new second hand caravan

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
hi
we pick our new second hand caravan up tomorrow (yer ha) and it has an 80 point pdi check cleaned inside and out its a 2005 sterling searcher
when we get it home we will clean the water system and clean inside again scrub tolite and anything else i think of we just wondered what other people do when they get it home for the first time

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
HI
I would be inclined to check everything over, make sure it all works as per, even though thet say it's all been checked, how many times have we read about things not working when members go away.
Ensure all the taps work, the heating works, battery charger, lights, gas points etc.
If you have an awning, and never put it up, try it, make sure all teh parts are there and you know haow to assemble it.
Enjoy, thats the important thing.

Richard

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
ment to add i will be sitting in it with a good old cup of tea, they have already rang to say fire needs a new motor and did i want to wait or still pick it up and take it back for fitting when part arrives, said i'd pick it up as planned tomorrow as i need to get new awning up to check ( and dead excited at getting it home) we have picked up a few cosmetic things that need doing.

its really just a case of opps i didn't even think about doing that lol so keep posting peeps
neil

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would check everything over again - fridge on electric and gas, water and space heates ditto, taps, toilet flush. I very much hope your PDI actually did what it says on the sheet but it is not totally unknown for the boxes to be ticked rather than the bits actually checked.
The other benefit is that you will then konw how everything works, where to look for the flames on fridge and space heater and how long it takes to fill water heater and de-air the system - much better than finding out on site when you could be having a G&T

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My tip, remove the toilet cassette and clean inside the housing - especially in those 2 little compartments that are at the bottom of the housing....

Mine were full of brown water...yuk

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Neil
Congratulations on your Sterling. Some good points have been mentioned already. Make sure that any manuals etc are with your caravan and after you have made sure that everything works, sprayed a bit of polish here and there and got the wallet out for the 1001 things that you've just got to have you could grab a copy of Practical Caravan's Top 100 Sites, sit and enjoy the ambience of your caravan and plan your maiden voyage somewhere nice.
Good luck and enjoy!

p.s. the dealers pdi seems fairly comprehensive and their follow up a month later to make sure that you are happy is good customer service. You are allowed to tell us who the dealers are, if they are as good as their word then they deserve wider publicity and more customers.

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
this is from there web page on what they do

All our used caravans undergo a 80 point Pre-Delivery Inspection (does not include Bargain Basement Caravans/Trade Sales).
  • Tyres, brakes, electrical systems and roadlights are all tested
  • All appliances and gas and water systems are tested for correct operation
  • Full valet inside and handwash outside
  • Full handover and instructions from your salesman on delivery
  • Post-sales follow-up by post one month after purchase. We do this to make sure you are happy with your caravan and the service you have received, during and after your purchase, to try and make our service to you better and give you the opportunity to give us your thoughts and ideas
The majority of our used caravans come with the peace of mind of a 12 month parts and labour warranty, which is unique to reads caravans

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
To follow on from Parksy, caravan instruction manual, sevice documents,CHRIS document, DAMP certificate must be available,& get the dealer to show you every thing is working ,such as water pump, fridge & fire on gas & electric putting up beds ect before you leave

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Neil
Silver Sorie
Two mad Springers and early morning walks to Solomons Temple. Subject to not too many beers the night before, LOL.

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Neil
Looks like a rally at Grin Low on 11th
We have also booked for the same time. Arranged with Dusty some time ago.
See you there.
Have the kettle on.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
neil_374410170 said:
reads caravans in leeds ,we are very happy with them so far......
I'm not surprised that the customer service is good Neil. Reads are the Practical Caravan National Caravan Dealer of the Year in addition to being regional winners. They are regular contributors to this forum and always offer helpful advice and information.
Well done Reads!

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
yes blackburn one was the winner so far will def use leeds again,

kettle is always on and solomons 3 times a day lol doggie heaven (thats why we chose the site) see you on 11th

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Neil
We got our first caravan, used, from Reads in Blackburn. They spent a lot of time doing the handover going over where everything was and how it worked, when we went away 2 weeks later we'd forgotten a lot, too much info and us waaay too excited. Lesson - take a notebook and write stuff down.
Ask lots of questions and make sure you understand. An extra 20 - 30 minutes at pick up is better than doing what we did and looking like idiots the first 2 times we set up on sites. Stories usually told after a couple of small glasses of grape juice

Relax and enjoy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts