New S max from Ford

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
I am looking to change my Galaxy soon and am in two minds as to what to go for, a new shape Galaxy or the S Max diesel. Has anybody towed with the S Max diesel, if so whta is your views.

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Russell, I bought an S-Max 2.0 TDCi (140) last September and pull a Swift Charisma 570. We've been delighted with the car and its ability to tow. We had thought of a new Galaxy but after driving the S-Max realised why even Jeremy Clarkson liked it! All the more significant given its price compared to the galaxy. I would recommend it anyday. We have 3 young children and the seating etc. is perfect, but as a towing vehicle it is very good indeed. Stephen.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we have just returned from a week away towing our 20', twin axle Lunar 615 1400kg mtplm with our s-max 2.0tdi, there was never any hint of instability cruising at 60mph, occasionally hitting 70, We chose the S-max over the Galaxy for cost and style and we did not need the slightly larger load space. Although my knees are very bent in the rear seats there is actually more headroom than in our old Sharan despite what some reports say. I have reported in other threads that the S-max is actually more economical in 5th rather than 6th gear solo, 4th is more economical than 5th when towing, ie the six speed box is a waste of time.

MPG solo

54 @ 55mph in 6th

60 @ 55mph in 5th

37 @ 80mph in 6th

39.5 @ 80mph in 6th

MPG towing

27 @ 60mph in 5th

29 @ 60 mph in 4th

all figures gained using cruise control

TRENDING THREADS