New proposed car tax bands

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Because Germany does things differently does not mean we have to here.

Small island with a huge income from cars and it's about time we stopped government " dumping " on us.

Screw what others do ! MP's should show respect for what uk motorists pay for and have done for a long time.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
I agree I also think Politicians are only interested in what will keep then in parliament and there wage in the bank. Personaly as a motorist I am fed up of being taxed to the hilt fuel road or tolls perhaps in the future. We need to complain to OUR members of parliament OUR motoring and caravan organisations they are only as powerful as we the membership make them. Our magazines and internet forums should be voices with which we make ourselves heard to show these ill informed decision makers that this is the wrong way forward that cars and caravan lesure and industry need support not to be tax into demise. As a Civil Servant im not one to be anti-establishment but a wee bit of civil protest might not be a bad idea.

Martin

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I only gave details of the German system just as an example of how other countries handle the Road Tax issue. Heaven forbid, it was not meant to be particularly inspiring example as we are just as unhappy about our system.

The reason why petrol and diesel vehicles are treated differently, Clive, is because diesel fuel is taxed at a lower rate. The higher road tax for diesels means that there is a breakeven point after which diesels are cheaper to run, usually between 10,000 and 30,000km, depending on the fuel comsumption and the purchase price differential.

There is no tax relief on Road Tax for LPG or CNG vehicles. The savings come solely from the fact that there is no Fuel Tax on these products (at least until 2007 for LPG and until 2012 for CNG).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that Lutz - Amazing that politician it seems of any nation wants to tax something to within an inch of credibility!

Diesels are cheaper to run therefore what fuel tax is paid is diluted by the higher mpg (or kpl) achieved so to "compensate" you in Germany have to pay a higher road tax.

What the hell have we collectively done to deserve the politicians we get?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree I also think Politicians are only interested in what will keep then in parliament and there wage in the bank. Personaly as a motorist I am fed up of being taxed to the hilt fuel road or tolls perhaps in the future. We need to complain to OUR members of parliament OUR motoring and caravan organisations they are only as powerful as we the membership make them. Our magazines and internet forums should be voices with which we make ourselves heard to show these ill informed decision makers that this is the wrong way forward that cars and caravan lesure and industry need support not to be tax into demise. As a Civil Servant im not one to be anti-establishment but a wee bit of civil protest might not be a bad idea.

Martin
Agreed Martin - that is why I politely (for me at least!) indicated to GEORGE that whilst I respect his decision to do nothing - it is my belief that there is a LOT of truth in the saying that for evil to flourish - all it takes is for good men to do nothing.

I think a bit of civil disobedience as the French are prone to do would focus the numpty gravy train passengers attention.

It seems to work for the minorities - think what it could do for the not so silent majority?

Mar 22, 2005
Visit site
I have been amazed by the comments on this subject, do we all think global warming is not happening,talk about walking around with our eyes closed,I hate paying taxes as much as the next man, but something has to be done, if our kids are to enjoy thier hobbies as much as we do, and trying to lessen road pollution is one is one of those things. Lets all calm down and try and help solve the problem, not get our knickers in a twist calling each other names

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Agreed Martin - that is why I politely (for me at least!) indicated to GEORGE that whilst I respect his decision to do nothing - it is my belief that there is a LOT of truth in the saying that for evil to flourish - all it takes is for good men to do nothing.

I think a bit of civil disobedience as the French are prone to do would focus the numpty gravy train passengers attention.

It seems to work for the minorities - think what it could do for the not so silent majority?
im all for it Clive me and u dressed like E Pankhurst we could chain ourselves to Tony Blairs luggage might be fun to see what pop stars Villa we end up in

Jul 27, 2006
Visit site
There is once again a lot of ranting and raving going on here re: 4x4s and gas guzzeling cars. By speaking up on this forum who will notice - about the only one who might see it is Margaret Becket as a fellow caravanner. What is needed is an united front from ALL motoring related organisations, publications, clubs, etc. to lobby the idiots at Westminster. They have their large cars, presumably for protection as they must be bullet/bomb proof, etc. What is needed is a think tank to look at and make a constructive report on all forms of pollution whether it be from industry, transport, domestic, etc, and then come up with constructive recommendations.

Why not get heavy commercial vehicles off the roads and back on the railways, make public transport pay so that normal commuting would be more suited to this. The bus/train operators are only interested in profit and will not act in a manner to serve the public as needed. Apparantly a 125 train per passenger is one of the most polluting form of transport within the UK. The smaller commuter trains at present are not far behind them.

As far as the so called environmentalists are concerned they appear to want to go back to the dark ages - they are against fossil fuel, nuclear fuel, objecting to natural wave generators and now appear to be anti wind farms. What the hell do the want?

We all must make representation whatever our hobby is and choice of transport - be it pedal power or a 4x4. We must not let them win with another stealth tax. How many would this put out of work in all forms of industry? Industrial. commercial, retail and tourist industry would be very heavily affected.
Hi,very interesting reading i am a train manager,i have to drive a 78 mile round trip to work every day i work on express services typical 3 coach units,the fumes from these trains is stupid no wonder their are so many people suffering with asthma!the reason i have to drive all that distance is they keep reducing rail sevices i can not get a train to work,their are nearly as many trains running about OUT OF SERVICE than their is in service to get the trains from A-B,this so they dont have to pay a train manager to travel with the train,whatever hapend to labours public transport plans to improve public transport and use greener diesel,i urge eryone to contact their local rail user group to improve public transport this would surely free up some of our most conjested roads,steve

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Communications Engineering is my job Clive and without roads and 4 wheel drives and the car in general my business would be somewhat restricted. The whole comms business infact would be a lesser force withut roads and road users.

As soon as we have wi'fi in cars etc the better for the likes of me ;)

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
You forgot the duty tax you paid on the car as well Frank and the tax and vat on the fuel that you had to put in it as well.

Tax was probably over 10 grand .

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
I believe the reports are scare mongering by the media to push up sales. It is however interesting to see how the government reacted to pressure from the haulage industry and dramatically reduced the vehicle excise rate for goods vehicles when the fuel prices started increasing.

G

Arrived back in Blighty yesterday driving wifes Diesel X5, at the M25 services I nearly had a siesure at what you suckers (sorry) are paying for fuel. My daughter showed us what the local housing Tax is now and her gas and electric bills. I was so depressed for my kids we took them out to dinner, quite a nice Surrey restaurant with not to hot service and OK'ish food and wine. The bill for 9 of us

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Welcome back Euro.

We need someone else to ease our tax burden, please spend as much as possible whilst you are here. 653 starving MPs and of course the MSPs and Welsh MPs need every penny they can get their grubby little mits on.

I hope you had a really nice holiday

Val & Frank

G

We have houses near Waterford and Cork, I understand that living wise its not to bad. Cars are expensive I understand but I'm only interested in the camp sites, food and diesel prices.

G

We are on permanent holiday Frank and thank heavens we don't have to worry about car tax bands.

We take as much out of the UK as we can as our houses here are a main part of our pension. So what I spend I hope to get back!

I'm happy to spend in Ireland as they've never given me any worries unlike my homeland.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts