New Nissan X-Trail v Santa Fe?

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
We can't decide between the Santa Fe (2.2CRTD CDX) or the New X-Trail 2.0cdi Sport - help!

At moment we are towing with a Passat 1.8T (Petrol). Lots of power but the suspension is too soft and the car is low slung. We are looking at the new XT (Sport) but can't decide between 150bhp or 173bhp. Our present van is only 1200kg when loaded but we want to be able to pull a heavier van in future.

Never had a XT before, although have had 3 Nissans. Also is there a real problem with getting a towbar fitted as forum suggests? Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
I have the 173 X-trail Sport, but haven't looked for a towbar yet. The car's destined to tow a 1500kg van (not decided which one yet).

We went for 4WD to avoid grass skids when moving the van in the garden, but wanted as good economy as reasonably possible.

Depreciation is the main expense with a new car of course - the X-trail should fare reasonably well. Fuel consumption is about 45 mpg (that's according to the dashboard instrument so say 42-43 mpg really) with 50mpg recorded over 150 miles recently with air-con on. No regrets so far...

The Caravan Club test on the X-T suggests that its suspension is up to towing (and so it should be!).

We thought the Santa Fe or the Kia cars would be a bit expensive in the long run, and some test reports are luke-warm.

Bryn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the 150bhp Sport XT and the towbar was fitted at the dealership by an independant fitter before I collected the car

He fitted the Witter towbar and 12N electrice for

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi sarah, we have just bought a new santa fe cdx 7 auto, 2.2 diesel. in three weeks we have done 600 miles i got rid of my 07 sedona for the santa fe as my dad in law has an 02 plate and he tows and thinks its fantastic.

im so glad i changed from the sedona we was having so many problems with it.

we have towed 4 times already with it in three weeks and its fantastic. the 7 seater cdx model has self leveling suspension that helps a little.

we tow a new 2008 sterling elite onyx and its so stable.

jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
sarah, i forgot to say the 5 seater 2.2 CRTD CDX doesnt have the self leveling suspension but the 7 seater does. the two extra seats are handy and so easy to put up and down.

the spec is so high on the cdx and the only thing it lasks if im honest is rds on the stereo but not everyone is bothered.

we had the santa fe in silver with the black leather which has the red piping is so nice. the privasy glass looks great on a silver car.

my sister has got a 57 plate nissan quashqai and it took months to get it and nissan messed her around no end. usually with hyundai they deliver pretty quick.

good luck

jo-anne

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne

You say your dad has an 02 Santa Fe.

What weight does he tow?

The 02 Santa Fe weighs just over 1600kgs. The 2.0 ltr engine gives 109 bhp is this enough weight & power to pull a 1600kgs van

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi graham, they dont have the same van as us they have a 2 berth swift fairway 460 maximum fully loaded 1295kg (broadlane special) no its a good combination.

its our 2008 sterling elite onyx thats 1600kg fully loaded. im sure we tow at 88% if i remember.

jo-anne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a santa fe crtd gsi 2lt on a 03 and its only done 16k it drives lovely but I cant comment on the towing yet ,we are waiting to pick up are new van which weighs 1500kg , the car tows just under 1900kg, I have spoken to a lot of owners who tow with them and only had god reports, which is why we brought one.

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
sarah, i forgot to say the 5 seater 2.2 CRTD CDX doesnt have the self leveling suspension but the 7 seater does. the two extra seats are handy and so easy to put up and down.

the spec is so high on the cdx and the only thing it lasks if im honest is rds on the stereo but not everyone is bothered.

we had the santa fe in silver with the black leather which has the red piping is so nice. the privasy glass looks great on a silver car.

my sister has got a 57 plate nissan quashqai and it took months to get it and nissan messed her around no end. usually with hyundai they deliver pretty quick.

good luck

jo-anne
Hi Jo-anne

Thanks for info. I thinbk it may come down to a test drive in the end which we are doing in a couple of weeks.

Looked at the 7 seater but was worried it didn't have the privacy cover over the boot. Is this a problem?

Thanks

Sarah

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sara I felt that the 150bhp would be OK as its more power than the old XT and I felt that the original was OK at 112bhp

Also the 150 does not had the intercooler and so its less stressed as its getting less power from the same basic engine

It runs superbly and the 2 short tows to/from service have been effortless

The mpg is quoted as better with the 150 as well

It is higher geared than the old XT which should make for quieter motorway driving solo but may mean more towing in 5th

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sara I felt that the 150bhp would be OK as its more power than the old XT and I felt that the original was OK at 112bhp

Also the 150 does not had the intercooler and so its less stressed as its getting less power from the same basic engine

It runs superbly and the 2 short tows to/from service have been effortless

The mpg is quoted as better with the 150 as well

It is higher geared than the old XT which should make for quieter motorway driving solo but may mean more towing in 5th
Also had to have the intercooler replaced on XT2 so thought I would avoid it

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
sarah, i know what you mean about the privacy cover. i thought the same as you at first but it doesnt botther us now. even though we only have 2 kids the 6 + 7th seat are always up apart from when i am shopping. we go straight home after shopping and if i had have bought anything expensive then i would go home straight away or cover it up.

we didnt have a cover in our jeep grand cherokee.

have a test drive but we love the auto santa fe its just so smooth. also ask about delivery dates from both dealers.

im sure the nissan doesnt tow as much?.

good luck

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Also had to have the intercooler replaced on XT2 so thought I would avoid it
Hi again John

With the Passat we tended to find that the car was well down at the back with the van on - even though we were loaded correctly and the noseweight was correct etc. I think this was partly due to the soft suspension, being an estate car and the fact that the actual clearance on the passat is only about 10.7cm.

Presumably towing with the XT you can get a fairly level set up? Have you had to alter the suspension at all on the XT?

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have the 173 X-trail Sport, but haven't looked for a towbar yet. The car's destined to tow a 1500kg van (not decided which one yet).

We went for 4WD to avoid grass skids when moving the van in the garden, but wanted as good economy as reasonably possible.

Depreciation is the main expense with a new car of course - the X-trail should fare reasonably well. Fuel consumption is about 45 mpg (that's according to the dashboard instrument so say 42-43 mpg really) with 50mpg recorded over 150 miles recently with air-con on. No regrets so far...

The Caravan Club test on the X-T suggests that its suspension is up to towing (and so it should be!).

We thought the Santa Fe or the Kia cars would be a bit expensive in the long run, and some test reports are luke-warm.

Bryn
Hi Bryn

In your view is it worth spending the extra and getting the 173bhp? We only tow for a month a year so most of the time it will be without the van. As for depreciation - it looks as though the Nissan tend to hold their price better than the Santa Fe and we would be swapping again after 3 - 4 years so this is a consideration.

Many thanks for your comments. It feels like a minefield out there and we have had good feedback from both cars. Test driving next week hopefully although the test drive Nissan is the 173bhp and the garage don't have a 150bhp to compare!

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sarah

You asked whether the 173 is worth getting, rather than the 150bhp. I decided on the 173 for more relaxed towing (hate slowing down on hills) but if only the 150 had been available I'm sure I'd have been happy with that. The main difference is that the 173 has an intercooler, which some people had trouble with on the previous version. But the latest X-T uses a completely different engine (ah but is the turbo and i/cooler the same I hear you say - dunno).

The rear-view camera is cool - but

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bryn

Hope your 173 gives you lots of trouble free miles

I have found that the suspension has settled over an inch now

I am getting similar computer readings but the first full tank only gave 31mpg when dividing miles covered by gallons used.

Hopefully the next tankfull will be better

I've got the Explorer pack with the sat nav,rev camera and keyless ignition but no electrically folding mirrors

Having had 3 of the old XTs I have to say that Nissan have done a good job

Your 173 has 200kg extra tow allowance @ 2200 compared with 2000 for the 150

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i know that a lot of manu's give a maximum tow of say 2000 or 2200 but i wouldnt tow that much. my santa fe says with my van at 1600kg fully loaded im towing at 88% thats fine for me. there no laws that says you cant tow up to 100% but my personal choice is i will stick to the cc advise of 85% ish, my dad in law has been towing for 40 years and it hasnt done im any harm towing at about 85%.

some wont agree with me but this is my personal choice.

jo-anne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't tow that much either but it shows that Nissan think that the 173 is suitable for a towing heavier load and could be worth considering over the 150 if you are on the limit weightwise

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sarah

You asked whether the 173 is worth getting, rather than the 150bhp. I decided on the 173 for more relaxed towing (hate slowing down on hills) but if only the 150 had been available I'm sure I'd have been happy with that. The main difference is that the 173 has an intercooler, which some people had trouble with on the previous version. But the latest X-T uses a completely different engine (ah but is the turbo and i/cooler the same I hear you say - dunno).

The rear-view camera is cool - but

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

We have just ordered a new xt to replace our old one, we went for the aventura explora with the 173 hp. Collect the car early March and then have to get the tow bar fitted, dealer wanted over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I thought that my Witter fitted with 12N was a bargain at 3220+VAT

I have the Savannah colour It isn't listed as perlescent but it changes colour in different light conditions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts