New member saying hello

Jan 14, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks thanks for accepting me. I'm new to caravanning so please excuse any of the frequent stupid questions

Ive been camping most of my life so know a bit about roughing in it , but recently retired and we've bought our first caravan a 2003 Abbey Vogue GTS 212., tow car is a 2.2 renault espace diesel . Ive only had it out once to try it , from Grimsby to York managed quite while including reversing round a corner which astounded me , thought I'd have trouble . The car seemed to struggle up hils , but i think that was maybe not loaded right.
I'm looking for an awning and told i need an 818 , is there anywhere that advertises them as specific for the van I have please?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mik, welcome to the forum.
Having bought a Dorema awning some years ago from Towsure I know that Dorema make caravan specific awnings.
Click Here to see a You Tube clip of an easy way to measure your caravan for an awning using a length of string.

There are no stupid questions, only the ones that you ought to have asked - but didn't ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
AFSCMik said:
Hi folks thanks for accepting me. I'm new to caravanning so please excuse any of the frequent stupid questions

Ive been camping most of my life so know a bit about roughing in it , but recently retired and we've bought our first caravan a 2003 Abbey Vogue GTS 212., tow car is a 2.2 renault espace diesel . Ive only had it out once to try it , from Grimsby to York managed quite while including reversing round a corner which astounded me , thought I'd have trouble . The car seemed to struggle up hils , but i think that was maybe not loaded right.
I'm looking for an awning and told i need an 818 , is there anywhere that advertises them as specific for the van I have please?

Awnings aren’t normally made specific to a caravan apart from pop tops like Eriba or Trigano etc or other custom type vans. Otherwise it is a case of buying an awning that fits your van. It’s owners manual should tell you the awning size but I also prefer to actually measure it by using string from the ground along the awning rail and down to the ground.

Being new to caravans you could look for a pre owned awning. One other thing you could consider is a good midi awning. These are not full size but some will be around three quarter length on a caravan. The advantage is that if you change your van a midi can mostly be used on the next van. Top midis are Isabella not cheap new but on the used market. Like Parksy I have also used Dorema awnings and find them very good.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Not sure of the engine size of your Renault, but I would not have expected it to struggle on hills, but caravans do slow you down especially into a headwind.
If you do go for a less than full size awning do check the length to try and avoid one end going over a window. It is not fatal but it is better to avoid this if you can.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you have a look around on site I think you will find that most caravans have a porch awning of some type rather than a full awning. There are many configurations, including either inflatable of metal/fibre poles. You often see them advertised second hand. If buying either a new or used try to buy a width that will fit the van without obstructing a window - typically available in 200, 220, 260, 300, 360, 390cm widths (against the caravan wall). Worth clicking through to the awnings on a site like Towsure who have a wide range illustrated to get an idea of what would suit you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
audiorob said:
If you have a look around on site I think you will find that most caravans have a porch awning of some type rather than a full awning. There are many configurations, including either inflatable of metal/fibre poles. You often see them advertised second hand. If buying either a new or used try to buy a width that will fit the van without obstructing a window - typically available in 200, 220, 260, 300, 360, 390cm widths (against the caravan wall). Worth clicking through to the awnings on a site like Towsure who have a wide range illustrated to get an idea of what would suit you.

With the shape of many modern vans it’s not always possible to avoid a window,especially the front nearside lounge window. This is because the front section of the van can be very curved so you cannot have the front edge of the porch/midi in front of that window. And putting it between the door frame and the rear end of the nearside window is neigh on impossible given that there isn’t sufficient space between the door frame and the rear edge of the window. So I’m reconciled to having the awning partly over the front nearside window. To safeguard the window from scratches I wipe it down and also wipe down the section of awning pad that will touch the window. Never had problems with scratching of the window.

Jan 14, 2019
Visit site
thanks for that . makes a lot of sense .... we only really need one to sleep in if we take two or three of the grand kids with us . ithe car is a 2.2 diesel . I'm maybe not using the gear box to its full advantage . i think its a pretty small caravan looking at some on the roads . Does it supposed to be nose heavy on the tow bar or back heavy to take the weight off it?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
:eek:hmy: Try and keep heavy things away from the back , try and place them over the load baring axle and towards the front nose heavy'ish and & dont load back heavy to take the load of the tow bar or you'll loose control when driving as it will be an unstable outfit.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Welcome to the PC Forum!
If you join the Caravan and Motorhome Club (which used to be called just the Caravan Club), you will receive a directory and map, listing all the C&MC Sites and CL's (Certificated Locations, which only take 5 caravans) and have full access to a load of information on their website, from how to measure for an awning, a checklist of things you may want to take with you and lots more detailed information.

As to awnings, top quality ones that are always recommended, seem to be made by Isabella or Bradcot. Bradcot do a bedroom annex which zips onto a full awning and they also do a quick pole system, with lightweight aluminium poles that are very easy to handle when it comes to erecting an awning and are much lighter and more manageable than the steel ones, that come as separate poles.

Happy and safe caravanning to you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts