’s to the people classed as vulnerable yes, can be for a load of conditions such as diabetes’, cancer treatment, severe asthma and basically conditions where by if a person contracted covid it would almost certainly kill them, being given this new drug will probably keep them well.

BP

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It’s to the people classed as vulnerable yes, can be for a load of conditions such as diabetes’, cancer treatment, severe asthma and basically conditions where by if a person contracted covid it would almost certainly kill them, being given this new drug will probably keep them well.

BP
In the first lockdown there was a difference between vulnerable and extremely vulnerable - only the latter group were contacted directly by the NHS with instructions to shield.

It's great news that there are now medication treatments becoming available.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In the first lockdown there was a difference between vulnerable and extremely vulnerable - only the latter group were contacted directly by the NHS with instructions to shield.

It's great news that there are now medication treatments becoming available.
It certinly is for those of us that are extremely vulnerable to Covid 19 variants.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our daughter has just rang me to ask for some of our LFT tests kits and to ask me to order some on the website. She has some on order now for over a week. She works for the NHS mental health trust and requires them to be able to visit care homes or service users in their homes. The trust cannot supply her any. So in the absence of LFT the team try and do their work remotely which isn’t great when dealing with the mentally ill, and some patients may miss out on regular medication checks. Clearly the statement that LFT are not in short supply doesn’t match the reality.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

BP
I recieved the Email, and my symptoms are for Polymialgia Rhumatica, (unknown pain in joints ) which I am on a 6 month course of Steroids, but my wife who has COPD, has not recieved the email.
At least HMG are proactive.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I recieved the Email, and my symptoms are for Polymialgia Rhumatica, (unknown pain in joints ) which I am on a 6 month course of Steroids, but my wife who has COPD, has not recieved the email.
At least HMG are proactive.
AFAIK it's only those with more severe conditions who are classed as "extremely" vulnerable - my COPD is mild but I don't qualify despite having Heart Failure as well.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our daughter has just rang me to ask for some of our LFT tests kits and to ask me to order some on the website. She has some on order now for over a week. She works for the NHS mental health trust and requires them to be able to visit care homes or service users in their homes. The trust cannot supply her any. So in the absence of LFT the team try and do their work remotely which isn’t great when dealing with the mentally ill, and some patients may miss out on regular medication checks. Clearly the statement that LFT are not in short supply doesn’t match the reality.
That’s ridiculous. Like asking a Surgeon to operate without a scalpel. 🤬🤬

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s ridiculous. Like asking a Surgeon to operate without a scalpel. 🤬🤬
Yes. What they are doing at present is trying to move their own kits around if a critical visit is required, or asking the care home if they can provide. Of course this affects the family use of LFT to check each of us, before we get together over Christmas.. It’s always risky to exhort or mandate the public to do something at short notice when the logistics are not in place. There’s the risk that Joe P might try and comply😀

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did read about the new treatment which it said was pills to be given to the vulnerable who get Covid. You apparently need to ring your GP who can issue a prescription. It your household is isolating though not sure how you get the pills.
If you need the test kit, most chemists should have them, although I only got one on the second chemist I tried. and of the five chemists we have only four showed on the website as supplying them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I did read about the new treatment which it said was pills to be given to the vulnerable who get Covid. You apparently need to ring your GP who can issue a prescription. It your household is isolating though not sure how you get the pills.
If you need the test kit, most chemists should have them, although I only got one on the second chemist I tried. and of the five chemists we have only four showed on the website as supplying them.

The online portal says all the available delivery slots are full for today and refers to collecting at a pharmacy. The three near us have none in stock and are awaiting delivery but cannot say when. It seems to be a logistics issue. Give it to Amazon :eek:

Funny thing is that last Christmas we had no vaccines and LFT test kits weren't much cop, and not readily available. It was mainly PCR or nothing, and leave the windows open. :(

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
OK Ethical issue.
I have got the PCR with an offer of medication to prevent severe disease if I test positive. OH who is also in his 60s but is not immune suppressed does not have this option. If I get Covid, chances are he will have it too. So I get meds and he doesn’t. Not sure that I can buy into this because if he doesn’t make it; I live with the guilt. On the other hand if I don’t take it and give the meds to him; then he lives with the guilt. Plus If I don’t take it I might be a burden on the NHS.
Would much rather not have the choice because it is a moral maze ☹️
Mel

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to all the medical evidence the majority who are double jabbed and boosted will at worst , if unlucky , only get a “mild”dose of Omicron. I don’t believe for one minute the Alpaha or Delta have disappeared.
My daughter is in the same boat as you Mel. She has an immune system issue leaving her more vulnerable. Ironically she caught Covid six weeks ago. Not very ill but her sense of taste and smell is still not fully recovered.Her son had it too but hubby was fine.
Is it possible you can purchase the appropriate drugs privately? No idea on cost.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OK Ethical issue.
I have got the PCR with an offer of medication to prevent severe disease if I test positive. OH who is also in his 60s but is not immune suppressed does not have this option. If I get Covid, chances are he will have it too. So I get meds and he doesn’t. Not sure that I can buy into this because if he doesn’t make it; I live with the guilt. On the other hand if I don’t take it and give the meds to him; then he lives with the guilt. Plus If I don’t take it I might be a burden on the NHS.
Would much rather not have the choice because it is a moral maze ☹
Mel
If OH has had boosters and not immunosuppressed the statistics seem to show he might catch it but should not be too badly affected or hospitalised. So on the balance you should take the medication. A modern take on “Sophie’s Choice“. Hopefully though the precautions that you take will see neither of you having to make the decision.

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If OH has had boosters and not immunosuppressed the statistics seem to show he might catch it but should not be too badly affected or hospitalised. So on the balance you should take the medication. A modern take on “Sophie’s Choice“. Hopefully though the precautions that you take will see neither of you having to make the decision.
I'd go along with OC's logic - statistically it'll hit someone who's immuno-suppressed far harder than someone who isn't.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly the cost of the treatment is the stumbling block as I believe it is about £5,000, money may come first although you will not get acknowledgement of this. It might be that the supply is limited at the moment though in which case the decision makes sense.
What really supports the vaccine programme though is the fact that 9 out of 10 people in critical care are apparently unvaccinated. They are fools to themselves is my opinion and are risking not only their own lives, but there families, friends and the rest of us.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
It's a shame that they won't use ivomectin as there is glaring evidence that it worked in India , but that only costs pennies per dose so no money in it for big pharma

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts