New Sorento

Jun 26, 2006
Visit site
Currently own a 3 yo CRV diesel to tow Coachman Amara 520/4. Good combination and no problems with either car or caravan to date. My question is should I change the CRV now for a new Sorento XE at the bargain price of £14500? (I am guessing the huge reduction s due to credit crunch and new model at the end of the year). While I have no doubt the Sorento is a great tow car, I do worry that it will be too big and thirsty compared to the CRV as a daily family car. Will take it for a test drive on Fri but grateful for any advice or experience that anyone else might have.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have had an 04 XS auto since new and it is a great tow car. MPG is not really good enough ror a single car family unless you calculate your overall miles PA and see how it would work out. On the plus side its bbeen very reliable and has only recently had its firts problem, a stuck rear caliper which cost around

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Interesting combination. I've just bought an Arizona, 1500kg MTPLM, and need a towcar. I've been concluding from reviews that the CRV diesel is a bit light and perhaps a tad underpowered. How has your combination done? Do you ever get into top gear on a level motorway in any kind of headwind?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The overall outfit is very good when towing. The five speed auto box rarely gets it wrong and I tend only to use the manual gear seelctor (Sport) when going down hills and need the additional braking effect. As far as towing she will sit happily in 5th gear on motorways and good A roads, but does change down quickly if required to overtake, or if presented with a hill, but that is no more than I would do with a manual. It is not the sort of gearbox-engine match that is always changing and cannot make up its mind. Solo cruising at 70mph is very relaxed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I should have said that mine is the 2.5CRDI with 138bhp. The facelift Sorento has a more powerful engine ( 168bhp I think) but the same official fuel economy so that model may be worth looking at.

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
I've found if your fairly careful with your driving you can achieve

35mpg with the sorento and at that price I would definately snap it up while you can

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts