New on the scene

Oct 4, 2005
Visit site
Hello everyone,

We have just decided to buy our first caravan, but I have a couple of questions.Our car is an Audi A4 2.4 petrol saloon 1998 and we have our eye on a 1996 Fleetwood Garland 185 twin axle,the caravan has a maximum weight of 1450kg and my car has a maximum towing limit of 1700kg.With a kerbweight of just 1350kg would my car be up to the job of towing it? the bit I'm confused about is that the maximum towing weight is more than 85% of the kerb weight do I need to look at buying a heavier car.

Thanks in advance for any replies, Colin

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 85% ratio is not written in stone and one can go higher so long as you are aware that you would need to exercise more care but in your case I would be very wary of going quite as high as what you would be faced with. As you have indicated that this will be your first caravan I assume that you do not have much experience. I would therefore strongly recommend that you reconsider your purchase.

If you passed your driving test after 1st Jan 1997 it would even be illegal unless you have a B+E licence.

Oct 4, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your replies just a small point on it being our first van, I have been pulling 40ft trailers for over twenty years so I dont find the task of towing a caravan that daunting however I do realise that they are not as stable as HGV's

Colin

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Colin,

Appologies for seeming abrubt in reply - lots of respect for towing now you've let that little fact slip out - however still say that you should stick to below 100% - first time one of your mates overtakes you, you will understand why. Probably like towing an unloaded high sided trailer across the severn bridge in a gale.

The clue is having a heavy anchor as a tow car so that the van never dictates to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts