new england bay, or garlieston, cc sites

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello all, i cant make my mind up between the 2, has anyone been, or know the areas, if theres nothing to do , thats absolutely fine, but it still has to be nice, thankyou. ED

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi ED,

Both sites are very good but very different. Garlieston is more compact than New England Bay. Garieston is a small village with a shop, pub and bowling greenwith some nice walks around the shoreline, also gardens nearby which can be included in a circular walk. New England Bay is on its own with the nearest shops approx 1 - 2 miles, however again you are next to the shore and there are good walks. NEB is closer to the Logan Botanic Gardens which are well worth a visit. Plenty of sightseeing opportunities on both sites and the ferry port of Stranraer is not tooo fat away. If you are coming from England Garliestown will be slightly nearer. I like both sites but if pushed would go for New England Bay. Hope this information is of some help to you, I am sure you won't be disappointed wherever you go.

William

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi ED,

Both sites are very good but very different. Garlieston is more compact than New England Bay. Garieston is a small village with a shop, pub and bowling greenwith some nice walks around the shoreline, also gardens nearby which can be included in a circular walk. New England Bay is on its own with the nearest shops approx 1 - 2 miles, however again you are next to the shore and there are good walks. NEB is closer to the Logan Botanic Gardens which are well worth a visit. Plenty of sightseeing opportunities on both sites and the ferry port of Stranraer is not tooo fat away. If you are coming from England Garliestown will be slightly nearer. I like both sites but if pushed would go for New England Bay. Hope this information is of some help to you, I am sure you won't be disappointed wherever you go.

William
thankyou william, thats what i thought , im going to book later today, looking like n,e,b,

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ed,

I would choose New England bay every time.

Port Logan village nearby is well worth a visit."2000" Acres of Sky was filmed there if you remember it.

The lighthouse at the Mull of Galloway on a good day you can see the coastline of N/Ireland.

Portpatrick.

The beach at NEB is flat and very safe....ideal if you have children with you.It is very much a family site and the caravans are pitched amongst gorse bushes,and just a 2min.walk to the beach.You will be able to get a site plan off the CC web site.

Maureen

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
thankyou maureen, im just about to book, to go in a couple of weeks, do you know if there are any parts of the journey where it would be ok to pull over for a while, after you come off the m74 or is it a74, basically when you start heading out towards stranraer.thankyou...ED

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello william, we are coming from west yorks,im fine upto where i need to take a left (just passed gretna) and head out to stranraer.. weve not taken the van out this way before, and as we will have our grandaughter with us (who gets car sickness, shes 4) we do need to stop occasionally, i have booked for new england bay , thankyou again,ED

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Ed,

Have you tried anti travel sickness wrist bands - Boots stock them ? They worked for grand daughter but not for grandson. Maybe boys are just awkward !

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Ed,

Have you tried anti travel sickness wrist bands - Boots stock them ? They worked for grand daughter but not for grandson. Maybe boys are just awkward !
thankyou for that ,i will try some, we go down to disneyland paris a couple of times a year, and there is a particular spot when we know she is going to be sick......not a good thing.....but thankyou....ED

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
thankyou for that ,i will try some, we go down to disneyland paris a couple of times a year, and there is a particular spot when we know she is going to be sick......not a good thing.....but thankyou....ED
Ed.

Know what you mean.

We once used a childrens clothing shop on the outskirts of Hawes which did a regular trade in replacement childrens clothing for parents who had just done the (bumpy) journey from Leyburn. How is it that children who are car sick just love rollercoasters ? We keep a stock of seasickness bags (liberated from the ferry) in the car.

Mike E

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ed,

When you turn off at Gretna keep following A75 Dumfries/Stranraer until approx 3 or 4 miles from Stranraer shortly after passing village of Glenluce then turn left onto A715 then B7084 which takes you to A716 where you turn left and continue to site.You are looking at approx 2/3 hrs from Gretna. There are some quite large layby's on the road or if you want something to eat & toilets,when you are bypassing Dumfries at the 1st R/bt after the junction with the A76 (Kilmarnock) turn left S/P Golf Club & Dalbeattie there is a garden centre in about half a mile which has room for caravans, or carry on the A75 for approx 9 miles to Loch View Motel on R/H side of road where there is plenty of room to pull in.

Hope this is of help to you. Enyoy your stay at New Eng;land Bay your Grand daughter will love it. Let us know how you get on.

William

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike, the A75 is good all the way, with plenty of lay-bies, so you should have no trouble. Make sure you visit Wigtown town hall to see the ospreys on their nest on cctv, and visit the Bladnoch distillery.There's a CL in the distillery too. Also whilst in Wigtown(it's Scotland's Book Town, btw)go to thw visitor centre on the wetlands and watch the wildlife from the hide.great pub in Bladnoch, opposite the distillery, but I can't remember it's name. Enjoy!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike, the A75 is good all the way, with plenty of lay-bies, so you should have no trouble. Make sure you visit Wigtown town hall to see the ospreys on their nest on cctv, and visit the Bladnoch distillery.There's a CL in the distillery too. Also whilst in Wigtown(it's Scotland's Book Town, btw)go to thw visitor centre on the wetlands and watch the wildlife from the hide.great pub in Bladnoch, opposite the distillery, but I can't remember it's name. Enjoy!
sorry Mike, that post was for ed!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi ed,

you have picked a good site,We where there in June 03 not to many midges it can get quite windy sometimes so make sure that you have some strong nail/pegs for your awning.

You can if your lucky get a pitch that faces the beach Its so peacefull , lots of people off load there boats into the sea for fishing.

Royston

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
thankyou for the directions and the advice .....we cant wait to go....hopefully we will take some good weaher with us....we did that at the beginning of june in the highlands....so will the midges be a problem...ive got some stuff we used in june...i just never thought of the little so-and-so"s...thankyou all again...take care....ED

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
just an update....weve been and what a lovely site..it even managed to be peacefull with chidren on it... we were overlooking the beach and the view was perfect...we did take some good weather with us...went to the lighthouse and up to port patrick..how wonderfull is that...picture postcard springs to mind...we will be going back..and may have to purchase a boat...very jealous of the ones that were there...thankyou to all who gave me info and directions on this site...(new england bay)...ED

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts